Sennheiser Hd-595 impressions
Apr 9, 2005 at 10:26 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 31

taymat

500+ Head-Fier
Hi I've listened to the hd595 for a lot of time today (and been burning it in with 20-20 sweeps) and I think I can now tell you how they sound to me.
Particular instruments that sound good:
Pianos, Trumpets/Saxophones, Spanish/Acoustic electric guitars (you know that liquidy sound they love in Jazz) and Female Voices all sound good. There's a smooth, slightly warm sound to all of them but it's never muddy. Saxophones and pianos in particular sound smooooth and you get the whole body of the piano as well as the initial notes as well. Jazz lovers will like this headphone, especially with modern recordings. Cymbals sound great, detailed and airy without being over-sweet although the lower treble treble is a bit muted.
The bad:
Deep Bass sounds present and correct, never exagerrated but always there, mid and upper bass is very poor though. There's no impact, no drive, nothing. It's as flat as a Desert and just as interesting. Anything but *the* bassiest recordings sound bass light to my ears and this makes nearly all rock music redundant. I mean it's really poor for this, my akg k240s maul it in all but deep bass and they aren't really punchy or bassy, at least not to me.
Distorted Electric Guitars: Sound dulled and cut off in the high end. It's like they lack presence and sharpness. The distortion details are there but there's little strumming sound, your hearing the guitar in the next room rather than close to you.
Drums: Due to the lack of mid and upper bass there's not much snap or drive, especially to the Kick drum which is almost absent. This makes them slightly easier to follow, but it means there's less liveliness so when listening to rock music, they aren't hard hitting enough.
Soundstage: Ok this is where you're music really matters because recordings with a soundstage sound great. Right now it's like there's a sax a few metres in front of me, slightly above my head, with instruments either side of that at diagonals to my head. It's very deep and wide, sounding more speaker like in this respect than any other headphone I've heard. There are downsides to this presentation though, any recordings with one channel instruments sound just like that with no L/R to C mixing at all. If there's little sound in the centre channel with speakers, you'll just get l and r with no centre on the 595s. This is accurate I suppose, but I like a smaller soundstage which makes instruments blend together more, rather than separate them.
Final thoughts:
Jazz is good, rock is bad, classical is mediocre, gaming is fantastic if you don't need overblown bass. These headphones aren't for me really, and it's a shame it's taken me £113 to find that out. However I will keep them still, as I've just tried them for gaming and they're fantastic, equal to my rs-1s with bowls but more refined. They're easy to drive and the soundstage really helps you out in FPS games.
BTW I heard no graininess that some people complained about, though I do hear a definite upper midrange roll off, little mid/upper bass and little presence/snap to any sound. The midrange also sounds a bit airless sometimes, but sibilance is well controlled.
Edit: Just a final note about comfort as it's very good. My ears are a bit wide and just fit in, but there's plenty of height and they never get overheated. Overall construction is ok, the frame feels a bit plasticky in places but then it is so I can't complain too much. Also the stand that comes with the 595 is sturdy and works well, I've got the headphones hanging in between my pc and tv.

Apr 9, 2005 at 10:46 PM Post #2 of 31
Nice review. Have you tried it with 120ohm output? it should give it more midbass and add more impact.

Apr 10, 2005 at 1:21 AM Post #3 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by spike33
Nice review. Have you tried it with 120ohm output? it should give it more midbass and add more impact.

Ahh well you see I'm using it un-amped, so I can't test it with a dedicated amp. I've got the 50 ohm version though and it's like a 32 ohm can to drive, so I don't think an amp would make that much difference.

Apr 10, 2005 at 4:03 AM Post #4 of 31
Hmm.

I have the 120-ohm HD595s and while I think the review is a bit harsh, the lack of midbass described is not a bad description what they sound like unamped. When amped the midbass is really much better and they balance out very nicely...

Apr 10, 2005 at 4:39 AM Post #5 of 31
The HD595 is the headphone that made a burn-in believer of me. I gave mine (120 ohm model) 200+ hours of burn-in and an inexpensive amp and they're some of the nicest, most well balanced headphones I've heard.

Just saying you should let them burn in more and give them more of a chance, though just because I really like 'em, doesn't mean you will.
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 10, 2005 at 8:11 AM Post #7 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by taymat
Ahh well you see I'm using it un-amped, so I can't test it with a dedicated amp. I've got the 50 ohm version though and it's like a 32 ohm can to drive, so I don't think an amp would make that much difference.

