1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Sennheiser HD 600 Impressions Thread

Discussion in 'Headphones (full-size)' started by windsor, Feb 6, 2011.
First

Back
998 999 1000 1001 1002 1003 1004 1005 1006 1007
1009 1010 1011 1012 1013 1014 1015 1016 1017 1018
Next

Last
  1. Argyris Contributor
    The M50, V6/7506, etc. have something else going for them as well: efficiency and practicality. The average consumer isn't interested in a headphone that can't be easily powered by anything they plug it into, and they probably won't see the point of an open back design because it doesn't isolate. Truth be told, for portable or general purpose use, I tend to agree.

Not to mention, the above listed headphones are quite durable. I've actually considered getting an M50x for tracking recently, since my SRH440 is on its last legs. I don't particularly care what the M50x sounds like for this purpose, since I'm more interested in the build and comfort, which I remember being quite good with the M50 I had years ago.

What somebody needs to do is make a closed headphone that sounds like the HD 600, that's durable, comfortable and easy to drive; and which costs $200 or less and is widely available. Also, I'd like a pony with that, and maybe a unicorn as well (if not both in one!).

That's exactly what happened to me. That and it was so much better than anything else I'd ever heard, I zeroed in on the detail aspect and the actual presence of a soundstage rather than on the balance, which, while initially impressive, eventually turned me off.

2. DavidA
    Whoever builds the "closed HD-600 for less than $200" first will make a killing, I can do without the pony/unicorn, no space for them, lol.

As for the M50, get some Shure velour pads, really makes them comfortable, the pads also fit the MDR-V6/7506.

3. PinkyPowers
    I really like the HD600 pads. But those Shure velour have caught my interest recently.

4. Argyris Contributor

Somehow I managed to find the space for both my HD 600 and a pony on my computer desk. These new, smaller ponies we have these days are very space efficient. They're a wonder of the modern world.

IMG_20160622_081817.jpg

DavidA likes this.
  5. DavidA
    I can't say the same for my listening table:
    Table-Top-1.jpg

6. Argyris Contributor

Yeah, I can see how that would be a problem. I can actually identify most of what's there. This would be a good test to see how involved with the hobby somebody are: how many of these headphones can they name.

7. kman1211

Honestly I found the closed-back compliment in the $200 range to the HD 600 already exists, in fact it's been in production before the HD 580/6XX even came out. It doesn't sound exactly like the HD 6xx though, more like a hybrid of a Beyer and the HD 6xx family. The Beyer DT 150 are some of the closest I've heard in terms of closed backs to the HD 600/650 without really taking a hit in fidelity as well as being reasonably priced. I'll personally take the DT 150 over the DT 880 due to its more organic well-balanced natural sound despite its slight FR response unevenness, which I can forgive due to its age and the fact it's closed. Though the DT 250 may be more like the HD 600 than the DT 150, its been too long since I've heard the DT 250 to be confident on this though.

8. Argyris Contributor

I've heard good things about the DT150. Apart from music usage, I think they double as projectile ammunition. Anybody besieged by a DT150-weilding army had best just surrender as those things could bring down any three walls in a row they were hurled at. Seriously, though, I have heard good things about the sound. I imagine the utilitarian design, as well as the relative inefficiency, is why they haven't really taken the hifi or mainstream markets by storm. The enemy castle, on the other hand....

I've also heard good things about the DT250, except that quite a few people have reported channel imbalance issues--even the InnerFidelity plot shows this. Some people have suggested it might be an endemic issue due to the cable connector altering the air volume of the left cup. I've looked at this headphone on numerous occasions, but I always have trouble convincing myself to spend around $200 on it.

9. PinkyPowers

Someone is a Grado slut. :p

10. DavidA
    There are only 2 true Grado's on the table (RS2e and SR-225e which is modded), the others are SennGrado-PX-100ii driver, Magnum V6 driver and PX-100ii driver in wood cups

11. kman1211

They are durable, but much lighter than you may think as they weigh about the same as the HD 600 if not a bit less. The DT 48 and DT 480 on the other hand could definitely be used as weapons... Efficiency on the DT 150 is about the same as the Senns. I think it's largely the looks, most people like their sound even those who aren't fans of Beyers. The plots on innerfidelity of the DT 150 were of the pair I owned which were a more recent pair(2014). Not sure if the older pairs sound much different(different pads, no idea if there were any driver updates).

Didn't know about the channel imbalance issue on the DT 250, makes sense as I assume there isn't much space in those earcups like on the DT 150. Would be nice if they used dual-entry cables like the HD 600/650 though, would of eliminated any potential issue like that. The DT 1770(my favorite headphone that I've owned, so natural and musical sounding) is known for a channel imbalance as well(especially early pairs it seems), I think it has to do with its dampening design based on my tinkering with dampening mods on the headphone. There is a rubber washer(which the glue came a bit loose on my pair so I modded the headphone by changing the dampening scheme, sounds better to me now honestly) connecting the driver assembly to the earcup for vibration control may not always connect properly to the housing causing some oddities at times.

12. Midgetguy
    Well I would say I only dabble in this hobby, but aside from the ones that are Grados or look like Grados, I could name or make a good guess of nearly every one of the headphones on that table. Confident of naming at least 10 of those on that table. Can I has internet points? [​IMG]

Funnily, unless it's buried under the pile on the left, there isn't an HD600 on that table [​IMG]

Argyris likes this.
  13. DavidA
    The HD-600 is not in the pile since my GF lent it to one of her girl friends when I took the photo and have since then sold the HD-600.  FWIW, 15 of my other headphones are not in the "family portrait".  There are 22 headphones in the pile, PM me if you would like to know how well you did

14. raybone0566
    This is the table that got me started. About 10k since then!

15. krismusic Contributor
    Me? One pair of headphones. HD 600 (of course!)
    One pair of CIEM's. Noble K10's
    All I need. :)

PinkyPowers likes this.
First

Back
998 999 1000 1001 1002 1003 1004 1005 1006 1007
1009 1010 1011 1012 1013 1014 1015 1016 1017 1018
Next

Last