1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Sennheiser HD 600 Impressions Thread

Discussion in 'Headphones (full-size)' started by windsor, Feb 6, 2011.
First

Back
996 997 998 999 1000 1001 1002 1003 1004 1005
1007 1008 1009 1010 1011 1012 1013 1014 1015 1016
Next

Last
  1. DavidA
    thanks for the reassuring that my hearing is not wacked

2. Brooko Contributor
    You should have seen the debates about the q-Jays (IEMs).  For me personally, its a wonderfully built and brilliantly tuned IEM.  But it has a spike at 8-9kHz.  Cue a lot of people saying - sibilant, peaky, [insert expletive here] etc.  I was scratching my head and wondering what the heck they were talking about.  In the end though - the only one that matters is your own opinion.

3. DavidA
    This is something I've noticed with the HD-700, its one of the few headphones that's really a love it or hate it, no middle ground.
    And I will go with what you said, only my opinion matters [​IMG]

4. madwolfa

In my case it was extremely annoying. I've found horrible sibilance in recordings where I had no issues with HD600 whatsoever.

UtopiaB likes this.
  5. kman1211

One way to test if you're sensitive to a frequency range is take a different headphone such as the HD 650, HD 800, T1, etc. and eq the 4-5khz region up a bit and see if it bothers you like the HD 600 did. If you want to help simulate the HD 600 more it may not be a bad idea to lower or raise other frequencies on those headphones to help better match it to the HD 600. If you're not bothered even after that it's possible the culprit lies outside the frequency response.

6. Feilong4
    Anyone got a solution for creaky joints connecting the headband to the driver housing?

I tried putting the driver housing on my HD600 headband (which is a lot older), and there was no creaking whatsoever but that's occupied by the HD600's.

I tried putting some cooking oil on the little connecting piece on the headband to allow more fluid movements but that didn't work for the creaking problem.

7. madwolfa

WD-40? :)

8. DavidA

Thanks for the suggestion but at this point its not a deal breaker.

Just tried and upped the 4k band,  with my SennGrado it made them a little harsh with some songs, just like the HD-600, with the HD-700, HD-800 and T1 even with the 4K band at +6 db it didn't make them harsh so I think its a combination of the frequency and the driver.

9. Feilong4
    Just sprayed some from your suggestion. I still got creakiness going on. I swear, I'm going to have to put the HD650 drivers on my HD600 headband if I ever want to listen with the HD650.

10. UtopiaB

JDSLABS C5D. But i'm waiting for the iBasso DX200 to be released, it'll have enough juice to crank the HD600/650 while obviously having the benefit of being a DAP, which means I won't have to do the Android-to-OTG thing anymore.

11. Argyris Contributor
    Just checking in here for the first time. For the past few days I've been running my new HD 600 through its paces. As in, I have to keep making myself take it off my head so I can go do other stuff. Stuff I can't do while wearing it, since I've even gone so far as to plug it into my Sansa Clip Zip and use it as a "portable" headphone.

I just have to say: why in the world did I wait so long to get one of these?!

I've long been an exponent of the DT880, and I stand by the positive things I've said about it over the years in this forum. But, and I feel almost guilty saying it, at this point I think the HD 600 is just flat out a better headphone. Maybe I was guilty of internalizing the "Sennheiser veil" nonsense, even though objectively I knew it was bunk, but somehow I was still expecting a polite, mid-centric headphone.

I'm not going to regale the thread with a blow-by-blow account of my impressions of the sound, since you all already know all about it. I'll just say I finally get what everybody in the hobby is talking about when they consistently place the HD 600 in the pantheon of world's best headphones, even as we've been inundated with piles of shiny new (and increasingly expensive) models in the 19+ years since the HD 600 was originally released.