Hi, remember, BURN IN is a -must- with the HD595; and please try them with a good "drive" possibly...
smily_headphones1.gif
wink.gif

Apr 10, 2005 at 10:48 AM Post #9 of 31
Also, you should note that you're coming from a somewhat 'extreme' headphone for lower treble 'behaviour' and bass-midbass. I personally think that my K141S simply sux compared to the HD595.

At any rate, I experienced a comparable 'perplexity' (wouldn't have fancied putting it out that harshly though) with midbass & treble in the early listenings. But >=100 hours later...... (they 'open up' more and more with time...... if you stay faithful
biggrin.gif
)
wink.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1UP
But also btw, I also think the 595s are arse.

eggosmile.gif

Apr 10, 2005 at 11:19 AM Post #10 of 31
I tried the 595s will a few different amps with mixed results. The best I tried with it was the 120 ohm jack of the Prehead. It made the 595 sound better compared with the 0 ohm jack, but it didn't radically change the things you're decribing in your review.

Apr 10, 2005 at 11:49 AM Post #11 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by Helter Skelter
The HD595 is the headphone that made a burn-in believer of me. I gave mine (120 ohm model) 200+ hours of burn-in and an inexpensive amp and they're some of the nicest, most well balanced headphones I've heard.

Just saying you should let them burn in more and give them more of a chance, though just because I really like 'em, doesn't mean you will.
smily_headphones1.gif

I second this. When I first got them they sounded bad but after a good few hours playing music on repeat they sound excellent!

Apr 10, 2005 at 2:56 PM Post #12 of 31
I tested the 595 two weeks ago and came overall to the same conclusions as taymat. To me, they sounded WORLDCLASS with classical music on cheapish integrated amp. On the other hand, trance or ambient on strong amp sounded ridiculus on the 595s. I was so lucky to have the opportunity to give them back to my dealer.
Excellent phones, the 595, but -to me- it really depends from music style & from the source they're driven from. Not from my main sources and not with my main music. Really a pity, for the tank-built DT 770s I finally kept are heavy as hell.

Apr 11, 2005 at 4:58 PM Post #13 of 31
The problem I have with these headphones is that I keep wanting to turn the volume up, because they sound so boring. I've checked the spl with a meter, it's peaking at 80db so no problem there. These headphones just sound...lifeless. They almost emphasize the bakground vocals and guitars rather than the lead guitar and vocals. I don't like that, it just doesn't sound right to me. I guess I like a 'HERE IS MUSIC! YOU MUST LISTEN! HOW GREAT IT SOUNDS!' presentation rather than the: 'here is some music, listen to how it works' way. Nevermind I'm hopefully going to get a grado, preferably an sr-325i, soon.
Why did I sell my rs-1s!

Apr 11, 2005 at 5:55 PM Post #14 of 31
Quote:

These headphones just sound...lifeless. They almost emphasize the bakground vocals and guitars rather than the lead guitar and vocals. I don't like that, it just doesn't sound right to me. I guess I like a 'HERE IS MUSIC! YOU MUST LISTEN! HOW GREAT IT SOUNDS!' presentation rather than the: 'here is some music, listen to how it works' way. Nevermind I'm hopefully going to get a grado, preferably an sr-325i, soon.
Why did I sell my rs-1s!

I've never heard the 595 but thats probably a senn thing. even the px100 does that. the bite of the lead instruments are not quite there unless you use an eq. but for headphones with the price range of the 595, eq IMO should be out of the question. I also have a 580. It also lacks bite. I thought the 595 was supposed to be their model that didn't have this problem. My Grado sr60s dont have this problem but have other annoying problems of its own
icon10.gif

Apr 11, 2005 at 6:08 PM Post #15 of 31
Quote:

The problem I have with these headphones is that I keep wanting to turn the volume up, because they sound so boring. I've checked the spl with a meter, it's peaking at 80db so no problem there. These headphones just sound...lifeless. They almost emphasize the bakground vocals and guitars rather than the lead guitar and vocals. I don't like that, it just doesn't sound right to me. I guess I like a 'HERE IS MUSIC! YOU MUST LISTEN! HOW GREAT IT SOUNDS!' presentation rather than the: 'here is some music, listen to how it works' way. Nevermind I'm hopefully going to get a grado, preferably an sr-325i, soon.
Why did I sell my rs-1s!

either you have faulty pair or not burnt in. 595 have a mini peak at upper mids similar to grados which have much sharper peak there. This emphasizes vocals (lead vocals to be more specific), guitars do sound a bit recessed though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back