Sennheiser HD 598 Impressions Thread
Aug 22, 2015 at 10:16 AM Post #4,951 of 7,532
  Hi all, 598's users. I'm looking for neutral all-rounder and 598 seems my favourite, though my budget 250$. New 598 costs 80$ in local store. But i'm afraid about how these cans suitable for rock/heavy metal/symphonic metal? No extremal sub-genres here (like death/black metal).

You'd be better suited with a SR60e if you want it to sound 'fun' and 'energetic', because the HD 598 is very calm in a good way. You want to have fun and feel euphoric when listening to your music? Stay away from the HD 598, and buy a Grado SR60e/80e which have similar treble to the HD 598 but are much more energetic and lively. I don't think that you will want to be bored to death when listening to Rock/Metal... won't you?

Oh gosh, is like that the SR325e is made for you! Perfect for your needs: awesome bass-mids-treble, not grainy at all, up-front energetic with a brutally-heavy bass which has great impact and texture. God-like mids with great realism with vocals and instruments, and unlike the others above, this one is made of great materials. This is your headphone. If you have 300$ go for it.

PD: I had an SR325, I know what I'm saying. 

Aug 22, 2015 at 10:49 AM Post #4,952 of 7,532

You'd be better suited with a SR60e if you want it to sound 'fun' and 'energetic', because the HD 598 is very calm in a good way. You want to have fun and feel euphoric when listening to your music? Stay away from the HD 598, and buy a Grado SR60e/80e which have similar treble to the HD 598 but are much more energetic and lively. I don't think that you will want to be bored to death when listening to Rock/Metal... won't you?

PD: If you have 250$ go for the Philips Fidelio X2 or the HD 600, which are much better cans than anything in that price range. If you want the best from Grado in that price range, go for the SR325e which are incredible with the genres you mentioned.

I want all-rounder, which sounds good in variety of genres. Not only Rock/Metal, but also in variety of genres (piano, acoustic, orchestral). it's impossible being best in everything, but at least decent in everything. Because of that variety of genres, I look for neutral headphones, but still musicial, which good enough at least for those genres. Grado is decent for rock/metal, yeah, but it's only for, IMO. Also Grados seems not very comfortable.

HD 600... This is good headphone, but i've seen multiple opinions, where HD 600 as all-rounder loses HD 598. And in musical. Although, HD 600 is technically better, ofc.

Fidelio X2 seems more bassy, with not as good in mids and treble as HD 600 (V shaped?). Compared to HD 598... I don't seen good reviews which compared directly their with HD 598.

Aug 22, 2015 at 11:05 AM Post #4,953 of 7,532

I want all-rounder, which sounds good in variety of genres. Not only Rock/Metal, but also in variety of genres (piano, acoustic, orchestral). it's impossible being best in everything, but at least decent in everything. Because of that variety of genres, I look for neutral headphones, but still musicial, which good enough at least for those genres. Grado is decent for rock/metal, yeah, but it's only for, IMO. Also Grados seems not very comfortable.

HD 600... This is good headphone, but i've seen multiple opinions, where HD 600 as all-rounder loses HD 598. And in musical. Although, HD 600 is technically better, ofc.

Fidelio X2 seems more bassy, with not as good in mids and treble as HD 600 (V shaped?). Compared to HD 598... I don't seen good reviews which compared directly their with HD 598.

The HD 600 is a great all-rounder. Well, if you don't like the Grado comfort and you have the 'one headphone for one genre' mentality, then we're lost. Screw Grados and the X2, and go for the HD 600. They aren't boring at all, they don't lack 'musical' at all. The HD 598 is infinitely worse than the HD 600 in that regard. The HD 598 is not musical compared to the HD 600 when the first one sounds worse. What you will need is a great amp and DAC for the HD 600. Ignore those who says that the HD 600 is boring or lacks 'musical', you can't get better for that price and it will sound great with Metal and Classical alike if you are that picky. If you want the best (IMO), go for the SR325e, deal with the comfort myth, and ignore the silly one-headphone-one-genre mentality. Audio transducers don't work like that, they don't know your genre, but you do know what sound you like. These two are the best. Cya.

Aug 22, 2015 at 3:11 PM Post #4,954 of 7,532
  Im looking for a BETTER earpads for 598.
The original earpads seems too faded for me, its not intense brown like in the pictures !!!
And the hair looking is not high quality and pleasuring to touch.

Im looking for a brown colors ( also different tonality ) or similar but much more finished ( more good looking ).

Anyone can tell me somethings ?

anyone ?

Aug 22, 2015 at 6:11 PM Post #4,955 of 7,532

Oh gosh, is like that the SR325e is made for you! Perfect for your needs: awesome bass-mids-treble, not grainy at all, up-front energetic with a brutally-heavy bass which has great impact and texture. God-like mids with great realism with vocals and instruments, and unlike the others above, this one is made of great materials. This is your headphone. If you have 300$ go for it.

PD: I had an SR325, I know what I'm saying. 

Being "boring" is not what I described. They were "fun" AND "energetic", but for metal, dubstep, and symphonic it was just clogged and grainy. Almost to the point my ears hurt. But as you've put it with good vocals and a few instruments, their mids were magical and touching. But this is way far from what I was looking for. While I still can't recommend something (didn't find what I want) would advise allrounders not to go for these, they seem to be suited for laid back or classical music, or else these will just scream.

Aug 22, 2015 at 7:10 PM Post #4,957 of 7,532
And for a good all rounder around this price range (up to 600,650) is the beyrdynamic custom 1 pro plus. They have bass adjustment which sounds like a gimmick but it actually works quite well. At minimum setting they are very clean have good mids and nice treble. The bass is tight and at or a little below the 598. They have 5 steps that scale nicely and untill you get to the last one or two where it starts to bleed into the mids and get a little bloated but even then it's not horrible. They can be good for acustics or get insane bass for electronic.

Aug 24, 2015 at 10:23 PM Post #4,964 of 7,532
I can wear my HD598 for hours without feeling the heat, and I am shaggy. 

beerchug.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back