Sennheiser HD 598 Impressions Thread
Dec 27, 2011 at 2:18 PM Post #827 of 7,532
The cracking issue has been fixed since July 2011. If you're unlucky enough to have one because the stock was from before then, you'll get it replaced under warranty if it starts cracking, without question.

Dec 27, 2011 at 9:07 PM Post #828 of 7,532
Sorry to repost but i did not get my answer in which is better? 
AD900 vs HD598
What are the sound signatures?
Which has a bit more bass with the Fiio E10?
What are the best area's to listen to on each pair of cans?
I mostly listen to rock, frank sintara and gaming.

Dec 29, 2011 at 11:18 PM Post #829 of 7,532
Just auditioned these and not sure how i feel about them. Can see why they are very popular though. It was a busy store so not the best place at all for it.

Bass was about as much as i would ever want in a headphone, less would be better or at least a bit tighter. It seemed separate to the rest of the music, and a bit to polite, not sure if it will have the punch i desire. Guitars were also a bit too laidback. Vocals and acoustic stuff like Eva Cassidy did shine. Radiohead sounded good but a bit flat. Classical would be superb. Soundstage and detail retrieval was good but did not have enough chance to listen real well. If these are bright Senns the others must be very laidback indeed. Are any of these faults, for me at least, likely to improve with a bit of burn in?

Dec 30, 2011 at 3:35 PM Post #830 of 7,532

Quote:
Just auditioned these and not sure how i feel about them. Can see why they are very popular though. It was a busy store so not the best place at all for it.

Bass was about as much as i would ever want in a headphone, less would be better or at least a bit tighter. It seemed separate to the rest of the music, and a bit to polite, not sure if it will have the punch i desire. Guitars were also a bit too laidback. Vocals and acoustic stuff like Eva Cassidy did shine. Radiohead sounded good but a bit flat. Classical would be superb. Soundstage and detail retrieval was good but did not have enough chance to listen real well. If these are bright Senns the others must be very laidback indeed. Are any of these faults, for me at least, likely to improve with a bit of burn in?

Sounds exactly how I feel about these cans. I have easily 100+ hours of burn in.

To me acoustic guitars are great, electric feels too laid back. The bass did back off a bit after burn in too.

Dec 30, 2011 at 5:59 PM Post #831 of 7,532
Today I clumsily tripped over my 598s cord at a BAD angle. The cord near the cans was wedged in a couch cushion, so the 1/8 inch jack was yanked out of my computer, successfully bending the metal tip of the adapter. 

Now that I think about it, the 1/4 --> 1/8 inch adapter makes a lot of sense because it make the more fragile 8th inch is easier to replace, but does anyone know where I can buy another one? I've got it working fine for now by bending it back with pliers. It's not perfect though, it still takes some messing with in the way it's plugged in and such.

Dec 30, 2011 at 6:23 PM Post #832 of 7,532

Quote:
Today I clumsily tripped over my 598s cord at a BAD angle. The cord near the cans was wedged in a couch cushion, so the 1/8 inch jack was yanked out of my computer, successfully bending the metal tip of the adapter. 

Now that I think about it, the 1/4 --> 1/8 inch adapter makes a lot of sense because it make the more fragile 8th inch is easier to replace, but does anyone know where I can buy another one? I've got it working fine for now by bending it back with pliers. It's not perfect though, it still takes some messing with in the way it's plugged in and such.

This:
http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=104&cp_id=10429&cs_id=1042903&p_id=7135&seq=1&format=2

Dec 30, 2011 at 7:07 PM Post #833 of 7,532

Quote:

I've had this happen to 3 of my old headphones, which is why I now prefer headphones that come with the 1/4, or I just keep the 1/4 adapter on at all times.

What I did for my Grados is to cut the old plug off entirely, strip the wires, and solder a new plug on. It's not at all hard (I'd never soldered anything before) and I got good results.

Dec 30, 2011 at 9:09 PM Post #835 of 7,532
http://www.needledoctor.com/Grado-Mini-Adapter-Stereo-1-8-Male-to-1-4-Female-Adapter-Cable

Better yet get this. I have a few of these and I love them. More flexible than a typical solid adapter. Will reduce the damage in an accident like this.

Dec 30, 2011 at 10:22 PM Post #836 of 7,532

Quote:
hey guys i just got a pair of k240 studio, but im having comfort issues with my them. my head is small and egg shaped, and the headphones slide down ontop the tops of my ears after awhile causing a burning sensation, instead of resting on the nice headband. if only the headband was a little bit tighter. i am loving the sound quality they produce though

the senn's have that vertical oval shape, and look like it has a lot more room for the topish part of the ear. im just worried that theyre not going to be balanced, and not have the sound without coloration like the k240studio do.

are the senn hd558 neutral? are they as "dark" as people say, or not? for a baseline, i like the brightness that the k240 studio are, i enjoy being able to hear what tempo the cymbals are being played up front like on the k240 studio? the treble and bass seems very balanced then the mids a tiny bit behind which is fine. i wish the k240's headband was a little bit tighter, this would fit perfect and the sound is just what im looking for

is the senn hd595 really too laid back and doesnt have enough attack or punch (impact and decay etc.) to give rock/metal or rap its punch? i already know i will appreciate the soundstage, as i loved the soundstaging of the k240 studio coming from an iem. placement and seperation were amazing.

im looking for a neutral/flat/balanced/accurate phone that is semi or fully open back, circumaural and my budget is about $150

thanks so much

I think you need to try some Grado's...

Dec 31, 2011 at 12:00 AM Post #838 of 7,532

Quote:

I think you need to try some Grado's...

I like Grados too, but I don't always think of them as neutral/flat/balanced/accurate.  I recommend them for their beautifully tight, natural bass, the fact that the cheaper models are such a bargain, and, most importantly, because they're lots of fun.

Even if they don't turn out to be your primary, you might as well spend a few bucks to make an SR-60 or SR-80 part of your collection.

Dec 31, 2011 at 12:14 AM Post #840 of 7,532
Sorry, I guess I'm just confused.

You're saying you want a neutral headphone but you're waxing poetic about your AKG's, which appear to be rather colored. 

FWIW, the frequency curve you posted for your AKG's is very similar to the curves posted on the Grado 80 and 225. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back