Sennheiser HD 598 sounds warbly?
Jul 30, 2011 at 7:05 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

wanderson9

New Head-Fier
Hey everyone, 
I recently came across this while listening to Bruno Mars's Grenade in FLAC, but I was wondering if anyone else could confirm so I would know if it's just my headphones or the song. It sounds like the bass is intertwined with the vocals and makes the vocals sound like they're trembling. Any help would be appreciated and if you really can't find a copy of the song, I could send you a snippet from where it happens to me. 

Thanks,
wanderson9

Jul 30, 2011 at 8:36 PM Post #2 of 9

Quote:
Hey everyone, 
I recently came across this while listening to Bruno Mars's Grenade in FLAC, but I was wondering if anyone else could confirm so I would know if it's just my headphones or the song. It sounds like the bass is intertwined with the vocals and makes the vocals sound like they're trembling. Any help would be appreciated and if you really can't find a copy of the song, I could send you a snippet from where it happens to me. 

Thanks,
wanderson9

1. Bruno Mars's recording was horrible. I want to slap the producer in the face for the quick recording
2. You're probably running unamped, they sound horrible unamped

Jul 30, 2011 at 8:44 PM Post #4 of 9
Judging a headphone based on one recording is not the smartest thing to do.  Try other similar albums first.  It could well be the recording or encoding.  Although I got rid of HD598, I still have very high regard of the phones; frankly, I may have kept it if it wasn't the beige color that reminded me of discolored Super Nintendo.

Jul 30, 2011 at 8:46 PM Post #5 of 9

Quote:
I concur with BotByte.  Predominantly, I notice that the drum beat (or bass) parts are not clean:- a bit like the song is clipping.

I heard nothing like that with almost any of my songs through my Anedio D1.

Jul 30, 2011 at 9:58 PM Post #6 of 9
Thanks for the responses everyone, glad to know that it's not just me. BTW codeninja, I never would judge cans by only one song but I just picked these up last week and wanted to make sure that nothing at all is wrong with them and when I heard this it made me wonder. I'm amped with a UDAC2 BotByte and I still experience it. Anyways, I'm very well satisfied with every other recording I've heard with these headphones on and hopefully they'll last me a good 3 or 4 years until I can upgrade to something even better!

wanderson9

PS, when someone like Bruno Mars uses his own production company on the album, I don't know how it passed his QC... must be listening with Beats by Dre or something xD

Jul 30, 2011 at 10:17 PM Post #8 of 9

Quote:
Thanks for the responses everyone, glad to know that it's not just me. BTW codeninja, I never would judge cans by only one song but I just picked these up last week and wanted to make sure that nothing at all is wrong with them and when I heard this it made me wonder. I'm amped with a UDAC2 BotByte and I still experience it. Anyways, I'm very well satisfied with every other recording I've heard with these headphones on and hopefully they'll last me a good 3 or 4 years until I can upgrade to something even better!

wanderson9

PS, when someone like Bruno Mars uses his own production company on the album, I don't know how it passed his QC... must be listening with Beats by Dre or something xD

Well, re rip your files and ensure you using the highest bit rate you can. Also adjust you volume from the computer and udac2 differently. If too much power if coming from you computer, too much volume turned up from the udac2 can start to split the audio apart.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back