Sennheiser HD 598 Impressions Thread
Mar 26, 2014 at 3:05 PM Post #3,542 of 7,532
Or you can keep them, and buy a pair of Creative Aurvana's like i did. It's cheaper than an amp, and you will get more bass on the CAL! than an amp will provide to the HD 598. 
wink_face.gif

Mar 26, 2014 at 3:43 PM Post #3,544 of 7,532
I thought that's what i did. You don't have to sell them if you don't want to. Keep them!
But then, you can still buy another pair to complement the HD 598.
It's kind of difficult to have one pair that excels at everything. 

I bought the Aurvana for the same reason. I wanted more bass without losing the voice & highs quality. Aurvana does all of these well. The soundstage it's not nearly as wide as on the Sennheiser's, but it has outstanding imaging, bass texture and timbre. 

If you choose to buy an amp for the HD 598, you might still not be happy, as the overall signature of the music won't change.

Mar 26, 2014 at 5:28 PM Post #3,545 of 7,532
  Hi,

I bought my HD598's a year ago and they were my first good headphones. At first I thought the sound was jaw dropping and it amazed me to no extent..
However  recently they've been sounding dull and making my music sound boring and I could also do with a little more bass for some of the genres I listen to such as jazz

Whats a good budget amp(below 200US) for these cans.

Thanks! 

I find that the Dragonfly (I have v1.0) works very well with the HD598.  However, my preferences may be different from yours. The music I like most (West African music, some jazz, some Italian pop, and all kind of classical music) sound better (to me) if the lows are not emphasized, and the HD598 has too much bass when used with my NAD 3130, possibly because of the high impedance of its headphone out.  Incidentally, as I type this, I am at the office and using my Creative Aurvana Live! through the Dragonfly; I do not use the HD598 at work.

Mar 27, 2014 at 9:36 AM Post #3,548 of 7,532
  Do the phillips keep the soundstage of the HD598? And I really do like these headphones I just want something to give it a bit more of a punch if thats at all possible.

I got the feeling that Philips is releasing X2... Be patient... haha 

Mar 29, 2014 at 2:50 PM Post #3,549 of 7,532
People are suggesting different headphones because an amp isn't going to change the way the HD 598 sounds.

Unless that amp is the CEntrance HiFi-M8.

With it you can alter the HD 598's signature via selectable impedance, gain, and analog domain bass/treble tone shaping. It'll do the same with most every other headphone too, the only feature it lacks is an analog input.

Mar 29, 2014 at 3:00 PM Post #3,550 of 7,532
The business end of the M8, it will tailor the sound of the HD 598, however the difference leans more towards subtle than sea change. The 598 is an excellent headphone and doesn't need any huge fixes, if you think it does you are being overly critical. Sennheiser veil? Maybe that's better described as their house sound, not perfect but not hugely flawed either. A cable upgrade also helps, though admittedly something like a Double Helix will cost as much as the headphone itself.

Mar 30, 2014 at 12:09 AM Post #3,551 of 7,532
  The business end of the M8, it will tailor the sound of the HD 598, however the difference leans more towards subtle than sea change. The 598 is an excellent headphone and doesn't need any huge fixes, if you think it does you are being overly critical. Sennheiser veil? Maybe that's better described as their house sound, not perfect but not hugely flawed either. A cable upgrade also helps, though admittedly something like a Double Helix will cost as much as the headphone itself.

Very interesting. I've been contemplating selling my HD598 for a while now. For no other reason than it does not get the head time it deserves. Can't use it as a mobile solution either. 

I have a M8 4XL coming in a month or so. Maybe I should listen and decide then. 

Nice portable rig, btw.

Mar 30, 2014 at 12:21 AM Post #3,552 of 7,532
Very interesting. I've been contemplating selling my HD598 for a while now. For no other reason than it does not get the head time it deserves. Can't use it as a mobile solution either. 

I have a M8 4XL coming in a month or so. Maybe I should listen and decide then. 

Nice portable rig, btw.

I think it would be worth the wait unless you have a good offer locally for the 598 thats difficult to turn down.
Even though the 598 is described as easy to drive or even smart phone friendly, that's perhaps an overstatement considering there is a piece of it's impedance curve in the 300 Ohm range. A stout amp like the M8 will drive the 598 better and you may find it reinvigorates them.
Thanks on the portable rig compliment, although I agree the 598 isn't really portable! :)

Mar 30, 2014 at 12:22 AM Post #3,553 of 7,532
Not sure where else to post this, but I've been using my new "portable" hd598 cable for the last few days and really enjoying it! Much better than that long heavy stock cable for out and about use!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back