Sennheiser HD 598 Impressions Thread
Feb 14, 2016 at 5:39 PM Post #5,776 of 7,532
  I think you misunderstanding something. The iDSD nano have 2 mode. When you turn on the iDSD first then connect to the computer via USB, it will use battery power. If you connect iDSD to computer via USB first, then turn on the iDSD, it will use only the power from USB port, not the battery.

Oh, okay.  Then the information in the Amazon description must be wrong, along with an answer I saw to a question on the Amazon product page.  Both state that the DAC/AMP always run on battery.

Thanks for clearing that up.

Feb 14, 2016 at 5:46 PM Post #5,777 of 7,532

When I saw your post, I actually generated my own EQ profile from the sonarworks curve you posted, not because I didn't want to use yours but because I like doing that kind of stuff.  I later compared mine to yours, and there was really not much difference, nothing audible anyway.

As far as enabling -7db preamp, I messed with that last night as well.  I decided to leave it turned off.  It was causing me to have to raise the volume on the Fiio quite a bit, and I didn't really hear any distortion with it off, so off it stayed.

Are you using the sonarworks EQ as well with the 598?  I noticed they don't have one for the 700.  How are you liking your 700 so far?  Worth the upgrade?

You should hear clipping in loud passages if you leave it turned off.  I know what you mean though, annoying to have to preamp and then turn the E10K up to like 5!

I stuck with just the bass boost feature with the 598.  I didn't trust myself enough to use the EQ and, with over 1300 hours on them, anything else sounded a bit wonky.  Check the link in my signature at the moment.  I built that last night and I'm quite proud of it, even though I still can't decide if it makes them sound better or worse.  I hate saying anything is an upgrade to the 598 because I love them so much, but the HD700 is the only headphone that I've owned so far that I would consider worthy of that moniker.  It's not a linear upgrade in terms of price, but even my broken ears can hear the difference.  I've heard 650/700/800 and I believe the 700 is the true successor to the 598.
That treble, though.  Pretty zingy. 
L3000.gif

Feb 14, 2016 at 6:56 PM Post #5,778 of 7,532
I've heard 650/700/800 and I believe the 700 is the true successor to the 598. 
L3000.gif

Agreed - in terms of overall sound philosophy to my ears, the 598 and the 700 are closer to each other than the HD600 and HD650. It's probably also a result of the HD598 and the HD700 being much newer designs than the HD600 and the HD650. If I recall correctly, both the HD598 and the HD700 were introduced after the HD800 was in 2009.

Feb 15, 2016 at 3:52 PM Post #5,779 of 7,532

Agreed - in terms of overall sound philosophy to my ears, the 598 and the 700 are closer to each other than the HD600 and HD650. It's probably also a result of the HD598 and the HD700 being much newer designs than the HD600 and the HD650. If I recall correctly, both the HD598 and the HD700 were introduced after the HD800 was in 2009.

Damn so I need some 700's now!!! So I got the 600's cheap, and now I kind of wish I hadn't. They are just a little different; not amazingly different. Just enough that now they both seem flawed. The 600's sound stage feels just too small and the 598's seem a little less detailed and slightly muffled.

I wish I had just stuck with the 598's in ignorant bliss. Maybe if I ditch the 600's I will forget about the extra clarity. Strangely I got the 600s and the 598s for about the same price. I just wanted one set of headphones...... first world problems :-/

Feb 15, 2016 at 6:24 PM Post #5,780 of 7,532
In the past I have owned Beyer DT770's, modded Grado SR60's, Alessandro MS-1, Shure 215 iems and Senn Momentum's (on ear).

I currently own Westone UM1's (planes and trains), and a new set of HD598SE's.

I am running a Grant Fidelity TubeDAC-11, Cayin HA-1A feeding the 598's.

I ran in the new 598's for 50 hours, and have put another 100 or so on them.

Enjoying the mids a lot, the bass is OK, and the treble pleases most of the time.  I think they are great phones, and am pleased with the setup.

I borrowed a friend's 558's for a week and then pulled the trigger on the HD598's.

Feb 16, 2016 at 12:08 AM Post #5,781 of 7,532

Reminds me of this video where the reviewer said that, to his ears, the HD700 was a bigger version of the HD598:

https://youtu.be/FEZ7oU-7AHs

Also note (if you did watch the entire video, it's pretty long) that he says that, of the entire Sennheiser lineup, his favorites were the 598 and 700.

Now I think I need an HD700 so bad.

Feb 16, 2016 at 9:43 PM Post #5,782 of 7,532

That was a really informative video. Thanks for sharing!