I will say one other thing (gotta keep up my reputation for long-windedness, after all). A little over a month ago I went to see my first (classical) concert. The DSO was playing, among other things, Holst's Planets Suite. Yeah, I know, it's cliche, but I love this suite (even if Holst himself didn't), and I have at least half a dozen recordings of it. Aside from enjoying the performance (it was one of the best I've ever heard in any form), I paid close attention to the sound of the orchestra, and I was surprised at just how different it was from what any of my headphones at the time produced. I was already saving up for the HD 600 at that point, and going to the concert (complete with an evening in the city afterward) delayed me several weeks in finally making the purchase, but there was no question: taking the opportunity to listen to live music trumps listening to recordings. When I got my HD 600, one of the first things I did after spending a little time getting used to the sound was load up my favorite recording of the Planets (Dutoit / OSM). And, wouldn't you know it, the tonal balance was spot on with what I remembered from the live performance. So, I ended up having to wait a little longer to finally get my headphone, but learning that the HD 600 indeed matches well with how an actual performance sounds made the whole thing worth it.

12. MarcusHe
    @Argyris

I've had my HD 600s for a couple of weeks now and I couldn't agree more! The 600s present music in such a natural and realistic way that sounds really amazing.

13. goldtuba

That is exactly why I haven't felt the need to upgrade.  Use a good source and a decent amplifier, and you don't want anything else.  I'll put on my heavy-grade vinyl copy of Mehta conducting Las Angeles playing the Planets, and I'm in a different world.  Well, 7 different worlds.

By the way, who is conducting the DSO now?  I had to double check because we have the DSO in Dallas as well.

14. Argyris Contributor

Sorry, should have made the city clearer. I keep forgetting those initials aren't unique. These days Leonard Slatkin is the principal, at least through the next few years. After that he plans to take a step back in a sort of part-time arrangement. For this particular performance, though, we had Peter Oundjian from the Toronto Symphony Orchestra as a guest. He did a great job. The Planets seems to be a tough work to interpret, despite the impression perhaps given by its ubiquity--conductors often seem to favor either the bombastic movements or the softer ones, leading to an uneven overall performance. Oundjian didn't have this problem at all--he was able to transition effectively from the menacing antics of Mars and Uranus to the lyricism and pensiveness of Venus and Neptune, respectively; his Mercury was animated and playful; his Jupiter ebullient, the chorale being particularly uplifting; and his Saturn carried the sense of inexorability and building suspense that makes this movement so effective in the right hands. I wish I could get a recording of that performance, even if nothing could replicate the experience of being there in person.

Interestingly, while the HD 600 does a good job replicating the balance I heard from where I was sitting, which was front row and to the far left, I would have chosen a seat further back if I could have, and closer to the center. As it was, I was hearing the bass section through the other instruments, as they were on the right side of the stage. I wonder if I had gotten my preferred seating arrangement if the HD 650 would actually have been a better match for what I heard. Not that I'm really that interested in the HD 650, though I would certainly take the opportunity to listen to it if I ever came across one. The HD 600 is as close to perfect in tonality as I've ever experienced, to the point that the way I hear the music in my head is often exactly how it sounds through the HD 600, whereas before I always had to go through a quick adjustment period with whichever other headphone I chose.

15. goldtuba
    I hadn't realized that Slatkin had left St. Louis.  As much as we all to have the most transparent audio reproduction system that we can afford, nothing can replace sitting in the concert hall.  We have been spoiled in Dallas with a top of the line hall, as well as a top of the line conductor.  Jaap Van Zweden has transformed Dallas into a great orchestra.  I hated Andrew Litton; his concerts were always boring.  They were completely devoid of dynamic changes or large tempo changes.  His largo tempos were not that much different than his allegros.  I went to the first weekend that Van Zweden conducted when they were performing Mahler's 5th Symphony.  That was by far the best classical concert I have ever attended.  I always seem to get to go to his best concerts.  I saw him conduct Rite of Spring from right over the tubas.  I'm sure that you can guess from my screen name, that was quite a treat for me.  I also saw him conduct Shostakovitch 7, Beethoven 9, and Tchaikovsky 5.  I only have one more season to watch him conduct as he is about to take over in New York.

While the HD600s don't have the widest soundstage, they remind me of being on the podium.  I haven't had a chance to conduct an orchestra before, but I have spent plenty of time in front of concert bands.  I tend to prefer doing my score study with my Sennheisers as apposed to my speaker system.

You should head over to a relatively new classical music thread.  It's a pretty laid back group.  http://www.head-fi.org/t/808665/popular-classical-music

Argyris likes this.
First

Back
996 997 998 999 1000 1001 1002 1003 1004 1005
1007 1008 1009 1010 1011 1012 1013 1014 1015 1016
Next

Last