Sennheiser HD 598 Impressions Thread
Jun 7, 2014 at 7:32 PM Post #3,706 of 7,532

See I must be weird because I could never get mine comfy :frowning2:. They'd be fine for about 5 mins, then it felt like they weren't sitting over my ears well and I drove myself crazy trying to re position them...

Perhaps a little weird, but in regards to their fit on your head I know where you are coming from. Wearing a hat and glasses, I found that my MOE would start to feel the same as you described. My solution was to get a new work cap without a button on the top, and learned to move the arms of my glasses up slightly from over my ears. Do you wear glasses?

Jun 7, 2014 at 9:51 PM Post #3,707 of 7,532

See I must be weird because I could never get mine comfy :frowning2:. They'd be fine for about 5 mins, then it felt like they weren't sitting over my ears well and I drove myself crazy trying to re position them...

I actually feel that way with my Beyerdynamic DT 990 at times. It would feel comfortable for a few good hours, but after a while, my ears would start to hurt and I would end up taking them off despite the music being so good.. it is painful at times.

Jun 8, 2014 at 3:02 AM Post #3,709 of 7,532

Have you been wearing your pair at too tight of a setting? it might be a common thing to happen.

Jun 9, 2014 at 9:57 AM Post #3,710 of 7,532

Perhaps a little weird, but in regards to their fit on your head I know where you are coming from. Wearing a hat and glasses, I found that my MOE would start to feel the same as you described. My solution was to get a new work cap without a button on the top, and learned to move the arms of my glasses up slightly from over my ears. Do you wear glasses?

Yes I do :p

Jun 9, 2014 at 7:10 PM Post #3,711 of 7,532

Yes I do :p

I am not sure how well you can see without them, but try and listen to the HD598 without and see if that helps. I also find that with wearing my glasses having the headband flush with the top of the head really helps too (with my 598s, not MOE).

Jun 10, 2014 at 5:55 PM Post #3,713 of 7,532
I just found a video on youtube. I don't know if it was posted before, but it seems they are faking the HD 598's aswell. So be carefully when you buy it.

Jun 10, 2014 at 9:52 PM Post #3,714 of 7,532
I just found a video on youtube. I don't know if it was posted before, but it seems they are faking the HD 598's aswell. So be carefully when you buy it.

Are you kidding me?! Fake HD598s?! And from Amazon no less! I didn't think that was possible but, thanks for the heads up.

This makes a bit nervous, as I ordered a like-new entry model(HD518) directly from them yesterday. Guess I'll find out Thursday.

Jun 11, 2014 at 8:36 AM Post #3,715 of 7,532
Hi guys, I'd like to have your opinion on DACs, based on your own experience with those and my musical tastes, as I'm thinking of getting one for my HD 598. Are there any DAC that forms a really good pair with the 598 (portable or not, doesn't matter) ? What about for example, the DragonFly v1.2, or the NuForce uDAC-3 ? Or Fiio products ? I mainly listen to soundtracks (orchestral ones) on my computer. Don't care about the price range, I'm just interested in your experience. Thanks for sharing your thoughts !

Jun 11, 2014 at 11:35 AM Post #3,717 of 7,532
I disagree, I have the 598 paired with a Dragonfly and it does a very acceptable job for the price. I'd make sure to grab a tail USB thingy if you do go that route, as the direct plug-in is prone to snapping or bending.

Schitt has a nice little stack with the Modi/Magni that you can consider if you have the real estate to fit everything on the desk.

Jun 11, 2014 at 12:18 PM Post #3,718 of 7,532
To each their own, but I'm not the only person who feels the df is a bad match for hd598. A lot of people prefer to mix opposite sounding headphones and dacs/amps. The dragonfly is rather dry sounding; and some feel the hd598 is dry enough on it's own...
As for the usb tail, not a bad idea but the df is pretty sturdy on it's own. I've used it with my tablet pc and iphone without any worries of damage. You'd probably damage the usb port before the df!

Jun 11, 2014 at 1:34 PM Post #3,719 of 7,532
  Hi guys, I'd like to have your opinion on DACs, based on your own experience with those and my musical tastes, as I'm thinking of getting one for my HD 598. Are there any DAC that forms a really good pair with the 598 (portable or not, doesn't matter) ? What about for exemple, the DragonFly v1.2, or the NuForce uDAC-3 ? Or Fiio products ? I mainly listen to soundtracks (orchestral ones) on my computer. Don't care about the price range, I'm just interested in your experience. Thanks for sharing your thoughts !

What's your source? I had tremendous fun listening to the HD598 with a Schiit Asgard directly out of my MacBook Pro.
For me, the Schiit gear (Asgard, Magni) pairs very good with the HD598, I keep mine always attached. The Audioengine D3 is also a very good partner for the HD598 if you want to have a DAC/Amp and don't spend the world....

Jun 11, 2014 at 4:31 PM Post #3,720 of 7,532
I listen to music straight from my dell inspiron for the moment; always FLAC files, some of them are 24bits 88,2 kHz.
Thanks for those answers, very curious about how those different DACs behave with the hd 598. Please bring more opinions for those who might help, that will be very appreciated !

Users who are viewing this thread

Back