Sennheiser HD 598 Impressions Thread
Dec 21, 2011 at 10:08 PM Post #796 of 7,532
Just got my pair today. Letting them burn in at the moment but compared to my 558 so far:

- ALOT less clamping force, and thus, much more comfortable
- Better built - the metal grill is nice!
- More or less identical SQ...for now
- Uglier 
tongue.gif

Dec 22, 2011 at 6:53 PM Post #797 of 7,532
My E10 came in the mail today. It was quality checked timestamped on Nov. 16, 2011. It has no "loose" headphone jack issues that many people complained about. Hopefully it holds up.

Best way I can describe the sound coming out of the HD598 is more pronounced and better separation compared to the onboard. I left the bass boost off, since the bass coming out was already pretty good. The real shocker was when I plugged in my old HD555's. With bass boost, it sounded like a completely different headphone. I am very impressed, and will probably buy the E11 for my ipod when I get some extra cash.

Dec 24, 2011 at 1:44 AM Post #802 of 7,532

Quote:
Do you think that you could take these on a plane if you kept them at a reasonably low volume?

No. You need to attenuate the airplane noise so you can hear the music - something an open cup won't do. With an open headphone, you would have to listen loud enough to mask the airplane noise. You'll disturb other passengers and maybe damage your hearing.

Stick with closed cups / IEM's or ANR for airplane travel.

Dec 24, 2011 at 2:04 AM Post #803 of 7,532

This.
Quote:
No. You need to attenuate the airplane noise so you can hear the music - something an open cup won't do. With an open headphone, you would have to listen loud enough to mask the airplane noise. You'll disturb other passengers and maybe damage your hearing.

Stick with closed cups / IEM's or ANR for airplane travel.

Dec 24, 2011 at 3:01 AM Post #804 of 7,532
Fiio E17 will be better Fiio E10 but not too much, Headfonia said that just a small improvement on the sound such as bass and impact. The soundsignature of them are almost the same. But hey for the price there will be a big difference, Fiio E17 will be $150. If you like Fiio products and want a small desktop DAC/AMP then consider Fiio E10 but if you need a better portable and desktop DAC/AMP then consider Fiio E17.

For me I just need a desktop solution so I will buy Fiio E10 or will expect Fiio E15. Look like Fiio E10 + HD598 is a good starting point to Audiophile world for me
beerchug.gif
. Cheer guys, I will join this thread soon. Oh by the way, Hi to everyone, please guide me gently
tongue_smile.gif

Dec 24, 2011 at 9:15 AM Post #806 of 7,532

Yes, absolutely. Onboard sound cards are never any good, compared to a dedicated sound card or E10. Onboard sound cards can probably drive them with ease, but you are losing a lot of SQ.
Quote:
On the topic of making the HD598 sound even better, I'm currently powering it completely from stock (HD598 > Onboard sound card). Would I benefit more from the E10 or a dedicated sound card?

Dec 24, 2011 at 11:23 AM Post #808 of 7,532
I think E10 would be better for the price. For a soundcard I would go with Xonar DX, but I think the E10 is a bit better. However, I haven't tried any of them, (only Xonar ST which has a much better DAC and Amp than the Xonar DX). From what I've read though, E10 is the choice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back