Sennheiser HD 598 Impressions Thread
Apr 28, 2014 at 4:15 PM Post #3,602 of 7,532
  What would be the next logical upgrade from the HD598. I still want that big soundstage, and bright signature.

bright signature?they are not bright. they have a dark sound just like the other 5xx models with a little more brightness(airy highs) added . that makes it sound a lil brighter compared to other sennheiser models.
if you want that big soundstage with more refined sound , you would really have to spend a lot .
HD 650 and 600 are better sounding(not by miles). but they dont have the soundstage of the 598.
in Sennheiers , you would have to go for the HD 800.
now that's an upgrade with a better soundstage and sound quality.
but then you would have to spend 2k$ for the cans and a decent amp.
HD 598's are so good for those who prefer that airy euphoric sound under 500$. infact nothing sounds like the HD 598 and even Sennheiser knows this.
there is the akg k701/702, they have a bigger soundstage to the extent that they sound artifical and lifeless. I prefer the HD 598 over them anyday.

Apr 28, 2014 at 4:50 PM Post #3,603 of 7,532
I'm kind of torn myself.  I'm looking to get an upgrade past the HD598 for classical music, but I don't even know where to begin.  The HD598 was a great value for the 150 I paid, and given some of what I read, I don't know if I'd consider the HD6xx enough of an upgrade to justify the purchase.  I imagine i'd like the HD700, but that one seems to have mixed reviews, altho I imagine this is due to the cost vs performance, not necessarily the actual sound quality alone.

Mainly, I just wish there was a good place to audition headphones here in Austin.  If there is, I'm unaware of it.

Apr 29, 2014 at 5:44 AM Post #3,604 of 7,532
I myself do not know of a proper upgrade that won't set me back over 1k. So I guess I will be sticking with these for a long while.

Apr 29, 2014 at 12:48 PM Post #3,605 of 7,532
I myself do not know of a proper upgrade that won't set me back over 1k. So I guess I will be sticking with these for a long while.
no need to upgrade to something else that is sennheiser. I say, try out other brands. Audeze, hifiman, akg, beyerdynamic, who knows. You might or might not find a brand you enjoy more. That's why there is so many brands, so we have choices. Take advantage of that. If you decide you enjoy sennheiser the most after trying a bunch of brands, stick with it, but there is plenty of fish in the ocean. I think people that buy from any brand sometimes forget this.

Apr 29, 2014 at 12:52 PM Post #3,606 of 7,532
bright signature?they are not bright. they have a dark sound just like the other 5xx models with a little more brightness(airy highs) added . that makes it sound a lil brighter compared to other sennheiser models.
if you want that big soundstage with more refined sound , you would really have to spend a lot .
HD 650 and 600 are better sounding(not by miles). but they dont have the soundstage of the 598.
HD 598's are so good for those who prefer that airy euphoric sound under 500$. infact nothing sounds like the HD 598 and even Sennheiser knows this.
there is the akg k701/702, they have a bigger soundstage to the extent that they sound artifical and lifeless. I prefer the HD 598 over them anyday.
hmm... I've heard the exact opposite, that k702 has a smaller soundstage compared to 598, but my point, have you tried both for comparison? If you haven't, then don't trust people online. I myself prefer akg over sennheiser, but no two people have exactly the same tastes, so don't take my word as the solid truth here.

Apr 29, 2014 at 3:17 PM Post #3,607 of 7,532
  What would be the next logical upgrade from the HD598. I still want that big soundstage, and bright signature.

Just sold my hd598's, looking for a replacement. I demoed the hd650's and instantly loved them. Reminded me alot  of the hd598's. The hd600's are probably even closer to the hd598 due to the more neutral bass.

Apr 29, 2014 at 4:05 PM Post #3,608 of 7,532

hmm... I've heard the exact opposite, that k702 has a smaller soundstage compared to 598, but my point, have you tried both for comparison? If you haven't, then don't trust people online. I myself prefer akg over sennheiser, but no two people have exactly the same tastes, so don't take my word as the solid truth here.

I have an AKG Q701 and an HD598,  With the best setups I own, i.e., dragonfly for the HD598 and headphone out of a NAD 3130 for the Q701, the Q701 has a wider soundstage (in my opinion). 

Apr 29, 2014 at 4:30 PM Post #3,609 of 7,532
no need to upgrade to something else that is sennheiser. I say, try out other brands. Audeze, hifiman, akg, beyerdynamic, who knows. You might or might not find a brand you enjoy more. That's why there is so many brands, so we have choices. Take advantage of that. If you decide you enjoy sennheiser the most after trying a bunch of brands, stick with it, but there is plenty of fish in the ocean. I think people that buy from any brand sometimes forget this.

I've tried the K701 DT880, T1, T70, HD650, HD700, HD800, but no Hifiman or Audeze. Those I've tried are nice but I feel it's way too expensive for my current wallet's state, and the incremental improvement is not worth it for me at the moment.
Though if i were to upgrade anything it would be my MS1i into an MS2i 
tongue.gif

Apr 30, 2014 at 1:02 PM Post #3,612 of 7,532
Apr 30, 2014 at 2:50 PM Post #3,613 of 7,532
  Changed my mind, gonna pony up for the HD700's.

good decision. as there were chances that you might have been a lil disappointed with the upgrade to the 650's as they are no real upgrade to the 598's. they are just a lil better than the 598's. + i assume you are a soundstage head. so that would been a downgrade in that area.
let us know when you buy the HD 700 and if possible, also give us your  impressions :)

Apr 30, 2014 at 10:22 PM Post #3,614 of 7,532
The HD700 is actually a better and more direct way up than the HD650. 
This is cause the HD700 is like a HD598 everything improved. (provided you have a good enough amp too)
The HD650 on the other hand is a different direction, improvement in the refinement but thicker bass and a smaller soundstage although it is more articulate.

May 1, 2014 at 12:58 AM Post #3,615 of 7,532

I have tried the akg k702. they just werent for me. the soundstage is extremely huge and the sound is very airy and a lil harsh . i am a huge fan of airy sound. but i also need some warmth in my music.  and it's not there.  i think they are better for classical music and that's it. to me - they are boring. atleast the 598 has forward and warm mids which make them fun to listen. i still dont get it how come some people choose the akg k701 over the 598. maybe those people just listen to classical music.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back