Sennheiser HD 598, Audio Technica ATH M50 S, Audio Technica PRO700 MKII ANV - What to expect & what to get..
May 3, 2012 at 12:03 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

FrostyJac

New Head-Fier

Hello everyone! Good day to all audiophiles and music lovers in here! This is my first post.

I just joined the forums earlier though I've been reading a lot the past days.. Read so much that I'm having high fever now as I'm making this. :frowning2:

A series of events lead me here.. It all started with me, wanting to buy a pair of headphones for my 21st birthday which was on April 30. Me, being a perfectionist and balanced kind of guy, I always do lots of research bout stuff that I'm about to get, regardless of what it is. I just don't want to squander money foolishly. Having that said, the epitome of my perfectionist attitude is, maximizing everything so as not to waste anything. Though as we all know, nothing is perfect, I'm sure we can always opt for the best option.  :)

The title of this thread I made pretty much explains itself. After choosing from a wide selection of headphones here at local shops in our country, these 3 seem to top my list. I know they all sound great and such, but they have critical differences as well.

Here are my findings, and after them I will also put my questions and points of curiosity.

First off, the Sennheiser HD 598 - An open air, over ear type of cans. Has a big sound stage, easy to drive (50 ohms), not an isolating type since it's an open air type. Bleeds in and bleeds out which gives more depth to the media being played. Bass isn't its forte as these cans are more of a jack of all trades type. Very comfortable, can be worn for long periods of time.. Lightweight because of its plastic build.

Second, Audio Technica ATH M50 S   &   Audio Technica PRO700 MKII ANV - A type of over ear cans too, though they are closed and isolates way better than the HD 598. I haven't read much about these guys probably because they're limited stocks and few have them, but what I do know is, many stated in their reviews that these cans are for bass heads. They also say that they're not really that comfortable because they tend to clamp your head rather than just sit on it. And that the Audio Technica PRO700 MKII ANV isn't worth the price because, even though it has specifically designed drivers like the other ANV models, it just sounds a little better than the general Audio Technica PRO700 MKII. On the other hand, the Audio Technica ATH M50 S, regarding how they sound seems to be very promising..

I'll be most of the time, getting my media either from my laptop or my smartphone..

Here are my questions about them.. Questions that you guys, who also loves music will definitely be able to answer.

1) The Sennheiser HD 598 is an open air type of headphones.. Just how much do they bleed? If used them in the subway, public transport or even at the campus cafeteria (Yeah, I'm still studying), will I still be able to enjoy listening to my music? And if the bleeding is really loud, how loud can it be in public areas, can it be so loud that I'd be disturbing others?

2) Among these 3 headphones, which would sound the best in general? Regardless of genre, regardless of their ups and downs.. Just, simply put, the best overall of what these 3 can give.

3) The price of the Audio Technica PRO700 MKII ANV often times is twice than the Audio Technica ATH M50 S.. Which is better? Is it true that these headphones are for bass heads ONLY, meaning that they really give hard banging lows to your noggin and that you won't enjoy it if you're not a bass lover. And last but not the least about these 2, how would they fare against the HD 598 when it comes to their sound?

4) I'm also planning to get a FiiO E17 for whatever of these 3 I will get.. Is it a good choice? It definitely can drive any of those cans and has the features of the E7 and E10..

5) Lastly, how far is the difference of greatness of these headphones from the local ones? E.g. stock in ear headphones for samsung galaxy note (my smart phone, one of my media sources). I ask this because, I'm pretty much satisfied with those stocks and other local ones.. So for sure, I'd love any of those 3 cans I'm asking about. I just want, even though not literally hear them, but to see their scores according to you guys who are of course, headphones experts - at least I'd get the idea out of numbers.. XD

This is such a long post of mine which really requires deep insights from those who really know these stuff.. I know this aren't just some questions that can be easily answered but.. That's why I asked here. Because I know, you guys are knowledgeable and credible for such things. I bet that you can feel my enthusiasm for owning a great pair of headphones.. So, please do help. Will be looking forward to great answers by great audiophiles!

