Sennheiser HD 600 Impressions Thread
Jul 4, 2016 at 9:38 AM Post #15,271 of 23,423
  I just wish Senny would stop being so boring and release some sort of anniversary edition of the 600, in all silver maybe, or the new in-vogue copper-gold color making it's way onto many modern watches, that would be ace, and I bet it would sell by the truck load. Not such a bad idea, where is the anniversary edition of the HD600, anyone know if there was such a thing ever released?

A simple Google search would indicate the answer is no. The HD600 itself is a continuation of the HD580 Jubilee Edition.

I assume this is why you posted your comment, but this year is the 20th anniversary of the HD600's release. An anniversary release would be a great marketing move for Sennheiser.

(Source)

Jul 4, 2016 at 9:57 AM Post #15,272 of 23,423
  I just wish Senny would stop being so boring and release some sort of anniversary edition of the 600, in all silver maybe, or the new in-vogue copper-gold color making it's way onto many modern watches, that would be ace, and I bet it would sell by the truck load. Not such a bad idea, where is the anniversary edition of the HD600, anyone know if there was such a thing ever released?

Those that wanted to customize the color have already done so I don't think there is much of a market, Colorware only does a select few headphones and have stopped doing the HD-800 and only offer the HD-800S for new headphones, you can still send in your HD-800.

Jul 4, 2016 at 10:41 AM Post #15,273 of 23,423

I think a lot of people who say the HD 600 is ugly haven't actually seen one in person. I say this because I thought the same thing based on pictures, which all seem to make the speckle pattern look higher contrast than it actually is, almost like television static. In reality, as we all know, it's much more subtle, reminding me a little more of labradorite than marble (or static!). The overall design looks better to me in actual fact than it does in pictures as well. I still don't think it's a beautiful headphone by any means (Sennheiser's own Momentum is much nicer looking, IMO), but at least I don't see it as being unnecessarily ugly anymore.

As ever, taste is individual, and I certainly won't dispute the opinion of actual HD 600 owners who think their headphone is ugly. It's just that lots of people, like the one who started the linked Reddit thread, are likely basing their opinion solely on pictures they found on the Internet.

Jul 4, 2016 at 11:22 AM Post #15,275 of 23,423
It's amazing how you can't see it when it's on your head. Unless you look in a mirror, that is. And even then, I think the HD 6x0 family looks better worn than, say, the premium Beyer headphones, which look a bit like insectoid compound eyes bulging out the sides of your head. That said, Beyers are some of my favorite headphone designs, just not when actually on the head.

Jul 4, 2016 at 12:04 PM Post #15,276 of 23,423
Dem kids these days...

https://www.reddit.com/r/headphones/comments/4r6d7i/the_hd600_is_ugly/

Lol. I agree with him, of course. It would be nice if Sennheiser moved away from this ghastly design and gave us something a little more elegant. I know they're capable of it. The Momentum is gorgeous.

Still, sound comes first. When it sounds like the HD600, buy the ugly headphone.

Jul 4, 2016 at 12:55 PM Post #15,278 of 23,423
Lol. I agree with him, of course. It would be nice if Sennheiser moved away from this ghastly design and gave us something a little more elegant. I know they're capable of it. The Momentum is gorgeous.

Still, sound comes first. When it sounds like the HD600, buy the ugly headphone.

+1  Its all about the sound...

Jul 4, 2016 at 1:02 PM Post #15,279 of 23,423
Jul 4, 2016 at 2:01 PM Post #15,280 of 23,423
momentum is fashion item, lot of thought was put in its appearance  , just like with macbook for example ...

hd600 is a professional studio monitor and was targeting another crowd ... its not made to make you look cool or pretty ...hd600 is all about the sound.

but if you need something cool and pretty on your head, maybe you should get yourself a Tiara ...

Jul 4, 2016 at 2:08 PM Post #15,281 of 23,423
Am I the only one who things the HD600s look actually really good ? I prefer their "retro" and orpheus-like design to the new HD800 star trek design. I especially think that the huge grills look great (the HD600s black look a lot better than the HD650s silver ones IMO). Although, I agree that the marble color pattern isn't much to look at and I would prefer something a bit different - not that the HD650s metalic would be much of an upgrade. Sure I think I would look stupid wearing them in the public, but at home, I think they are one of the best-looking headphones out there, maybe even the best, but I still think the Audeze LCD line looks quite a bit better. 

Jul 4, 2016 at 2:25 PM Post #15,282 of 23,423
I miss the pattern on my HD650.
Both HD600 and HD650 are good looking headphones in my book

Jul 4, 2016 at 2:27 PM Post #15,283 of 23,423
  Am I the only one who things the HD600s look actually really good ? I prefer their "retro" and orpheus-like design to the new HD800 star trek design. I especially think that the huge grills look great (the HD600s black look a lot better than the HD650s silver ones IMO). Although, I agree that the marble color pattern isn't much to look at and I would prefer something a bit different - not that the HD650s metalic would be much of an upgrade. Sure I think I would look stupid wearing them in the public, but at home, I think they are one of the best-looking headphones out there, maybe even the best, but I still think the Audeze LCD line looks quite a bit better. 

Nope, not the only one. I like how the HD600s look too.

Also agree with the comments regarding that you don't see them on your head, you just feel them. The Hifiman HEK and HEX are both stellar headphones I've listened to and I absolutely wouldn't mind owning a pair if I had the money. But even more so than the HD600 (at least for those who think the HD600 looks ugly), the Hifimans look ridiculously stupid if you look at yourself in the mirror. But who puts a mirror in front of them while listening with headphones instead of, say a computer monitor or a TV screen?

I miss the pattern on my HD650.
Both HD600 and HD650 are good looking headphones in my book

My bro has the HD650 and I gotta say, over time, I've come to like the HD600's look more. I used to wish the HD600 had a similar finish to the HD650, but I love it now. They both look good.

Jul 4, 2016 at 4:07 PM Post #15,284 of 23,423

A simple Google search would indicate the answer is no. The HD600 itself is a continuation of the HD580 Jubilee Edition.

I assume this is why you posted your comment, but this year is the 20th anniversary of the HD600's release. An anniversary release would be a great marketing move for Sennheiser.

(Source)

I think maybe some of us should petition Senny via email and explain to them the merits of why an anniversary edition would most definitely be in order plus sensible and appropriate for this legendary headphone. 20th anniversary!! Doubtless it is worthy of it, c'mon Senny, wake-up, get to it Lol. But seriously, an anniversary edition with maybe a slightly tweaked frequency response pulling the treble peak down a tad and extending the bass a little, F ME, it would sell by the ship load, hell, it would probably become iconic even!

Jul 4, 2016 at 4:08 PM Post #15,285 of 23,423
momentum is fashion item, lot of thought was put in its appearance  , just like with macbook for example ...

hd600 is a professional studio monitor and was targeting another crowd ... its not made to make you look cool or pretty ...hd600 is all about the sound.

but if you need something cool and pretty on your head, maybe you should get yourself a Tiara ...

You're in the wrong thread, kid. Everyone here bought the HD600 regardless of their feelings on appearance.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back