Sennheiser HD-595 vs. 598
Dec 22, 2010 at 8:57 PM Post #61 of 67

pp312

Hoping to be taken seriously for once in his life

Quote:
hey guys, I'm looking at the frequency response comparison graph for the HD555 and HD558 and HD598, and it seems to me like they are remarkably similar... which leads me to doubt myself in saying the new models have more bass.

http://graphs.headphone.com/graphCompare.php?graphType=0&graphID[]=2851&graphID[]=563&graphID[]=2861

Strange cause I could have sworn they sounded that way...

No change in the bass from the graphs, but wow, the new models have heaps more treble. Did it sound that way to you...or anyone who's heard them?

Dec 23, 2010 at 11:21 PM Post #62 of 67

arturonefx

New Head-Fier

scorpeeon said:
/img/forum/go_quote.gif

alright. we know for sure that 555 and 595 drivers are the same (i dunno the part number but i checked once and they match) and also that 558 and 598 drivers are the same (source: http://www.headfonia.com/sennheisers-new-hd558-and-hd598/3/).
the only question is if 555/595 has the same driver as 558/598. according to sennheiser's page, their specs (frequency range, etc) are the same. of course it's also possible the part numbers differs and there's still only a little/no difference. it's really interesting cause someone says they sound the same, someone who hated 555/595 likes  the new ones..

Thanks very much! What you offered cannnot solve my issue.

May 24, 2011 at 9:54 AM Post #63 of 67

jrkong

Formerly known as ak47-whaaa
Member of the Trade: SPEAR Labs
Ok, I'm going to tackle multiple issues at once:

Quote:
alright. we know for sure that 555 and 595 drivers are the same (i dunno the part number but i checked once and they match) and also that 558 and 598 drivers are the same (source: http://www.headfonia.com/sennheisers-new-hd558-and-hd598/3/).
the only question is if 555/595 has the same driver as 558/598. according to sennheiser's page, their specs (frequency range, etc) are the same. of course it's also possible the part numbers differs and there's still only a little/no difference. it's really interesting cause someone says they sound the same, someone who hated 555/595 likes  the new ones..

NOT TRUE!!!!
Keep in mind, that APPEARANCES CAN BE DECEIVING!!!
Most likely, Sennheiser uses different finishes to change the sound sig of the two headphones, when combined with the different grill, the sound sig is more refined

Quote:

Yeah, the mod is aviable on the 558 too.

http://www.headfonia.com/sennheisers-new-hd558-and-hd598/3/

foam mod is kinda a "faux" sound mod that is totally different from the 598, because the mod doesn't make the headphones match any of the 598 characteristics. The grills are still different and so are the drivers, the only thing you change is the way the drivers recieve air and how they move, but once again, neither characteristic matches the 598 so it cant really be called a "598" mod but it is a soundstage mod non the less.

Ohh yeah I'm making a headphone 101 blog for our non-audiophile friends: http://www.headphonesfordummies.blogspot.com/
gimme a pm if you want to help out (i really need help cuz I got lotsa work, Its almost exam time!)!

Aug 21, 2012 at 11:48 PM Post #65 of 67

Arkyle

100+ Head-Fier
Hello guys! I've been reading the posts in these forums for a very long time now but this is the first time I post anything (just joined, too). 
I've listened to both and own the 598. I decided on them after a week with both models. Both are my friend's and he let me use them so I could make a decision; he uses the 598 for home use and the 595 for the cabin in a recording studio so they were pretty burned-in. 

The most important attribute is the sound and I found the 598 to have an amazingly flat frequency response, more than the 595. And that difference started to be more obvious as days went by. Even when the graphs showed that they weren't that different, I couldn't help but notice how the 595 tend to punch the mid-bass more than the 598, similar to the HD 400 series (specially the 435, although the other frequencies are obviously superior in the 595). And there's that soundstage everyone is talking about; the soundstage of the 598 is just huge. 

That might not be enough to get the 598 over the 595, but the build construction sold me. The 598 are made of better plastic that feels more solid than the 595's, the headband is more cushy and soft, and I found the colors appealing. Not only that; I bought them in a music store in Germany and both models were almost the same price, so it was a pretty good deal. 

Oct 13, 2021 at 12:23 PM Post #66 of 67

Moonfalcon

New Head-Fier

VS.

I decided to take some time and compare both just to see what the marginal trivial is and to be honest the only difference I found was the 598 has a different housing, "Premium beige and high-gloss burl wood parts for a sophisticated finish" as stated by Sennheiser...everything else seems to be the same! It doesn't even come with a headphone holder. I mean, I find it stylish, while others don't...it would look nice for collection purposes but other than that I find it useless if one already owns the HD-595. However, what was the real reason behind Sennheiser announcing the HD-598 if it isn't different in sound quality? I can't seem to figure that one out. Will it perhaps replace the HD-595 in fashion? So, let's say if one needs to replace their old HD-595 for technical tribulations, will they receive the HD-598 as an alternative? That's a big leeway.

I find this exceedingly outlandish!

blink.gif
K-MONEY, you are correct on all acounts, the 595 and the 598 are exactly the same when it comes to it's sound stage and the only thing that differs is the colour of the plastic that it's made of, the colour and shape (maybe even material?) of the headband padding and the colour of the pads.

Oct 13, 2021 at 12:28 PM Post #67 of 67

Moonfalcon

New Head-Fier
the only question is if 555/595 has the same driver as 558/598. according to sennheiser's page, their specs (frequency range, etc) are the same. of course it's also possible the part numbers differs and there's still only a little/no difference. it's really interesting cause someone says they sound the same, someone who hated 555/595 likes the new ones..
The 555's has different (I would say inferior) drivers than the 595's.

Ok, I'm going to tackle multiple issues at once:

Quote:

NOT TRUE!!!!
Keep in mind, that APPEARANCES CAN BE DECEIVING!!!
Most likely, Sennheiser uses different finishes to change the sound sig of the two headphones, when combined with the different grill, the sound sig is more refined

Quote:

foam mod is kinda a "faux" sound mod that is totally different from the 598, because the mod doesn't make the headphones match any of the 598 characteristics. The grills are still different and so are the drivers, the only thing you change is the way the drivers recieve air and how they move, but once again, neither characteristic matches the 598 so it cant really be called a "598" mod but it is a soundstage mod non the less.

Ohh yeah I'm making a headphone 101 blog for our non-audiophile friends: http://www.headphonesfordummies.blogspot.com/
gimme a pm if you want to help out (i really need help cuz I got lotsa work, Its almost exam time!)!
It really isn't... the sound stage is exactly the same, the only difference comes from different pads or different earpads.

Users who are viewing this thread