Sennheiser HD 598 vs AKG 612 Pro. What is the better choice for classical music?
Jun 10, 2015 at 6:48 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Cmahesh

New Head-Fier
Hi, I am totally new to head-fi. At present I am using Sennheiser HD 380 Pro headphone with Asus xonar u7 and focusrite scarlet solo as audio interfaces. I mostly listen to classical music. Although I am happy with the cureent experience with HD 380 Pro, I would like to explore the sound quality of open backs as well. According to my budget, I am considering sennheiser HD 598 or AKG K612 Pro. I would like to know your opinions regarding what is the better choice for classical music. (I have no prior experience with open backs).

Thank you

Jun 10, 2015 at 11:38 AM Post #2 of 11
Hi, I am totally new to head-fi. At present I am using Sennheiser HD 380 Pro headphone with Asus Xonar U7 and Focusrite scarlet solo as audio interfaces. I mostly listen to classical music. Although I am happy with the cureent experience with HD 380 Pro, I would like to explore the sound quality of open backs as well. According to my budget, I am considering Sennheiser HD 598 or AKG K612 Pro. I would like to know your opinions regarding what is the better choice for classical music. (I have no prior experience with open backs).

Thank you

The AKG K612 Pro is a little more power hungry, then the HD598.
So not 100% sure your current hardware can bring out the best, in the K612 Pro.

Jun 10, 2015 at 10:09 PM Post #4 of 11
Thank you PurpleAngel & cel4145 for your valuable opinions. As I found that my HD380 pro needs good amount of amplification I have ordered a Fiio E11k to be used with mobile devices. Will that be able to provide enough power to drive AKG 612Pro as well? If both Sennheiser HD598 and AKG 612Pro provided with adequate amplification then which one will have the better sound signature that suits well with classical music?

Thank you

Jun 10, 2015 at 11:47 PM Post #5 of 11
Both headphones would work well with classical music. Which is better would be more of a personal taste thing.

I have the E12, and I thought it did a decent job with the K612s. But the E11K is not as powerful.

Jul 5, 2015 at 8:00 PM Post #8 of 11
Thank you all for opinions. I finally got HD 598 and really happy with sound quality, specially the sound stage. I am now considering getting a better DAC and amp to get maximum out of it.

What about also using the E11K with a "better" DAC.

Hifimediy USB DAC, Sabre DAC chip, $57 + shipping ($8?).

Dec 28, 2016 at 2:03 AM Post #11 of 11
I know that the OP decided on the HD 598 for classical music, and I can understand that choice. I used to have the HD 598 and enjoyed them a lot ..... and then I got the K612 out of curiosity. They were a revelation, far more neutral and natural sounding than the Sennheisers. The HD598 now sounded excessively warm and cushioned with soft, flabby bass which I hadn't been aware of until this comparison. To me, the K612 give a great insight into the music, but in a far more relaxed way than the K702. Lots of detail, great imaging, very realistic sound of stringed instruments,voices and percussion with wonderful natural resonance and decay. I can't believe that the K612 are currently on Amazon at £87, whereas the HD 598 are £199. To my ears the prices should be reversed or equal! The K612 aren't as hard to amplify as many people make out. A Cayin C5 drives them well, and I can even enjoy them with my little Topping Nx-1. As always, YMMV!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back