Sennheiser HD-595 good for starters?
Feb 14, 2009 at 12:54 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 33

MRSHUTHEHELLUP

New Head-Fier
still havent made my mind up on a decent, good for everything can. im new to the headphone world. these will be used primarily for watching movies and music. for music i listen to mostly metal. looking for a good starter headphone. i hear grados are good for metal but everybody complains about comfort... soo, i'm ruling those out. i also hear sennheiser is lacking in the bass dept...

my price range is $300

Feb 14, 2009 at 1:01 PM Post #2 of 33
HD595 is really good for starters. But with $300 in hand you can go for HD580 and even HD600.

Feb 14, 2009 at 1:24 PM Post #3 of 33
Don't think Senn are great for metal they're a bit too laid back. When I had Senn's I switched to the Grados for indie/rock/pop. Senn are great for easy listening, classical, jazz. As for comfort on Grado I would say take a short break after each album.

Feb 14, 2009 at 1:29 PM Post #4 of 33
I love the K601 for a starter headphone. Very affordable and very all-round, also some if not the best wearing comfort. But if you'r really into metal, I would also strongly advise you grado's.

Feb 14, 2009 at 2:02 PM Post #7 of 33
I don't understand why some people say Grados are uncomfortable.
iGrados, sure, it was hell until I modded it with blu-tack and chamois.

But my SR80's and MS1's (both with quartered 414 pads) are to me more comfortable than HD555 which clamps quite hard and makes my ears rather hot..

You can bend the metal headband lightly to match the size and contour of your head..

Or maybe it's the bowl pads that aren't comfortable?

You should borrow one of your friend's, one with stretched headband and used (and thus softened up) bowl pads or with 414 pads to see if it's really that uncomfortable for you..

Feb 14, 2009 at 2:12 PM Post #8 of 33
X3 on Grados being exaggerated in the lack of comfort arena. Comparing them to my Senn HD 201's and my Denon AHD1001's, they actually more comfortable than the HD 201's. They're not AS comfortable as the Denons, but I've yet to find any headphone that is.

I have a fairly large head and I've never had to stretch the headband at all.

If you buy the upper level Grados and the bowl bothers you, buy some of the Grado flats (you can usually find them pretty cheap on somebody who bought SR60s and wanted to replace them with bowls) of the much mentioned Sennheiser 414 pads (these can be hard to find not on backorder, because they're so popular).

The Grados have really quick drivers, which are a godsend for metal, which is a really quick and dynamic type of music. Notes don't linger on the Grados at all. With some other headphones, I can find listening to metal a bit confusing, as when a lot is going on really fast, everything kind of gets muddled together. Not the case with the Grados. Everything is precise and crystal clear.

Feb 14, 2009 at 2:13 PM Post #9 of 33
Well as a long time user I still find them uncomfortable, I'm waiting on my flats still though. But with the bowls, the middle part, that really hurts my ear after a while, the sound is so fantastic that I keep them on anyway. Denon's are also a great choice, but grado's are easier to run without an amp.

Feb 14, 2009 at 2:33 PM Post #10 of 33
well... i need these phones for going on tour. they have to be quiet for everybody else on the bus and very comfortable. im sure the grados totally rule for metal, but i seriously dought you could wear them for hours and hours. those denons look pretty good.

Feb 14, 2009 at 3:01 PM Post #11 of 33
They will all be to noisy I think, why not look for some good IEM's?

Feb 14, 2009 at 3:02 PM Post #12 of 33
If you don't want to disturb other people you need a closed headphone.
Denon D2000, ATH ESW9/10, Ultrasone etc.

Feb 14, 2009 at 3:52 PM Post #14 of 33
AD900!!!

More AD900 Love Needed!!!

Feb 14, 2009 at 3:58 PM Post #15 of 33
I'd say its a fight between Denon AHD2000 which are the best closed in that range but with maybe a little to muhc bass response, 595 as the best open but with a less bass response which means for some music styles they are not as good and good pair of In-Ear-Models of which their is quit a few good onces at that range.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back