Sennheiser HD 598 Impressions Thread
Sep 24, 2014 at 10:45 AM Post #4,008 of 7,532

If you liked the HD555 you will love the HD598. Be warned though; The HD598 take a long time to burn in. When I was researching the HD598  (along with the HD558) before my purchase I read that other members have stated long burn in times. I was skeptical of the 150-200 hour claim, expecting about only 40, and I was wrong. Then I thought I was done at the 140 hour(isn) mark and I was wrong, again, so expect upwards of 200 hours. Lets just hope you came out on top of the driver lottery as other have had a mixed bag of results.

Head-fiers will always be 'Chasing the Dragon' in regards to finding the(ir) perfect headphones. I will say this though, there is a reason the HD598 are ranked #5 for over-ears.

beerchug.gif

I've read somewhere here on head-fi where someone said that people who has experienced the "rattle" or "distortion" on very low end lines in music or movies on high volumes with the HD598 (it's no a clicking or cracking sound or anything like that, just as if the very low frequencies, at loud volume, couldn't be reproduced very well), didn't experienced it anymore after a long burn in period.

Mine are new and have about 20 hrs of use at the most. Do you think this can also explain it with the bur-in theory? Do you think after that long use this problem can change for the better?  

Sep 24, 2014 at 11:12 AM Post #4,010 of 7,532
At Head-Fi, we don't need much of an excuse to upgrade :)

If the rattle is simply a limitation of the build quality or Fidelity quality, then there's nothing you can do about it. Get a higher-end headphone that won't do that. I think that is what I was trying to say.

Sep 24, 2014 at 11:49 AM Post #4,011 of 7,532
Around here, HD598 owners are expected to think about upgrading to the HD600 or HD650 but is anyone else thinking about the HE-400i?  With the HD650 selling below $400 the Hifiman is more expensive but, on the other hand, it shouldn't require an amp upgrade.

Sep 24, 2014 at 11:59 AM Post #4,012 of 7,532
You can buy the 400i and see if you like it. If you don't, you could send it back to Amazon for your money back.
If you are looking for a neutral something headphone, I think the 600 is a terrific choice. I do not know if the 400i is neutral or not, I haven't had a chance to audition it

Sep 24, 2014 at 9:38 PM Post #4,014 of 7,532
  Hi...
I just bought my HD598 almost a like three weeks ago, and I'm very happy with them... I just love them. The clarity, the soundstage, the warmth, everything... and I also been noticing that "rattle" in very low frequencies, kind of a distortion on such a long bass lines in soundtracks or, as haysonics put it, very low end "earthquake" sounds in movies. All this of course on very loud volume. And I'm not talking about the bass punch in common songs, but really deep bass lines that you can find in movie soundtracks and movies themselves.

It doesn't feel as if they were defective or anything like that, but as if they just cannot handle that level of frequencies very well...

As I only listen to soundtracks (orchestral scores on orignal CD and some 24/96 flac files), many of them has that kind of very deep bass, so my question is, should I be worried? I don't wanna to have to EQ my receiver every time I listen music (Denon avr1713) because that's also where I watch movies, but I don't want my headphones to be damage for life. What do yo recommend? How easy is for them to be damage for life? I thought they just be always struggling with that kind of frequencies but didn't know they can be damage that way.

thanks

While it is possible to blow a driver, in my case i was concerned that a screw / wire / driver had come loose and i was going to have to open up the headphone and glue it back in place. I have only had the rattle occur once and it was when i had overdone the bass so not really a fault of the headphone. For me it became a yardstick to judge how heavy i could go with bass ( if the headphone rattles i will hear distortion on hifi speakers).

Have you boosted (via EQ) any of the bass frequencies on your receiver ?

Sep 24, 2014 at 9:56 PM Post #4,015 of 7,532
While it is possible to blow a driver, in my case i was concerned that a screw / wire / driver had come loose and i was going to have to open up the headphone and glue it back in place. I have only had the rattle occur once and it was when i had overdone the bass so not really a fault of the headphone. For me it became a yardstick to judge how heavy you should go with bass ( if the headphone rattles i hear distortion on my hifi speakers). Have you boosted (via EQ) any of the bass frequencies on your receiver ?

no I havent, when I plug the headphones the receiver automatically turn the PURE DIRECT mode in order to deactivate all digital interfernce and serve as a mere amp only. By the way, I play one of those same tracks in another player with a good quality earbuds (the closest I have to another "open" hp) and it struggled in the same bass line almost in the same kind of way. And my closed cans ATH A900X did not struggle at all

Sep 24, 2014 at 10:11 PM Post #4,016 of 7,532
  I've read somewhere here on head-fi where someone said that people who has experienced the "rattle" or "distortion" on very low end lines in music or movies on high volumes with the HD598 (it's no a clicking or cracking sound or anything like that, just as if the very low frequencies, at loud volume, couldn't be reproduced very well), didn't experienced it anymore after a long burn in period.