Thanks.  :)

May 3, 2012 at 2:16 PM Post #2 of 7
Have you had a chance to try these headphones yourself? No matter how "accurate" someones opinion/review is nothing will beat first hand experience. I haven't tried any of the headphones you have listed so I wont comment on their sound but on the other stuff you mentioned 

1) Senns are open so they will leak music, a LOT. People sitting next to you will be able to hear what your listening to clearly. On public transport this would be a problem as most people don't like loud music. They will also let in a lot of noise so you won't really be able to enjoy your music as much. I had the HD558's which have exactly the same design, and I've tried the M50's briefly, so I'd say comfort goes to the Senns. If you plan on using these headphones for walking around I suggest getting portable headphones as all of these are full sized with 3M cables (not sure about the pro700). It would be a hassle to carry around.

2) Can't answer

3) Your paying twice as much for the pro700's because they are limited edition. I don't know what the general consensus is, but your paying a premium for it's Limited Editioness. There are better headphones out there for the same price. They are veered for bassheads. Whether they will suit you depends on your tastes and what music genres you listen to.

4) If you can afford it go for it. Has some great reviews.

5) If you've never heard anything better than stock earphones/earbuds then your in for a massive shock. The difference is literally night and day. If that is the case might I suggest taking a small step rather than quite a big one. You can get a really cheap headphone like the panasonic HTF600 which easily competes with headphones a lot more expensive and still get a sound that destroys stock earphones.

May 3, 2012 at 4:14 PM Post #4 of 7
Quote:
1) The Sennheiser HD 598 is an open air type of headphones.. Just how much do they bleed? If used them in the subway, public transport or even at the campus cafeteria (Yeah, I'm still studying), will I still be able to enjoy listening to my music? And if the bleeding is really loud, how loud can it be in public areas, can it be so loud that I'd be disturbing others?

2) Among these 3 headphones, which would sound the best in general? Regardless of genre, regardless of their ups and downs.. Just, simply put, the best overall of what these 3 can give.

3) The price of the Audio Technica PRO700 MKII ANV often times is twice than the Audio Technica ATH M50 S.. Which is better? Is it true that these headphones are for bass heads ONLY, meaning that they really give hard banging lows to your noggin and that you won't enjoy it if you're not a bass lover. And last but not the least about these 2, how would they fare against the HD 598 when it comes to their sound?

I don't have a pair of Senn HD598, and I haven't tried one before, so I really can't compare them with the 2 AT models in your consideration. However, the Senns are not known for being bassy, the M50 is a decent headphone with a good bass extension, and the PRO700MK2 is a pure basshead headphone. They are all quite different cans. The ANV edition of the PRO700MK2 isn't very different from the regular version, so you might want to consider the stock model if that's what you're after.

It pretty much depends on your needs and wants. Again, I haven't heard the HD598, but if you're looking for a good basshead pair of cans, you should go with the M50; try the PRO700MK2s only if you're a bass lover through and through.

May 4, 2012 at 12:10 AM Post #5 of 7
Quote:
Have you had a chance to try these headphones yourself? No matter how "accurate" someones opinion/review is nothing will beat first hand experience. I haven't tried any of the headphones you have listed so I wont comment on their sound but on the other stuff you mentioned 

1) Senns are open so they will leak music, a LOT. People sitting next to you will be able to hear what your listening to clearly. On public transport this would be a problem as most people don't like loud music. They will also let in a lot of noise so you won't really be able to enjoy your music as much. I had the HD558's which have exactly the same design, and I've tried the M50's briefly, so I'd say comfort goes to the Senns. If you plan on using these headphones for walking around I suggest getting portable headphones as all of these are full sized with 3M cables (not sure about the pro700). It would be a hassle to carry around.

2) Can't answer

3) Your paying twice as much for the pro700's because they are limited edition. I don't know what the general consensus is, but your paying a premium for it's Limited Editioness. There are better headphones out there for the same price. They are veered for bassheads. Whether they will suit you depends on your tastes and what music genres you listen to.

4) If you can afford it go for it. Has some great reviews.

5) If you've never heard anything better than stock earphones/earbuds then your in for a massive shock. The difference is literally night and day. If that is the case might I suggest taking a small step rather than quite a big one. You can get a really cheap headphone like the panasonic HTF600 which easily competes with headphones a lot more expensive and still get a sound that destroys stock earphones.

Yeah. First hand experience sure is waaaay different.. Though I wish I can do that. We're so far from the city that's why..

