Sennheiser HD 598 Impressions Thread
Feb 2, 2014 at 1:03 PM Post #3,301 of 7,532
+1 for the Evo:L3000:

Yea, Superlux did an amazing job with them! It's the only one of their products I've heard so far, but I've been thinking about buying their HD 381 F IEMs... I'm afraid they don't isolate good enough for when I'm using the train or bus, but hey, at their price I might aswell try them! :p

Feb 2, 2014 at 1:58 PM Post #3,302 of 7,532
Hip-Hop, really? Haven't tried using the Senns for that yet, perhaps I should. I've been using my Superlux HD 681 EVOs for modern music and bass-heavy stuff so far... :)

- Check the Superluxs out btw, they are an absolute STEAL! :beyersmile:  

Yea, but I'm not a basshead, even though I don't mind the bass that my M50's have. I listen to a lot of 'slowish' Hip-Hop, though, like for example: Starting Over by Macklemore and Right Now by Fort Minor. Maybe that's why it doesn't sound bad? idk... But I mostly listen to other genres with them. :)

I haven't tried the Superluxs, I'll check them out. :)

Feb 3, 2014 at 5:32 AM Post #3,303 of 7,532
Yea, but I'm not a basshead, even though I don't mind the bass that my M50's have. I listen to a lot of 'slowish' Hip-Hop, though, like for example: Starting Over by Macklemore and Right Now by Fort Minor. Maybe that's why it doesn't sound bad? idk... But I mostly listen to other genres with them.
smily_headphones1.gif

I haven't tried the Superluxs, I'll check them out.
smily_headphones1.gif

Ahh, okay, you are actually right, Starting Over sound pretty damn good with them! 
smily_headphones1.gif

Could find better matches than Right Now and the HD598s though, but thats just my opinion. 
normal_smile .gif

Regarding the EVOs... I would say they have much more bass than the Senns but not as much as the audio technicas. Actually the bass feels a bit tighter and more controlled than that of the M50s if you ask me. Mids is a bit recessed compared to the senns and the treble is sparkly but great. So a bit of a V-shape... Absolutely perfect for electronic music, pop etc - but good for everything else too! 
L3000.gif

Feb 3, 2014 at 3:59 PM Post #3,304 of 7,532
Ahh, okay, you are actually right, Starting Over sound pretty damn good with them! :)
Could find better matches than Right Now and the HD598s though, but thats just my opinion. 
normal_smile%20.gif

Regarding the EVOs... I would say they have much more bass than the Senns but not as much as the audio technicas. Actually the bass feels a bit tighter and more controlled than that of the M50s if you ask me. Mids is a bit recessed compared to the senns and the treble is sparkly but great. So a bit of a V-shape... Absolutely perfect for electronic music, pop etc - but good for everything else too! :L3000:

Yea, I just included Right Now, because it's a slowish song and I like it lol :)

They sound interesting, I'll see if they have them in display in Fry's, when i go.

Feb 3, 2014 at 6:23 PM Post #3,305 of 7,532
If I get a pair of the HD598 and use it with a NAD 320BEE amp, will I still need a headphone amp to drive them?  Here are the specs sheet on the 320BBE.  I don't know which spec I should be reading to figure out.

http://nadelectronics.com/products/hifi-amplifiers/c-320bee-stereo-integrated-amplifier#heading-downloads

I appreciate your help!

Feb 3, 2014 at 6:57 PM Post #3,306 of 7,532
  If I get a pair of the HD598 and use it with a NAD 320BEE amp, will I still need a headphone amp to drive them?  Here are the specs sheet on the 320BBE.  I don't know which spec I should be reading to figure out.

http://nadelectronics.com/products/hifi-amplifiers/c-320bee-stereo-integrated-amplifier#heading-downloads

I appreciate your help!

Not at all.  That NAD will power them with no problems.

Feb 3, 2014 at 7:03 PM Post #3,307 of 7,532

I appreciate your help!

Headamp section's output impedance is stated at 220-ohms.  Too high.  For HD598 and other low-impedance headphones, it needs to be zero or very, very close to it.

Feb 3, 2014 at 7:11 PM Post #3,309 of 7,532
The manual to my Arcam Alpha 8 amp states it can drives headphones between 30-2000ohms.  It's max output level into 600ohms is 10V rms and the output impedance is 330ohms.  It drives all my cans fine, I would have thought the same about that NAD too.

Sorry, hope I'm not opening a can of worms here!

Feb 3, 2014 at 7:36 PM Post #3,310 of 7,532

I appreciate your help!

Headamp section's output impedance is stated at 220-ohms.  Too high.  For HD598 and other low-impedance headphones, it needs to be zero or very, very close to it.

The HD598's impedance is 50 Ohms. Using the 1/8th rule for damping the output impedance of the should be less than 50/8 or less than 6.25 Ohms. I prefer 1/10th which would be 5 Ohms.
The phones output is too high and would cause a poorly controlled bass boost due to poor damping and the HD598's impedance curve. You could instead put the cans on the speaker taps, however, if you do this directly you can play far too loud for your ears and possibly burn out the 598's if you turn up the volume too high. The way to deal with this is to attach your cans to the speaker taps by way of an L-PAD which would lower the power delivered to the 598's as well keep the impedance to the cans low, like 5 Ohms or less and drop the power. You can find out about what an L-PAD is by asking Google. Basically it's two resistors per channel. You can also buy variable stereo L-PADs.

Feb 3, 2014 at 7:49 PM Post #3,311 of 7,532
The 598s have a 300ohm impedance spike at around 100hz.

Feb 3, 2014 at 8:02 PM Post #3,312 of 7,532
Greatest.
Deal.
Ever.

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Free-shipping-HD598-Trend-mp3-mp4-earphones-computer-headset/1137171452.html?s=p

You're welcome.. lol

Feb 3, 2014 at 8:05 PM Post #3,313 of 7,532
Now if their drivers offer competitive sound quality with low-end headphones, that might definitely be a fine deal for knock-offs.

Feb 3, 2014 at 8:16 PM Post #3,314 of 7,532
The 598s have a 300ohm impedance spike at around 100hz.

Just under 100 Hz. This would form an attenuator with the 220 Ohm resistor + output impedance of the Amp (which is much smaller and less of a factor). The minimum attenuation (Max volume) would be at 300 Ohms. and when the impedance drops to the spec'd 50 Ohm the volume will be lowest.
Rounded to the 100th's place and ignoring the Amp's output impedance:
0.58 at 90 Hz
0.19 at 50 Ohms.
That's about +9.7 dB of bass boost.

Feb 4, 2014 at 4:47 AM Post #3,315 of 7,532

I appreciate your help!

I would say to give it a try! I use mine with a speaker amp aswell, and they pair very well. Everything sounds much better with the amp than on PC alone or portable sources (mp3 player, mobile phone, tablet etc.)

The biggest difference is the bass, that has a lot more presence with the amp. Without it it's kind of light, no wonder people say the cans are bass light, but that's not true, it matters on what you're using them, regardless of what it says on the box (optimised for ipod).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back