Sennheiser hd 595 + amplifier? Or just through the soundcard?
Nov 6, 2008 at 12:06 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

FireWaia

New Head-Fier
I just broke my hd 595 and after a week of sifting through various sites, reviews and all sorts of information i think i will stick to a new pair of hd 595.

BUT. i have been using my old ones straight from the computer, my soundcard is a Creative SoundBlaster Audigy 2 ZS.

Should i buy an amplifier and use that instead? And which one would fit nice with the hd 595 and a computer? I think i will limit myself to around 100-150$.

(mark well that i know very little about these things, but i have a good ear for good sound. And also try to ignore my bad English since I'm from Sweden)

Nov 6, 2008 at 3:45 PM Post #3 of 9
If it's any help, I found that using the headphone output from my PC speakers did wonders to the sound produced from the HD595's.

Unamped directly from my iPod, the HD595's do sound a little flat and weak.

I'm currently running a Little Dot MKIII amp fed by my iPod and the sound is better - more full-bodied.

My conclusion is that the HD595's sound better when amped, even though they are fairly efficient headphones with a low impdeance.

Nov 7, 2008 at 12:52 AM Post #7 of 9
get a used little dot or buy one of those xonar usb external audio devices---i was pleasantly surprised with the quality of those units

Nov 7, 2008 at 2:20 AM Post #8 of 9
maybe a good ol PPA unit would be good. not so expensive.

Nov 7, 2008 at 2:43 AM Post #9 of 9
I have a pair of the DT 770's (250 ohm model). They demand to be amped. I found that they mate well with my Total Bithead (which for $150 US also has a DAC and good crossfeed circuit and 2 outlets for headphones). I'd recommend the Total Bithead without reservations.

Cheers!

P.S. I have a pair of Sennheiser HD 595 and I'd just run off the soundcard. For my ipod clone, I'd use an amp if I didn't mind carting it around (Total Bithead or Decware Zen Head). My 9 year old has liberated my 595's and uses them unamped. I'm playing with the DT 770's and often use my Grado 325i as my everyday can at home. (Since I have a couple decent amps, I use them--for real portable use, I might use my Fii0 with Yuin PK1's).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back