So the Senn's do leak a lot.. Not much practical on public areas then, could be on outdoors where it's quiet and doesn't have bad weather conditions..

I kinda felt that same way too regarding the PRO700 ANV edition, paying it's hefty price because it's limited edition not because it's really way better than it's general version. And, so it's for bass heads.. I'm gonna cross it out from my list then. I don't like too much bass as it makes one's head hurt after some time.

M50's or Senns HD 598.. Both not portable, over ear (I like over ear), have long cables (can manage it in my pockets).. Hmhmhm..

Uhuh, I am expecting to be blown away by these hi fi headphones.. Given that stocks sound good to me, what more for these ones, right? I'd still go for either of these 2 left rather than get something cheap.. The reason is, I won't be collecting headphones, rather just get what I can use for a very long time.

Anyway, thanks for clearing many of my questions. Really appreciated. :)

May 4, 2012 at 12:23 AM Post #6 of 7
Quote:

I don't have a pair of Senn HD598, and I haven't tried one before, so I really can't compare them with the 2 AT models in your consideration. However, the Senns are not known for being bassy, the M50 is a decent headphone with a good bass extension, and the PRO700MK2 is a pure basshead headphone. They are all quite different cans. The ANV edition of the PRO700MK2 isn't very different from the regular version, so you might want to consider the stock model if that's what you're after.

It pretty much depends on your needs and wants. Again, I haven't heard the HD598, but if you're looking for a good basshead pair of cans, you should go with the M50; try the PRO700MK2s only if you're a bass lover through and through.

Yeah, Senns are more into being accurate..

PRO700MK2 - pure basshead headphone, the more I think of it, the more I seem to feel like I'm gonna puke. (Still sick right now) Though given it's price compared to the M50's, I think I'll go with the M50's if I'm not going to get the Senns HD 598, as the M50's seems to really have a big difference from it's general version rather than the PRO700MKII.

Regarding the bass power of the PRO700MKII, we have a saag subwoofer and speakers here at our home, it's bass is so strong that our house (5 floors) shakes with it.. literally. And you can hear it's bass up to the 3rd floor, inside the room. Is... the PRO700MKII & M50's bass comparable to that when you wear them?

I love rock. I listen to lots of music. I love music! I love a descent amount of everything, getting the best of all worlds! :)

Btw guys, here are the shops available here at our country:

https://www.facebook.com/gogadgets
https://www.facebook.com/Superluxphil
https://www.facebook.com/pages/AUDIO-TECHNICA-PHILIPPINES/108873999153897
https://www.facebook.com/AKGPhilippines
https://www.facebook.com/fiiophil

Are there any better cans in the price range of the m50 and HD 598 from AKG/SUPERLUX/AUDIO TECHNICA? I'd love to read and read again, but I can't afford to do so since I'm sick already.. :frowning2:

May 4, 2012 at 1:33 PM Post #7 of 7
Quote:
Yeah, Senns are more into being accurate..

PRO700MK2 - pure basshead headphone, the more I think of it, the more I seem to feel like I'm gonna puke. (Still sick right now) Though given it's price compared to the M50's, I think I'll go with the M50's if I'm not going to get the Senns HD 598, as the M50's seems to really have a big difference from it's general version rather than the PRO700MKII.

Regarding the bass power of the PRO700MKII, we have a saag subwoofer and speakers here at our home, it's bass is so strong that our house (5 floors) shakes with it.. literally. And you can hear it's bass up to the 3rd floor, inside the room. Is... the PRO700MKII & M50's bass comparable to that when you wear them?

I love rock. I listen to lots of music. I love music! I love a descent amount of everything, getting the best of all worlds! :)

Yup, the PRO700MK2 is just a purebred basshead can. It doesn't even pretend to be anything but a bass monster. At least you know what you're getting into.. if you're not a huge bass lover, you can strike the PRO700 off of your list. It's just not going to cut it as a decent headphone for general music listening.

The M50, on the other hand, are a better proposition for most types of music. It has decent bass extension and can kick in when necessary. At least the mids aren't so recessed as on the PRO700MK2s. Since you love rock, the M50s are more appropriate for that genre of music. :)

Anyway, I'm not into speakers, so I can't really compare. However, the bass experience of a headphone and a set of speakers are quite different. Nevertheless, the PRO700MK2 can and will rattle your head.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back