Sennheiser HD 6,7 & 8 DJ thread. Opinions, reviews, feedback, pics, discussions, etc.
Oct 15, 2020 at 11:50 PM Post #1,126 of 1,133
hd6mix.jpg
Once you popped off the tab, you'll see some screws holding the headband and pad in place, unscrew and the headband will be free. I think you have to do it for both sides as the headband pad is held securely in place by both pads.

Personally, this was a much improvement in comfort for me as the OG were not supportive enough! I prefer the HD650 head pad more than the HD600!

Good luck, you should be able to work it out!
Been trying to pop out the plastic piece but it seems like I'm using too much force. Is it like popping it in this video?

Also would you recommend the HD650 over the HD600 headband padding for the DJs? You're right that the stock padding doesn't have enough support and your head ends up touching the plastic bits, but I'm not sure which headband padding would prevent it the most. It seems like the HD600 ones have more support, but you seem to prefer the HD650 ones.

Oct 16, 2020 at 3:52 AM Post #1,127 of 1,133
Been trying to pop out the plastic piece but it seems like I'm using too much force. Is it like popping it in this video?

Also would you recommend the HD650 over the HD600 headband padding for the DJs? You're right that the stock padding doesn't have enough support and your head ends up touching the plastic bits, but I'm not sure which headband padding would prevent it the most. It seems like the HD600 ones have more support, but you seem to prefer the HD650 ones.
From memory, I believe the process is very similar to that but once you pop open the tabs, there are some screws inside. (Please forgive me if this is not right as I did this a while ago!)

The 650 head pad fits my head just that little bit better, the 600 head pad is fine and I don't get any discomfort from it. It's just the 650 just feels more natural on my head. Ymmv!

Just check your head, do you have a little bump on your crown? Either pad will be an upgrade to the stock one! :)

P.s. I don't remember digging underneath or from the bottom to pop the tab out, I remember doing it from the exact spot I showed you on the picture. You see the little indent?

Oct 18, 2020 at 7:51 PM Post #1,128 of 1,133
From memory, I believe the process is very similar to that but once you pop open the tabs, there are some screws inside. (Please forgive me if this is not right as I did this a while ago!)

The 650 head pad fits my head just that little bit better, the 600 head pad is fine and I don't get any discomfort from it. It's just the 650 just feels more natural on my head. Ymmv!

Just check your head, do you have a little bump on your crown? Either pad will be an upgrade to the stock one! :)

P.s. I don't remember digging underneath or from the bottom to pop the tab out, I remember doing it from the exact spot I showed you on the picture. You see the little indent?
q1.png

Sorry to keep bothering, but can you take a look at the image. I'm still confused as hell.

Oct 18, 2020 at 8:22 PM Post #1,129 of 1,133
q1.png
Sorry to keep bothering, but can you take a look at the image. I'm still confused as hell.
Ok, grab a flat-head screwdriver, place it in the slot and twist gently! The bottom nub will hopefully slide down and you should be able to access the headband!

I just pulled it out to confirm, the rest should be ezi-pzi lemon squeezy!

Good luck! :)

Oct 18, 2020 at 10:02 PM Post #1,130 of 1,133
Ok, grab a flat-head screwdriver, place it in the slot and twist gently! The bottom nub will hopefully slide down and you should be able to access the headband!

I just pulled it out to confirm, the rest should be ezi-pzi lemon squeezy!

Good luck! :)
Is it possible to get a picture of it pulled out and the structure underneath? Sorry if I'm asking for too much. I'm just confused as to what the slot is. The slot where the headband pad goes under? Or the slot that the red inside rectangle is indicating?

Last edited:
Dec 13, 2020 at 9:35 PM Post #1,131 of 1,133
Recently picked up a couple sets of the HD8. Frankensteined one together to create a pristine version. Have to say they actually have exceeded my expectations.

I have used many closed backs from Fostex TH-X00/900, MDR series incl. 7506,7520,MDR1a, Senn HD25, Amperior, 250 Linear (600ohm), 280, 630VB, Denon D2000,600.

I really quite liked the TH-X00. But I actually prefer the HD8 over them. These are actually among my favourite closed backs I have used and may be my number one just by their tuning.

A bit of background, I was a DJ in the 90s/00s, helped put on large festivals. This headphone captures that sound, being outdoors with a massive speaker stack. The rumble and energy you get from basslines and drum machine kicks are all here.

The mid range tuning and treble is excellent, it allows you to turn it up, and only by doing this do you immerse yourself in it's sound. The technicalities on display are here. Very low distortion, and an overall a very linear natural sound, though it has its veil.