Mine are new and have about 20 hrs of use at the most. Do you think this can also explain it with the bur-in theory? Do you think after that long use this problem can change for the better?  

Short answer, absolutely! I agree with your assessment on the 'rattle' not being a rattle or 'distortion'. I too experienced this odd handling of the bass on the deep end with games and movies, as well as music that has a lot of sub-bass (Freezepop, KMFDM, Juno Reactor). I would call it kind of a 'thud' or 'cupping' sound' when the bass gets deep and the volume is higher than normal.

When I first started listening to the HD598 I actually used (and recommended here a few pages back) a parametric EQ and set up a 'low shelf' to compensate. However, this anomaly has since disappeared completely. I mean 100% GONE! As well, I found the bass in the beginning to be somewhat dry and boomy/thumpy with little resonance. Now all I hear is 'musical glue'. I just finished doing a test just for you good folk, and I will say that the HD598 can handle bass, and DEEP bass with ease.

My normal listening volume on my Yamaha receiver is about -25dB, which is considered to be (by me) a notch below really loud. Bass is set to -6 and treble is set to 0. For my music test I set the volume to a defining -10dB and used the 'Music Enhancer' setting (smart loudness) set to low. Treble and bass are at 0 (equivalent to the 12 o'clock position on a knob). For my movie test, I set 'Music Enhancer' to high and turned up the bass to +2.

I first listened to the album "Bass Power", vol. 2 of Audio's Audiophile 24 volume CD set. I used this CD because it contains a good mix of 'real' bass. One word; Wow! Whether the bass is coming from a drum, bass guitar (acoustic and electric), synthesizer, strings, horns, or the human voice, the HD598 simply outputted bass with authority! No distortion, no rattle, no odd cupping sound, just clean and powerful bass with great extension, texture, and surprisingly good reverberation; Not just for a closed back headphone either. Never did the bass sound 'boomy', 'muddy', 'thumpy', or distorted. My next test I focused on the 'artificial' bass. I listed to a good random mix of my "Freezepop" collection. Simply put, "Bring the boom baby!". The bass and sub-bass was so powerful when I placed my hands about 10" from the grills, I could literally feel the sound pressure the HD598s emitted. Again, very clean, and driven with authority. Switching things up a bit I listened to KMFDM on random. Being an industrial band, quality plays as much of a role as quantity because the genre demands 'texture'. Absolutely perfect. I think my eardrums were "torn a new one". 

Moving on to movie watching, only 15 minutes of one movie was needed for this test; Pacific Rim. Holy Moly Wowy Zowy! Christ Almighty! For an open backed set of headphones, the HD598 really know how to give you that big theatre experience when it comes to the dynamics of the bass. Whether is was the growl of the Kaiju, the clapping of the thunder, the heavy foot-steps of the Jager, even the kick-drum of the background track, the bass was powerful, big, and LOUD. Again, no rattle, clicking, or distortion.

All in all, I think I did a good mix of bass tests, and simply could replicate nor hear what not only I heard in the early days of listening, but what other Hi-fiers have reported as well. I do however want to mention that even after my glowing review on bass, the HD598 are not bass monsters, they have very neutral, linear bass. They are about equivalent to the Momentums in quantity, losing out in the sub-bass department only slightly due to their open design. The HD598s can go DEEP, just not DEEP DEEP; they roll off at about 26Hz.

beerchug.gif

P.S. Do NOT EQ the bass, at all. You will get nothing but poop. In fact, I highly recommend using a Hi-Fi receiver. 

Sep 24, 2014 at 10:36 PM Post #4,017 of 7,532
no I havent, when I plug the headphones the receiver automatically turn the PURE DIRECT mode in order to deactivate all digital interfernce and serve as a mere amp only. By the way, I play one of those same tracks in another player with a good quality earbuds (the closest I have to another "open" hp) and it struggled in the same bass line almost in the same kind of way. And my closed cans ATH A900X did not struggle at all

OK, that adds support to my thinking. Your good quality earbuds struggle with the same track that causes your HD598 to rattle. Both are struggling to reproduce the type of bass rumble on that track. You say your ATHA900Xs is not struggling on that track which is interesting. How well do you feel it is reproducing the bass on that track ?  And what is the track by the way ?

Sep 25, 2014 at 12:15 AM Post #4,018 of 7,532
Short answer, absolutely! I agree with your assessment on the 'rattle' not being a rattle or 'distortion'. I too experienced this odd handling of the bass on the deep end with games and movies, as well as music that has a lot of sub-bass (Freezepop, KMFDM, Juno Reactor). I would call it kind of a 'thud' or 'cupping' sound' when the bass gets deep and the volume is higher than normal.

