Sennheiser HD 598s worse than Bose IE 2 ear buds??
Mar 6, 2012 at 12:33 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

musicb0x

New Head-Fier
Ok, so i've been burning in my 598s for at least 35 hours, and they still can't compare to the balance, engaging, and fun of my IE 2s, at least with the extra $150 price difference. I only have 3 more days before I can return them, but should I really risk it? And yes, I wanted to pay full price so I knew that they were legit and would last me years and years because for this much money, these are the only headphones I intend to buy for a long time. I should put out there that I really, really love my IE 2s, everything about them. Especially with the FiiO E10 that I bought for the Sennheisers. But I have the IE 2s for when I work or exercise, and I wanted the Senns for a more private, engaging, and immersive experience. I did the research, and in the price range, they sounded perfect. But it's just not happening. Again, I want to put out there I put most value into an engaging and fun experience. I couldn't give less of a damn about detail. I listen to about 85% rock and the rest electronica like Sugarpill and Datsik, and the IEs 2 are always perfect, but the Senns just refuse to come to fruition, for the price. For the last 15 hours, they've just sounded pretty much the same. Do I risk it??

Mar 6, 2012 at 12:35 AM Post #2 of 13
Have you been listening to them for 35 hours total, or have you just left them playing by themselves?

Mar 6, 2012 at 12:47 AM Post #3 of 13
Playing them by themselves. Just leave them in my room, on my music player, on shuffle, constantly, except for the the breaks to recharge the the FiiO and give the Senns a rest for about a day

Mar 6, 2012 at 12:59 AM Post #4 of 13
I know this would be cutting it close, but try to listen to them as much as possible before returning them. It has taken me a full week to even begin to like the sound of headphones that I love now. I am a believer in burn-in but I also believe that getting accustomed to the headphones makes an even bigger improvement.

It is possible that you simply like the Bose better, and there's nothing wrong with that. I do find your decision odd, though. "Fun and engaging", and good with rock and electronica does not sound like 598's to me. Also, you picked open backed headphones for a "private" experience? I would've gone with closed headphones like Ultrasones or Beyer DT770s, or even the Fischer FA-003 for a more natural sound.

My advice is keep using the headphones until the latest possible return date, and if you don't like them better by then, return them and try another headphone. No sense keeping them around if you like the Bose better.

Mar 6, 2012 at 1:07 AM Post #5 of 13
Well, what were you expecting? Maybe you just prefer a different sound signature. There is no "Best" headphone for everyone since we all have a preferred sound signature. Maybe you want more bass, more forward mids or more treble? What is it in the signature of the IE2 you miss with the HD-598? I guess the mids of the HD-598 aren't engaging to everyone like they are for me.

The IE2 is anything but balanced. It seems more focused on bass. I've had a pair awhile back, but it was the original.

Maybe you should return them and get an XB500 or DT-770 Pro 80. Maybe find something to match the signature of the IE2.

Mar 6, 2012 at 3:14 AM Post #7 of 13

I haven't heard the IE2, but I've tried a few Bose headphones, and one thing I would note as a "similarity" (house sound, if you will) is a preference for a v-curve/hi-fi smile signature. The HD 598 does not do that. There are other headphones that accomplish this though, and there'd be a few places to start looking. The first/immediate suggestion would probably be the Bose AE2. If that doesn't do it for you, I'd look at the Ultrasone HFI-2400. I'm specifically suggesting these two for a reason: they're both under SRP of the 598, so if you have to eat a restocking fee or taxes you can probably still get one of them - in theory you could snag both (for around $350) and keep whichever you prefer, just make sure wherever you buy the HFI-2400 from has a good return policy (and only buy the Bose from Bose; you don't get a pricing advantage going third-party, but it DOES make returns more annoying). 

What I remember of the HD 595 (and I have no idea how dissimilar it may be to the 598) is a fairly humdrum and boring headphone - it presents everything, but it doesn't get very "emotional" about it; this isn't "flat" or "analytical" - it's just boring. There's lots of headphones that do the opposite, and impart their own "flavor" to the music. If you aren't happy with the HD 598, I'd say return them, and try something else - worst case scenario you're re-buying them in six months (which isn't that big of a deal). 
Quote:
I guess, from the IE 2s, I would want lows that hit adequately that has happy highs with natural mids. Altho, maybe that's what everybody wants? damn.. I don't know

Mar 6, 2012 at 5:03 AM Post #8 of 13
I wasn't impressed with the hd598's at first either. They grow on you after about a week and become amazing soon after.

Also, keep in mind what kind of sound profile the hd598 provides when fully burned in. (laid back and airy.)

Mar 6, 2012 at 9:58 AM Post #11 of 13
Well, considering burn in is a myth, okay.

Quote:
I wasn't impressed with the hd598's at first either. They grow on you after about a week and become amazing soon after.

Also, keep in mind what kind of sound profile the hd598 provides when fully burned in. (laid back and airy.)

Mar 6, 2012 at 11:14 AM Post #12 of 13
You also have to get accustomed to the sound, though I do believe in burn in as well... more on some phones than others.  The 598s were pretty so-so when I got them but really shine now.  Though they are not that engaging all the time, they are very airy and best with classical music or soothing female vocals due to their sound stage and warmth.

Also if you do like more bass, I'm a new dt770/80 owner and loving them.  Much more engaging for my electronic music / euro pop.  They are much more "in your face" but not as much as Grado (not a big Grado fan though I only own the sr125).  They also have a decent sound stage for a closed set tbh.

Mar 7, 2012 at 4:15 AM Post #13 of 13
Funny how you're the only one on head-fi that says that, and both my IE 2s and 598s sounds significantly better than they originally did after prolonged use. Also as a musician, I've very analytical of sound. I tend to search for certain characteristics. I think the "ears relaxing" is more of a myth, except it's one with slightly more premise.. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back