1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Sennheiser HD 600 Impressions Thread

Discussion in 'Headphones (full-size)' started by windsor, Feb 6, 2011.
  1. Ralf Hutter

Fahrvergnügen?

2. madwolfa
    I personally love the look of HD600. They look business. Like a nice German flieger watch - no-frills, indestructible, doing its job.

3. Mambosenior

...and a big AMEN to that! It's the next HP I'll buy...again, for the third time. Miss the good fellow every-so-often. (Used to be my Patricia Barber headphone.)

4. PinkyPowers

Exactly! If this watch were made of plastic. And not an especially strong plastic. Indestructible indeed!

5. madwolfa

So like my GW-5000 G-Shock then. [​IMG]

6. Argyris Contributor
    I highly doubt the HD 6x0 family of headphones is indestructible. Otherwise Sennheiser wouldn't sell replacement parts!

Now some of those two pound behemoths from the 70s that you see in the vintage headphones thread? They could double as wrecking balls, methinks. (I think you can tell which thread I've been perusing again).

7. madwolfa

Even tanks need servicing.

Argyris likes this.
  8. Arttt
    hd600 is a thing of beauty, all the flagship headphones and mid-fi stuff these days trying to be fashionable, and end up silly...
    clean professional look of hd600 is cool, ergonomics and simplicity ... neutral yet musical sound , all of it makes hd600 a classic.

i wish todays flagships stop putting money in Fashion looks and "luxury" materials, and put money in sound / ergonomics /durability ...

maybe then a pair of high end headphone wouldn't cost above 1k ...

9. martinrajdl

Which makes me question the design choices that went to HD800s even more, but I guess you could say they sacrificed the design in order to make them really comfortable ... but still.

10. Pahani
    Show them the Meze 99 Classics. I have a sneaking suspicion they'd be more receptive to those, as they seem to be trying to pigeonhole headphones into the category of a fashion accessory. Might be a touch too blingy, but I'd wager those are on the right track.

I'm quite drawn to the EL-8 look myself, if they could put LCD-X sound into that chassis (only based on Z Reviews description of the sound, not on personal experience), I'd have to buy a pair :)

11. MWSVette
    To me the order of importance is first how do they sound, second how comfortable are they, the last what do look like.

If they sound bad who cares what they look like.  If they are so uncomfortable they can only be worn for short periods that is not good.  

And I happen to like the look of the HD700.  HD800 somewhat less they are kind of large. The HD600's are understated in appearance compared to the other two but still a nice looking set of cans.

12. UtopiaB

To me there's no reason why a company can't give all three aspects with a 9/10 rating for each aspect. Superb looks, very comfortable, and great professional sound all in the one headphone should be quite easy to achieve in today's modern world, any experienced headphone company should be capable, so i'm surprised we don't see more headphones with the full combo. The Grados are butt-ugly to me, the Beyers look awful and archaic with no refinement to the aesthetic, and planar headphones look like a craftsman's workshop, not exactly stylish, just simplicity with no frills, type of Roles Royce Jaguar car with wooden interior panels.The Yamaha Pro500 is what I call a class act. It has ideal attributes... good-looking, pro sound, comfortable, PLUS highly resistant to damage.

13. madwolfa
    Look is too subjective to please everyone. Same goes with sound.

DavidA likes this.
  14. UtopiaB

Not really! 90% of people know when something looks ugly, and 90% of people know when they're hearing atrocious sound.

Yes, there is a middle ballpark where there is room for varied opinion, but the majority of people will have a general consensus, just saying.

15. Brooko Contributor

And there-in lies the flaw in your position.  We are all different.  To me the Yamaha Pro500 would be one of the ugliest headphones I've seen.  And I very much like the look of the HD600, and Grados have always been a gorgeous looking headphone - particularly with a decent wood finish [​IMG]

Argyris likes this.