This isn't accurate in the typical sense. My Focal Utopia and Etymotic I would regard as classically accurate. However, this is accurate in terms of recreating the emotion, experience and energy of large-room club/concert dynamics. One that is well-damped. Where the space creates diffusion with a roll off in the treble (obviously depending where you are in the room).

So my Utopia have actually been set aside pretty much since I've got these. They are just sheer joy to listen to. I don't think I'd recommend them for everyone or as a primary can, but if you get the references that I described above this can is the real deal. I've also enjoyed using them for movies (5.1 spatial rendering via Atmos) and combined with a SubPac which is just bass heaven.

I'd put the driver quality in this above the HD650 - and it certainly has that modern pedigree. This is a very well designed niche headphone. If someone was looking for something with a more neutral signature from Sennheiser than the HD630VB is also excellent. Though I prefer these for what I want out of closed back to compliment my other sets.

In short these are outstanding and I think have been overlooked because of their DJ status. Easily one of my Sennheiser favourites alongside HD800, HD650, and HD25.

Last edited:
Dec 14, 2020 at 9:52 AM Post #1,132 of 1,133
Recently picked up a couple sets of the HD8. Frankensteined one together to create a pristine version. Have to say they actually have exceeded my expectations.

I have used many closed backs from Fostex TH-X00/900, MDR series incl. 7506,7520,MDR1a, Senn HD25, Amperior, 250 Linear (600ohm), 280, 630VB, Denon D2000,600.

I really quite liked the TH-X00. But I actually prefer the HD8 over them. These are actually among my favourite closed backs I have used and may be my number one just by their tuning.

A bit of background, I was a DJ in the 90s/00s, helped put on large festivals. This headphone captures that sound, being outdoors with a massive speaker stack. The rumble and energy you get from basslines and drum machine kicks are all here.

The mid range tuning and treble is excellent, it allows you to turn it up, and only by doing this do you immerse yourself in it's sound. The technicalities on display are here. Very low distortion, and an overall a very linear natural sound, though it has its veil.

This isn't accurate in the typical sense. My Focal Utopia and Etymotic I would regard as classically accurate. However, this is accurate in terms of recreating the emotion, experience and energy of large-room club/concert dynamics. One that is well-damped. Where the space creates diffusion with a roll off in the treble (obviously depending where you are in the room).

So my Utopia have actually been set aside pretty much since I've got these. They are just sheer joy to listen to. I don't think I'd recommend them for everyone or as a primary can, but if you get the references that I described above this can is the real deal. I've also enjoyed using them for movies (5.1 spatial rendering via Atmos) and combined with a SubPac which is just bass heaven.

I'd put the driver quality in this above the HD650 - and it certainly has that modern pedigree. This is a very well designed niche headphone. If someone was looking for something with a more neutral signature from Sennheiser than the HD630VB is also excellent. Though I prefer these for what I want out of closed back to compliment my other sets.

In short these are outstanding and I think have been overlooked because of their DJ status. Easily one of my Sennheiser favourites alongside HD800, HD650, and HD25.

Hmmm, interesting. I got these back in 2016, or so I think... I didn't like em. Something was very wrong about them.They were surely the most expensive cans I got at the time, around $400 almost. I never kept them. I found them to sound less res than even the M50x's. They were very fatiguing. For low-end performance, I would even have credited my VModa LPs at the time. Anyways, so many years down now, and I've since gotten the EMU-Teaks (X00 variants) which I think really nip them in the bud.

Focals are something else entirely, which I actually think ARE speaker like in their presentation. The 6XX I have are much decent too.

In short, I never kept them long enough, the HD8DJs. I believe they've been overlooked, fairly.

Mind you, as a DJ headphone, maybe they're almost up there... but maybe the VModa crossfades still bring em down. But that's it.
Even for monitoring and a more reasonable resolution and faithful reprod, I'd vouch for the M50x/M40s maybe now the M70s.

But would never for these. Still seems to me the worst decision ever, only behind the M-Audio HDH50s.

That... is my take.

Dec 23, 2020 at 11:39 PM Post #1,133 of 1,133
M-Audio HDH50s are superb, what is wrong with you? =p

But not as resolving as HD8DJ, HD380, HD650, DT770, or HRM7. I certainly wouldn't lump HD8 into HD650's tier of resolution and sonic finesse. Same goes for HD630VB.

Ah, the M70x. I like that one and M40x from the same line. It is impressive, just needs a little upper mids attenuation. I would have kept it were it not for HRM7, which I feel is all around better, though also suffers from a little upper mids emphasis. But the internet masses rave tiresomely about the M50x that I very much dislike, and call it a bass can, hilarious!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back