Sennheiser HD 595 deal - buy em?
Apr 26, 2011 at 2:36 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

mcescalante

New Head-Fier
There is a deal on Amazon today to get the 595's for $140. This is like $40 off of what you can get them for regularly, which is a pretty good deal.

I already have a pair of ATH-A700's that I love, but if these cans are great I wouldn't mind dropping a few bucks on them.

I have also heard that you can pick up HD 555's and just pull out some of the padding to get a nearly identical sound, and those are regularly like $80 or so.

I'm leaning towards no on the deal, but I'd love to hear general feedback - always nice to increase general knowledge anyways :)

Apr 26, 2011 at 4:01 PM Post #3 of 11
I bought a pair a couple of weeks ago when they were $116.   At that price, they were cheap enough for me to buy just to check out.   They're pretty nice sounding. They're probably going to be discontinued soon so deals will probably keep happening.

They're also available for $90 refurbished.

Apr 27, 2011 at 2:33 AM Post #4 of 11
I've also read that removing the padding from the HD 555 makes them nearly identical to the HD 595, sound-wise. However, you should keep in mind that doing so would void the warranty on the HD 555. I guess what it really boils down to is whether or not you want to spend an extra $60 for the peace of mind that comes along with having a warranty. If I were in your position I would probably just go with the HD 555. Paying an extra $60 (3/4 of the cost of a new pair of HD 555s) just for a warranty seems a bit unreasonable.

Apr 27, 2011 at 2:45 AM Post #5 of 11
I also think the 595 looks nicer. :p  I quite like mine though.  Keep in mind that it is rather light on the bass though, so maybe not the best match for electronic music.  But it's great for classical, rock and jazz.

Apr 27, 2011 at 9:26 AM Post #6 of 11
The price today is $124 on Amazon (looks like another reseller on Amazon came along with lower prices), which I find amusing.

Thank you for the welcome :) I've been trolling around here for a while, apparently I've just never managed to make a post, which I didn't even realize.

I am not a gamer, and I listen to mainly alternative rock, electronic music, and jazz (nu-jazz, classical, etc.). My ATH-A700's sound pretty nice for electronic with a bit of EQ work - I don't love their sound for jazz, though. I usually opt to plug in my speakers when I am going to really play some music.

The 595's look great, and if they sound nice it may be worth dropping a hundred bucks or so on a pair to hear them and use a "higher" model from Sennheiser - I don't use their professional cans very frequently.

Thanks guys for your quick responses :)

Apr 27, 2011 at 9:44 AM Post #7 of 11
If you've got the money, the extra $35-$50 or so for the HD-598 is totally worth it. The HD-598 can easily be had for $175. Electronics Expo and JR (by calling them only) has them for around this price. HD-598 is also going to be far better for gaming.

Apr 27, 2011 at 11:07 AM Post #8 of 11
Yea i got the 598 for 176.6 (including the shipping)  from EExpo.   So far I am enjoying them and yea it is good for games =) .. but havn't had a chance to fully get into them at this time. 

Quote:
If you've got the money, the extra $35-$50 or so for the HD-598 is totally worth it. The HD-598 can easily be had for $175. Electronics Expo and JR (by calling them only) has them for around this price. HD-598 is also going to be far better for gaming.

Apr 27, 2011 at 5:58 PM Post #9 of 11
Now it's at $134.  I was close to getting them last night for $139.  I waited until today.  Signed up for the Prime trial, and got em over night shipped for $4.

Why not, right?

Feed the addiction!  
biggrin.gif

Apr 28, 2011 at 1:19 AM Post #10 of 11

Quote:
Yea i got the 598 for 176.6 (including the shipping)  from EExpo.   So far I am enjoying them and yea it is good for games =) .. but havn't had a chance to fully get into them at this time. 

Oh, what, you can get them that cheap?  I was considering getting them, but on amazon they were $100 more.  Doesn't help that I live in Canada though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back