Having said that, I got a little question. Now, my body tells me that this question has been asked by everyone and their grandma already, but would you believe me if I said I found no answers at all?

Basically, do the 598 and the 598 SE have absolutely any difference in terms of comfort, weight, sound quality, etc. or is it really just the exact same headphones in black?

(Still considering to get this one, as I simply don't have the budget for the HD 700, but after watching that video I'm putting that on my list of stuff to get when I finally get a good job. :V)

Feb 16, 2016 at 11:42 PM Post #5,784 of 7,532

Having said that, I got a little question. Now, my body tells me that this question has been asked by everyone and their grandma already, but would you believe me if I said I found no answers at all?

Basically, do the 598 and the 598 SE have absolutely any difference in terms of comfort, weight, sound quality, etc. or is it really just the exact same headphones in black?

(Still considering to get this one, as I simply don't have the budget for the HD 700, but after watching that video I'm putting that on my list of stuff to get when I finally get a good job. :V)

Even not all HD598s sound same according to a handful of people here who had the chance to try/own two Ivory 598. So basically, you can not get a definite answer. Too subjective, more so when the margin of physical difference is so thin.

Feb 17, 2016 at 12:53 AM Post #5,785 of 7,532

Like Hammy said, it depends on eho you ask. If you ask me, then I'll tell you they're the exact same headphone (I've already A/B'ed them), just like a white Chevy and a black Chevy are the same car sans paint. However, some people claim it seems that to their ears, both models sound different.

Since there have been several reports (mine included) that they do sound the same, the few cases where the SE sounded different to the standard ivories makes it plausible that we're having a couple of QC issues. But ither than that, they are intended (and in most cases, they do) to sound the same.

Feb 17, 2016 at 12:54 AM Post #5,786 of 7,532

In terms of comfort and weight, should not be any difference (I didn't notice any).  My Ivory 598 and black 598SE sounded quite different.  Others have posted that theirs also sounded different, while others have mentioned they sounded the same.  Based on the posts I've read and been involved in, I'm now of the same opinion of one head-fier's reply to me early on:  that no 2 headphones will sound EXACTLY the same.  Some may be close and be indistinguishable to some or all listeners, while others may sound quite different to some or all listeners.  Hit or miss, I think, what you get.

My advice now to anyone considering buying the 598 or the 598SE is not to concern yourself too much with the chance they may sound different.  Just get whichever you prefer and see for yourself if you're happy with the way they sound.  Also, make sure to buy from an authorized Sennheiser dealer, and check the authentication on Sennheiser's website (instructions on box) when you get them.  Mine were authentic and still sounded different, but you want take these steps to ensure you buy the real thing.

Feb 17, 2016 at 1:39 AM Post #5,787 of 7,532

In terms of comfort and weight, should not be any difference (I didn't notice any).  My Ivory 598 and black 598SE sounded quite different.  Others have posted that theirs also sounded different, while others have mentioned they sounded the same.  Based on the posts I've read and been involved in, I'm now of the same opinion of one head-fier's reply to me early on:  that no 2 headphones will sound EXACTLY the same.  Some may be close and be indistinguishable to some or all listeners, while others may sound quite different to some or all listeners.  Hit or miss, I think, what you get.

My advice now to anyone considering buying the 598 or the 598SE is not to concern yourself too much with the chance they may sound different.  Just get whichever you prefer and see for yourself if you're happy with the way they sound.  Also, make sure to buy from an authorized Sennheiser dealer, and check the authentication on Sennheiser's website (instructions on box) when you get them.  Mine were authentic and still sounded different, but you want to take these steps to ensure you buy the real thing.

Yes! there's a lot of fake Ivory out there. There is a post here that helps you identify and even some youtube videos that show the difference and, of course, Sennheiser has a very good fake detention system.
Better safe than sorry. 

Feb 17, 2016 at 3:18 PM Post #5,788 of 7,532
Alright, thanks for the replies! I really was only concerned if there were any selling points apart from the design, or rather if there was any reason at all to get the Ivory despite me preferring the black version from the aesthetics.

Feb 17, 2016 at 5:01 PM Post #5,789 of 7,532
  Alright, thanks for the replies! I really was only concerned if there were any selling points apart from the design, or rather if there was any reason at all to get the Ivory despite me preferring the black version from the aesthetics.

You're welcome.  The only other advice I have for people wanting to get the SE, is to do some back to back listening with both of the included cables.  Some people here, including myself, think that the longer cable sounded smoother in the highs and more spacious than the shorter cable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back