Sennheiser HD 598 Impressions Thread
Feb 17, 2015 at 9:14 AM Post #4,591 of 7,532

HD598 would be driving your typical nice car like a Nissan Altima or whatever in that class. HD800 would be giving that car to some homeless guy and buying a BMW, Audi, Benz

Nope, the 598 is already classy and smooth. It's like the BMW or Audi, etc. But the HD 800 is futuristic but still contained and controlled, like the BMW i8 or a McLaren P1.

Feb 17, 2015 at 6:04 PM Post #4,593 of 7,532
I know, still sounds a bit exaggerated to me that's all :) 

I know, but it's all relative. The only exaggeration is how large the stage is on the HD800, kinda unnaturally so if you ask me. In direct a/b comparison the hd800 is just so damn spacious, the hd598 still sound intimate particularly the warm upfront vocals which the 800 don't quite have. I have similar feelings about the sound staging of the MA-900 in direct comparison to the 598, yes the Senns sound closed "in comparison" but that's more of a testament to how open the others really are.

Feb 18, 2015 at 2:17 AM Post #4,595 of 7,532
  Nope, the 598 is already classy and smooth. It's like the BMW or Audi, etc. But the HD 800 is futuristic but still contained and controlled, like the BMW i8 or a McLaren P1.

The 598 is lower-ranged BMW. But the difference between the 598 and 800 is still huge. 
  You're saying the MA-900 sound more open yes? 

It's just that people praise the 598 for having a very large stage, larger than the 600 and 650.

The MA900 does sound more open. I second that.

The 598 IMO doesn't have larger soundstage than the 600 and 650. It's just that the 598 is really bass-light and smooth, while the 650 has the Sennheiser veil (warm and dark) and the HD600 has better, more prominent bass - all of this creates the illusion that the 598 has bigger soundstage. I haven't owned the HD600 and HD650 so that can be wrong, but I'm very familiar with these cans.

Feb 18, 2015 at 2:55 AM Post #4,596 of 7,532
You're saying the MA-900 sound more open yes? 

It's just that people praise the 598 for having a very large stage, larger than the 600 and 650.

Yup, MA-900 sound more open and not by a little bit either. I do think the 598 have a better soundstage than poorly driven 650s, but a well amped 650 is about the same in that area and obv much better in everything else. 598 is still much more comfortable, cheaper and sounds decent from pretty much anything, and it has a really unique sound to boot

Feb 18, 2015 at 4:23 AM Post #4,597 of 7,532
I have been intrigued by the 595/598 for a long time, and these are my first open headphones. After the $99 BF sale, all the talk about them made me pull the trigger and I got a barely used pair for $130. 

I really enjoy everything about them, of course they are not fit for every type of music. The smartest thing about these and most other Senns is the oval shaped cups. I don't understand why so many companies produce headphones with circular shaped cups! 

It's always a bit of a bummer learning that your headphones aren't up to par with some others out there (probably shouldn't complain for this price) but I guess I should be happy that there is always something better to drool over.

Feb 18, 2015 at 6:47 PM Post #4,598 of 7,532
Yup, MA-900 sound more open and not by a little bit either. I do think the 598 have a better soundstage than poorly driven 650s, but a well amped 650 is about the same in that area and obv much better in everything else. 598 is still much more comfortable, cheaper and sounds decent from pretty much anything, and it has a really unique sound to boot

+1 ... properly amping the 650 makes all the difference.

Feb 18, 2015 at 6:58 PM Post #4,599 of 7,532

Well, as someone that has both the HD-598 and the HD-650, you are dead wrong about that assertion. The 650 is a whole new world, after the 598, even though I love both sets of cans. Many would consider the 650 superior 'phones over the HD-700.

Check out this thread. Many posters certainly did not share your view and I have also seen YouTube viewers preferring the 598 over the HD 6xx series. What I am saying is that what I said wasn't completely out of the blue even though you maybe right. 

http://www.head-fi.org/t/590988/how-much-better-is-the-hd650-vs-hd598

Feb 18, 2015 at 7:22 PM Post #4,600 of 7,532
Check out this thread. Many posters certainly did not share your view and I have also seen YouTube viewers preferring the 598 over the HD 6xx series. What I am saying is that what I said wasn't completely out of the blue even though you maybe right. 

http://www.head-fi.org/t/590988/how-much-better-is-the-hd650-vs-hd598

There are always people who are gonna prefer an inferior headphone due to sound signature. I like my Porta Pros more than my K701 but it'd be silly if I went into the Porta Pro thread and said the K701 wasn't an upgrade.

Feb 18, 2015 at 7:39 PM Post #4,601 of 7,532
In a hobby as subjective as this, if you prefer a less expensive model like the 598 over the 650 then it's not inferior to you. You may be in disagreement with others, but it does not matter. Too many people keep thinking that more expensive, or a majority opinion is the controlling factor

Feb 18, 2015 at 9:51 PM Post #4,602 of 7,532
In a hobby as subjective as this, if you prefer a less expensive model like the 598 over the 650 then it's not inferior to you. You may be in disagreement with others, but it does not matter. Too many people keep thinking that more expensive, or a majority opinion is the controlling factor

Hmmm... or, it could be that I've spent a lot of time listening to both sets (which I have) and my opinion comes from my own experience - not because I read something on Head-Fi.

I should point out something else that is not always obvious (especially to folks who have only briefly tried the HD-650s); the 598 is a little bright and acclimating to the sound signature of the 650 takes time; especially when going back and forth between it and other headphones.

Feb 19, 2015 at 12:38 AM Post #4,603 of 7,532
I'm not disagreeing with you Krutsch. In fact I belive you and I are in agreement. If you listen to two different headphones and feel one is better, then that is what matters. You are not making a choice and calling one headphone superior because of a "majority opinion or cost. I get a bit tired of those who use the premise that because headphone A costs more than headphone B that it is superior, or if most people say that headphone A is better than B then it is, as you have pointed out these are not the criteria behind your opinion

Many of the contributors to these forums have a hard time separating facts from opinions. Both are valid especially when you can tell the difference

Feb 19, 2015 at 2:21 AM Post #4,604 of 7,532
  I have been intrigued by the 595/598 for a long time, and these are my first open headphones. After the $99 BF sale, all the talk about them made me pull the trigger and I got a barely used pair for $130. 

I really enjoy everything about them, of course they are not fit for every type of music. The smartest thing about these and most other Senns is the oval shaped cups. I don't understand why so many companies produce headphones with circular shaped cups! 

It's always a bit of a bummer learning that your headphones aren't up to par with some others out there (probably shouldn't complain for this price) but I guess I should be happy that there is always something better to drool over.

+1. The HD5x8s are hands down the most comfortable headphones I've ever had - provided the room temperature is right. The HD6x0 are heavier, but still very comfortable.

Feb 19, 2015 at 2:32 AM Post #4,605 of 7,532

dude I was selling new pair for 130 shipped.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back