Sennheiser HD 598 Impressions Thread
Feb 19, 2015 at 8:17 AM Post #4,607 of 7,533
On BF amazon sold the 598 for $100. After that I see numerous 598s go on sale on VNese and Singaporean forums. I think $130 is a good price for these, but some were selling their 598s (bought on BF, of course) for ~$180. It's ridiculous

Feb 19, 2015 at 9:37 AM Post #4,608 of 7,533
I'm not disagreeing with you Krutsch. In fact I belive you and I are in agreement. If you listen to two different headphones and feel one is better, then that is what matters. You are not making a choice and calling one headphone superior because of a "majority opinion or cost. I get a bit tired of those who use the premise that because headphone A costs more than headphone B that it is superior, or if most people say that headphone A is better than B then it is, as you have pointed out these are not the criteria behind your opinion

Many of the contributors to these forums have a hard time separating facts from opinions. Both are valid especially when you can tell the difference

It's all good... I'm sure I overreacted 
beerchug.gif

Feb 19, 2015 at 9:40 AM Post #4,609 of 7,533
  +1. The HD5x8s are hands down the most comfortable headphones I've ever had - provided the room temperature is right. The HD6x0 are heavier, but still very comfortable.

+1 ... completely agree. I also have a set of HD-558 (my girlfriend now has them) and along with the HD-598 are the most comfortable cans ever. Except for ... wait for it... the Bose QC-x5 series, noise canceling 'phones. I can wear those cans for a 12 hour flight and forget I have them on.

Feb 19, 2015 at 10:13 AM Post #4,610 of 7,533
In term of weight, the RS1 and MS Pro is non existent. However, they are still on-ears. For over-ears comfort I'd go for the GS1000, which weights just a tiny bit more than its siblings. Hoever the ear-pads are also circle shaped...

I have not tried the Bose, so I can't comment on that. I like pads plus the reasonable weight of the HD5x8 line. If I put them on for hours in an un-aircon-ed room in summer I'd probably sweat, but that has never happened.

Feb 19, 2015 at 6:48 PM Post #4,611 of 7,533
have a little observation about HD598 and open headphones in general to share:

Open headphones have excellent soundstage, but it will be easily effed up by a generally unnoticeable background noise, especially if said noise is coming from one side and is in higher frequencies (e.g. pc fan noise). As a result, sound staging cues are "shifted" to the opposite direction :D or to be more precise - the ones that are coming from the side of the background noise are masked and there you are sitting and wondering if your pair has a problem or your hearing's gone bad :/

Feb 19, 2015 at 10:08 PM Post #4,612 of 7,533
It's crazy how low these headphones go. I got them back when they were still around 180ish and even then, I still would buy another pair if the price were still the same.

Feb 20, 2015 at 12:36 AM Post #4,613 of 7,533
Crazier than that, is the way people perceive these or any other headphones because of price. For quite a while now they have become rather affordable and are considered "entry level" audiophile headphones. It becomes one of those "well these are great for the price" but obviously lack in x,y,z.

If someone was to buy these for $300, all of a sudden the x,y,z bits can be seen as mere properties that contribute to it's excellent signature.

Not saying everyone is like this. There are people that are stone cold objective about things, even if they made the "wrong" decision to buy an expensive product. They make the best reviewers :)

Feb 20, 2015 at 12:39 AM Post #4,614 of 7,533
  Crazier than that, is the way people perceive these or any other headphones because of price. For quite a while now they have become rather affordable and are considered "entry level" audiophile headphones. It becomes one of those "well these are great for the price" but obviously lack in x,y,z.

If someone was to buy these for $300, all of a sudden the x,y,z bits can be seen as mere properties that contribute to it's excellent signature.

Not saying everyone is like this. There are people that are stone cold objective about things, even if they made the "wrong" decision to buy an expensive product. They make the best reviewers :)

The entrepreneurs among us can exploit this effect by buying HD 598s for $150, putting a fancy sticker on them, and selling them at $300.  They sound MUCH better when they cost more!!
regular_smile .gif

Feb 20, 2015 at 1:42 AM Post #4,615 of 7,533
  It's crazy how low these headphones go. I got them back when they were still around 180ish and even then, I still would buy another pair if the price were still the same.

I believe at first they costed about $220. May be more. 

Perhaps the HD598 is reaching the end of its life circle and Senn is considering a new generation? HD599 anyone?

Feb 20, 2015 at 2:41 AM Post #4,616 of 7,533
have a little observation about HD598 and open headphones in general to share:

Open headphones have excellent soundstage, but it will be easily effed up by a generally unnoticeable background noise, especially if said noise is coming from one side and is in higher frequencies (e.g. pc fan noise). As a result, sound staging cues are "shifted" to the opposite direction :D or to be more precise - the ones that are coming from the side of the background noise are masked and there you are sitting and wondering if your pair has a problem or your hearing's gone bad :/
I have used closed headphones for many years before getting the 598 and I can tell you I have not experienced this problem at all. I have a very noisy ceiling fan in my room to go with a noisy computer.

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

Feb 20, 2015 at 2:43 AM Post #4,617 of 7,533

I believe at first they costed about $220. May be more. 

Perhaps the HD598 is reaching the end of its life circle and Senn is considering a new generation? HD599 anyone?
HD 598 launch price was $300 and in my country they still cost $250.

Feb 20, 2015 at 4:19 AM Post #4,618 of 7,533
I have used closed headphones for many years before getting the 598 and I can tell you I have not experienced this problem at all. I have a very noisy ceiling fan in my room to go with a noisy computer.

I live in a tropical country and when it rained in the summer, I couldn't enjoy the Grados or HD598s at all. Using these on airplanes is also a bad idea. 
HD 598 launch price was $300 and in my country they still cost $250.

In my country they cost about $220, but during promotions they'll also give you a HD449 for free

Feb 20, 2015 at 10:58 AM Post #4,619 of 7,533

the problem is apparent when the noise only comes from one direction. my pc is on the table, not under it, at the left side of the monitor and the fan noise is level to my head. believe me, at first I couldn';t pinpoint the source of the problem, but then I listened to it in another room, with no apparent noise and everything was ok.

Feb 20, 2015 at 11:08 AM Post #4,620 of 7,533

the problem is apparent when the noise only comes from one direction. my pc is on the table, not under it, at the left side of the monitor and the fan noise is level to my head. believe me, at first I couldn';t pinpoint the source of the problem, but then I listened to it in another room, with no apparent noise and everything was ok.

You're not the only one who dislikes noise coming from One Direction, believe me!

EDIT:  Sorry, couldn't help, nothing to see here :p

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back