Sennheiser HD 598 vs AKG K 272 vs AKG 240MKII [review]
Sep 21, 2012 at 6:19 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

FULLAUDIO

New Head-Fier
HI everyone first I want to apologize for my English. I hope it will be readable.
I have just purchased a Sennheiser HD 598.
Before I bought it I was searching on head-fi and on Google for a direct comparison of Sennheiser HD 598 and AKG K 272 or 240 (which I own).
I have found only a few of them, so I did another side-by-side comparison myself:

AKG K 240: precise sound, punchy bass, clear sound, dark sounding, relaxing, balanced, good comfort, open sounding (not as good as senn).
shines in: metal (very good), (any other genres are also great)

Sennheiser HD 598: very comfy, punchy tight bass (a little overpowered for my taste), huge soundstage, very clear and open sounding, fun to listen to (colored)
shines: Female Vocals, acoustic music. (and is great almost in every genres)

So lets start with AKG K 272:
These are closed cans, I will not write any specifications (I think you already know them if you are reading this).
So lets start with comfort and isolation. The isolation on these headphones is pretty good, not as good as on DJ cans but its good enough so environment will not disturb you, they do leak some sound out, but its just a bit so somebody next to you will hear what are you listening to but it will not disturb him its just a little noise. About the comfort, these are Very comfortable you can wear them about 12 hours without any problem, they are light and sitting nice on my ears.
And now the main thing:
The SOUND:
They do have closed can feeling (surprisingly :D) the sound is little rolled of " a little muffled" , they have pretty good depth and space "soundstage" in the sound, space is bigger than on AKG K 240 I think, but a lot thinner than on HD 598 . The bass is precise and strong but feels more boomy than on AKG K 240 or senn: where the bass is more punchy. The clarity of the sound is
I don't want to say: "the worst" cause its great but its the least clear sounding of these 3 but its still pretty good, but it has really detailed sound maybe more detailed than senns, I can't say cause I am only beginner but feels like there is going a lot more detail in the sound of 272 than 598. I think it is faster sounding than 240, almost any genre sounds good on these. I listen to all genres like: acoustic music, dance, elektronica, house, pop, rock, metal and these do pretty well in all of these. the mids are good, voices are good, the sound feels precise but fun to listen to. for 160 dollars its really good deal. They are really a headphone which is fun to listen to.

The second: AKG K 240MKII
These are Semi-Open
Man these sound great, for my taste :D. Its a lot "closer (nearer to your ear)" sounding than the 272HD a lot airier and clearer.
They do not have that big space in the sound that the 272 do, but they sound better for my taste I was listening to some linkin park (they sounded great but I think they sounded better on the 272HD) than I listen to some metal Like "Nightwish I want My tears back" I tough: they sound really great and then the guitar solo comes: and I don't know how it is said in English :D in our language its a goose skin :D or chill on the back, it sounded awesome, the upclose sound on the guitar sounded awesome. They are dark sounding and that makes them relaxing I think. I really enjoyed the sound. They are fun to listen to but they do not sound so fast I think, so I find them relaxing :D, the mids are great, the high frequencies are also great the bass is punchy and its strong, not "boomy" (that's great for me). They sound precise not colored at all I think.
--
About comfort: they are not as comfortable as the 272HD are, but its still very very good I can wear them all day and nothing hurts. :D
Isolation is something between HD 598 and 272HD, its isolating, but not as good as HD 272HD and not so little like the HD 598 do. Definitely not for loud environment they do leak a lot noise out too.

And Finally the HD 598

As I heard the 240 and 272, I did not thought that something can sound better in this price range. When I first heard HD 598 my feelings were: Oh that's clear! and my mouth went down when I heard the huge soundstage. :D For me the Sennheiser HD 598 is top of these 3, its a lot clearer and airier sounding than the 240, It has a huge soundstage "huge space". The mids are awesome, colored but the details are there, the highs are really really great and the Voices sound amazing, Female voices especially , The bass is tight, punchy, strong for my taste a little more stronger than I like, but its OK , They generally sound a lot Brighter than the AKGs. For my taste the Huge soundstage, bright , relaxing, detailed sound wins, if you want more darker sounding headphone go with the 240 they are really great too , they are not colored, they are precise but although fun sounding. the 240 is really good opponent to HD 598 but its different sounding headphone, it depends only on your taste for me the HD 598 sounds better.

PS: I am just a beginner in better headphones so if you don't agree so post comment and we can discuss about it :D.

Last edited:
Sep 24, 2012 at 3:27 AM Post #2 of 4
Very good review
beerchug.gif

Sep 24, 2012 at 3:48 AM Post #3 of 4
Nice reviews. The 240s will always be my first headphone love. Nobody can pretend they're technically amazing or have a cutting-edge, high-resolution sound or anything but they're just something you put on and have trouble taking off.

Oct 29, 2012 at 2:42 AM Post #4 of 4
You're right. I really really really wanted the K240; dreaming with them kind of want. Then I tried the 595 and the 598...and the bass, soundstage, and imaging got me. They are definitely the best bang for the buck! Still, I prefer the AKG's styling over the 5XX series flagships'. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back