1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Sennheiser HD 600 Impressions Thread

Discussion in 'Headphones (full-size)' started by windsor, Feb 6, 2011.
First

Back
995 996 997 998 999 1000 1001 1002 1003 1004
1006 1007 1008 1009 1010 1011 1012 1013 1014 1015
Next

Last
  1. kman1211

Some DACs and some amps can definitely cause harshness in a headphone that shouldn't been there. But I've come across headphones where sibilance and excess sparkle doesn't really bother my ears at all. I wouldn't call the HD 600 sibilant unless it's on a sibilant system. The HD 600 has amazing tuning. What I personally would call the HD 600 compared to higher-end headphones(such as the HD 800, various orthos, Stax, etc.) is a bit slow in its transients and a bit blurred and gritty(which can be fatiguing to some people) at times in comparison because of that.

2. UtopiaB

I've heard that same comment many times before, but I don't agree. I've amped it with outright pure clean power and a neutral DAC, and still sounds the same as always to me.

3. DavidA
    Since you made such a broad statement can you explain why with the same music/DAC/amp that sibilance is not an issue for me with a HD-700, HD-800, T1 or DT-990, all headphones that many would consider way pass the HD-600 in terms of being considered harsh/sibilant?  Could it also be that individuals have different tolerances to different frequencies?  Yeah, its easy to say that the DAC or music is the problem but that is not always the case and not all SABRE based DAC are harsh, it depends on the design/implementation also.

4. audiojun

My HD 650 has bass like a closed back headphone, tight and impactful, my T3 does have a tight grip on the drivers so the bass is really well controlled not wolly at all. The 650 keeps surprising me, it has better bass than my HD 800. My 650 is modded though.

out of the crack the 650 bass sounded wolly.

raybone0566 likes this.
  5. kman1211

It's really a myriad of things that causes harshness. People often state frequency response spikes, dips, etc. as being the main cause for harshness, etc. Same with the system sometimes unfairly being blamed for problems when it could very well be the headphone even if it's highly regarded. All those headphones also bothered me less than the HD 600 myself. In my personal experience it's actually just as often related to driver material and design, magnet design, transients, etc. that causes fatigue just as often(sometimes more) as frequency response of a headphone. But it really depends on the person and what they are sensitive to. Different people definitely have different tolerances of different frequencies.

6. madwolfa
    Given a fairly neutral headphone like HD600, harshness is almost always a result of poor quality recordings played at excessive volume levels.

7. raybone0566
    what amp are you using

8. ProtegeManiac Contributor

Or hyperacusis.

9. Midgetguy
    Except that harshness or sibilance can certainly be caused by the HD600 and any other headphone for that matter. Other than yourself, you have no way of definitively saying who has how much tolerance to whatever frequency. It's perfectly valid for a headphone to be harsh or sibilant; it's much more reasonable than saying "nah, your ears are clearly bad. The headphone isn't having problems, your ears just suck." Everyone hears differently or we'd only need one headphone maker with a line of like 5 headphones.

10. Brooko Contributor
    It can't actually. Headphones aren't sibilant. Recordings can be. The frequency response of the headphone can mask, reveal, or enhance sibilance - but it must exist in the recording in the first place. Again headphones do not CAUSE sibilance.

Argyris and Midgetguy like this.
  11. Midgetguy
    Good point, thanks for the correction. In that logic, it's very plausible for the HD600 to enhance the sibilance to certain people depending on they're ears?

12. Brooko Contributor
    Yes - particularly if they are susceptible to sibilance at around 4-5 kHz.

13. Midgetguy
    Great, I've got one post out of 1,963 posts that actually makes sense. I'll get myself up to 5 useful/accurate posts out of the sea of posts someday [​IMG]. As usual, thanks for the clarification.

14. DavidA

Thanks for this post, I guess my hearing is not that wacked.

Quote:

Is this one of many reasons why the highs of the HD-700/800/T1 don't bother me as much as the HD-600?, I'm just extra sensitive to this particular frequency range?

15. Brooko Contributor

I'd say it is extremely likely David.  I know a lot of people have issues with the 6-7 kHz area as well - and it doesn't bother me in the slightest.  So I have no issues with either the HD800 or HD700 - where others find them quite peaky.

First

Back
995 996 997 998 999 1000 1001 1002 1003 1004
1006 1007 1008 1009 1010 1011 1012 1013 1014 1015
Next

Last