Sennheiser HD 598 Impressions Thread
Dec 24, 2011 at 4:38 PM Post #811 of 7,532

Quote:
so are you guys saying that the E10 is better than the E7/E9 combo?

From the impressions I've read, the E10 has a better dac than the E7/E9 combo while the E9 offers a better amplifier. The HD-598 supposedly don't require a very powerful amp, explaining why the E10 is often recommended over the E7/E9.

Dec 24, 2011 at 5:04 PM Post #812 of 7,532

Quote:
Yes, absolutely. Onboard sound cards are never any good, compared to a dedicated sound card or E10. Onboard sound cards can probably drive them with ease, but you are losing a lot of SQ.

Not always. I bought an E7 for my HD598. I returned it after a few weeks because my onboard sound card from my laptop sounds better.

Dec 24, 2011 at 5:48 PM Post #813 of 7,532

Quote:
Fiio E17 will be better Fiio E10 but not too much, Headfonia said that just a small improvement on the sound such as bass and impact. The soundsignature of them are almost the same. But hey for the price there will be a big difference, Fiio E17 will be $150. If you like Fiio products and want a small desktop DAC/AMP then consider Fiio E10 but if you need a better portable and desktop DAC/AMP then consider Fiio E17.

For me I just need a desktop solution so I will buy Fiio E10 or will expect Fiio E15. Look like Fiio E10 + HD598 is a good starting point to Audiophile world for me
beerchug.gif
. Cheer guys, I will join this thread soon. Oh by the way, Hi to everyone, please guide me gently
tongue_smile.gif

I should have waited since I was looking for a portable option. I like the analog volume control over the push button though.

Dec 25, 2011 at 12:30 AM Post #814 of 7,532

What onboard sound card is that? And how does E7 compare to E10?
Quote:
Not always. I bought an E7 for my HD598. I returned it after a few weeks because my onboard sound card from my laptop sounds better.

Dec 25, 2011 at 5:48 PM Post #816 of 7,532
Hey Guys. 
I am stuck between two headphones either the HD598 or the AD700's, what kind of sound signature do both of these have and are good all rounders (for gaming, and casual listening to music)
Also Amp wise I have look at the E10 as my option but I want something better that is on amazon for about 130 dollars max

Dec 25, 2011 at 6:26 PM Post #817 of 7,532
Quote:
Hey Guys. 
I am stuck between two headphones either the HD598 or the AD700's, what kind of sound signature do both of these have and are good all rounders (for gaming, and casual listening to music)
Also Amp wise I have look at the E10 as my option but I want something better that is on amazon for about 130 dollars max

I keep hearing that the AD700's really lack bass of any kind, so I'm not sure if I'd want that for gaming or music listening.  I'd take the 598s on just hear say, but both headphones have a good following so you won't go wrong either way.  I can vouch for the 598s on Battlefield 3.  

Dec 26, 2011 at 5:16 PM Post #819 of 7,532
Hey Guys,
Sorry for the late reply. I actually put the incorrect headphone. I actually wanted to compare AD900* vs HD598.
I know that the AD700 and the AD900 are similar cans but is AD900 better than the HD598?
Also is there still the cracking issue with the Sennheisers? 

Dec 26, 2011 at 6:07 PM Post #820 of 7,532

Haven't hear it reported in a long time. Mine  have no problems.

The 598 is phenominal for gaming, by the way.

Quote:
Hey Guys,
Sorry for the late reply. I actually put the incorrect headphone. I actually wanted to compare AD900* vs HD598.
I know that the AD700 and the AD900 are similar cans but is AD900 better than the HD598?
Also is there still the cracking issue with the Sennheisers? 

Dec 26, 2011 at 8:06 PM Post #822 of 7,532
They're open...

A train is completely out of the question. Guess it depends on where you're walking otherwise.

Quote:
read alot of this thread but gettingtoo long to continue,

whats the noise leak like?

Would be listening to these on say a train be out the question? or walking to uni?

Dec 26, 2011 at 10:58 PM Post #824 of 7,532
I just got my sennheiser hd598 and very happy with it. I came from an audio technica m50 and was using that for the past 8 months.

598 has less bass compare to m50 but not little. It has more soundstage, mids and high's are crystal clear and comfort is just second to none. The only thing I don't like is the cable (its just too long and the plugs are huge too) maybe because I came from the m50 that has a coiled cable which I find more convenient.

Overall im very happy with my buy and I find this an upgrade from my beloved m50, I just found that the detail, clarity, comfort, the open design and better, it has less base not little (at least for my taste). The only thing I will miss from the m50 is the folding design and the base response.

I highly recommend this if you are looking for a headphone to use at home and no other place because it leaks the sound, it also doesn't block out the noise (but remember that there is a reason why it is designed like this).

A THING TO MENTION:
this is the first hour of me listening to this 598s so it is still not on it's full potential, no amplifier or dac has been used yet.

SOURCE USED:
Macbook pro, Ipod nano 4gen, ipod touch, and turtle beach dss (gaming amp similar to astro a40).

I hope to get the fiio a7/a9 amp or ibasso d12 soon.

happy listening!

Dec 27, 2011 at 1:34 AM Post #825 of 7,532
Just got a pair of these too. I just don't know yet. They're so warm. I'm listening to Mahler's Das Lied Von Der Erde right now, and I'm so wishing to feel that cold, empty space in the sparse orchestration, that icy chill of loneliness and despair Mahler does so well, and I feel like the Sennheisers are trying to turn it into pleasant, happy music. Dammit, I don't want my Mahler to be happy!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back