When I first started listening to the HD598 I actually used (and recommended here a few pages back) a parametric EQ and set up a 'low shelf' to compensate. However, this anomaly has since disappeared completely. I mean 100% GONE! As well, I found the bass in the beginning to be somewhat dry and boomy/thumpy with little resonance. Now all I hear is 'musical glue'. I just finished doing a test just for you good folk, and I will say that the HD598 can handle bass, and DEEP bass with ease.

My normal listening volume on my Yamaha receiver is about -25dB, which is considered to be (by me) a notch below really loud. Bass is set to -6 and treble is set to 0. For my music test I set the volume to a defining -10dB and used the 'Music Enhancer' setting (smart loudness) set to low. Treble and bass are at 0 (equivalent to the 12 o'clock position on a knob). For my movie test, I set 'Music Enhancer' to high and turned up the bass to +2.

I first listened to the album "Bass Power", vol. 2 of Audio's Audiophile 24 volume CD set. I used this CD because it contains a good mix of 'real' bass. One word; Wow! Whether the bass is coming from a drum, bass guitar (acoustic and electric), synthesizer, strings, horns, or the human voice, the HD598 simply outputted bass with authority! No distortion, no rattle, no odd cupping sound, just clean and powerful bass with great extension, texture, and surprisingly good reverberation; Not just for a closed back headphone either. Never did the bass sound 'boomy', 'muddy', 'thumpy', or distorted. My next test I focused on the 'artificial' bass. I listed to a good random mix of my "Freezepop" collection. Simply put, "Bring the boom baby!". The bass and sub-bass was so powerful when I placed my hands about 10" from the grills, I could literally feel the sound pressure the HD598s emitted. Again, very clean, and driven with authority. Switching things up a bit I listened to KMFDM on random. Being an industrial band, quality plays as much of a role as quantity because the genre demands 'texture'. Absolutely perfect. I think my eardrums were "torn a new one". 

Moving on to movie watching, only 15 minutes of one movie was needed for this test; Pacific Rim. Holy Moly Wowy Zowy! Christ Almighty! For an open backed set of headphones, the HD598 really know how to give you that big theatre experience when it comes to the dynamics of the bass. Whether is was the growl of the Kaiju, the clapping of the thunder, the heavy foot-steps of the Jager, even the kick-drum of the background track, the bass was powerful, big, and LOUD. Again, no rattle, clicking, or distortion.

All in all, I think I did a good mix of bass tests, and simply could replicate nor hear what not only I heard in the early days of listening, but what other Hi-fiers have reported as well. I do however want to mention that even after my glowing review on bass, the HD598 are not bass monsters, they have very neutral, linear bass. They are about equivalent to the Momentums in quantity, losing out in the sub-bass department only slightly due to their open design. The HD598s can go DEEP, just not DEEP DEEP; they roll off at about 26Hz.

:beerchug:  

P.S. Do NOT EQ the bass, at all. You will get nothing but poop. In fact, I highly recommend using a Hi-Fi receiver. 

thank you so much for that great update on your HD598. Mine is exactly as you describe was yours at the begining, so here's hoping it will be fixed a after a while. In the meantime I'm still enjoying the hell out of them, because as said before it is only on certain very low frequencies on certain tracks.

Thank you again and I'll update when the time comes

Sep 25, 2014 at 12:22 AM Post #4,019 of 7,532
OK, that adds support to my thinking. Your good quality earbuds struggle with the same track that causes your HD598 to rattle. Both are struggling to reproduce the type of bass rumble on that track. You say your ATHA900Xs is not struggling on that track which is interesting as that headphone is actually known to be a little bass shy. I wonder whether it just produces the bass it is capable of ? Maybe it is not even trying to reproduce the bass freqency that is causing the issue ? How well do you feel it is reproducing that bass on that track ?  And what is the track by the way ?

well... I notice the bass as it is supose to be, it is not a BUMP! kind of bass but a "feel it in your guts" kind of bass if you know what I mean. Maybe the A900X are not bass cans particulary but being a closed ones I think handle it better than many open ones.

the track is "Journey to the Line" by Hans Zimmer, from the movie The Thin Red Line. It is about minute 3:30 - 4:00, the low end frequencies in the track climax

Sep 25, 2014 at 1:35 AM Post #4,020 of 7,532
Oh, you have the ATH-A900X (closed).  I was thinking of the ATH-AD900 (open). Your ATs have plenty of bass. I am a goose.

I found this youtube vid of the song that happens to have a little frequency bar graph overlaid. The volume starts to pick up at 4:20

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fnooGOhLIdM

The peaks are at the bottom around 30 Hz and also at 500 Hz according to the readout on my Xonar Essence STX soundcard but not excessive spikes by todays standards and did not cause a rattle. I also tested on Focal Spirit Professional and found a slightly increased bass sound compared to the HD598 which is to be expected. Mind you, i am listening to youtube which even in HD mode is not going to have the impact of the non-lossy track on your cd.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back