Sennheiser HD 580 Cable is TOO LONG!
Mar 6, 2007 at 2:57 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

EvilGnome6

New Head-Fier
I just got a Sennheiser HD 580 last night and I'm loving it. Only problem is that cable is just too freakin' long. What have other Head-Fiers done to solve this problem?

Mar 6, 2007 at 3:50 PM Post #2 of 11
The cheapest route is the cost of a single rubber band or cable tie. Shorten the length by wrapping the cable and then tying it.

If you're a DIY type, cut the cable to your desired length and reterminate it.

Otherwise, buy an aftermarket cable of your desired length. I believe most aftermarket cables are offered from 3' and up. Moon Audio, Stefan AudioArt, TTVJ, and Headroom all sell Sennheiser replacement cables. They're all Head-Fi sponsors so their URLs are at the top or bottom of this web page.

Mar 6, 2007 at 3:56 PM Post #3 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by socrates63 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you're a DIY type, cut the cable to your desired length and reterminate it.

I'm thinking about taking this route. Has anyone posted a how-to? I've searched several times but couldn't find one.

Mar 6, 2007 at 4:09 PM Post #5 of 11
buy an extra cable just in case you mess up or don't like the length after all. a pair of wire cutters/strippers will get you through most of it. otherwise don't mess with the cable at all

Mar 6, 2007 at 4:29 PM Post #6 of 11
Just use a rubber band. The stock cable is so thin and flexible I don't see how coiling it to your preference could be a problem.

Mar 6, 2007 at 4:32 PM Post #7 of 11
you could get an HD650 cable for $15, and cut/re-terminate that. You'd be getting a nice cable upgrade at the same time.

Mar 6, 2007 at 4:33 PM Post #8 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ahriman4891 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just use a rubber band. The stock cable is so thin and flexible I don't see how coiling it to your preference could be a problem.

Since I use it at my desk with the headphone amp about 3 feet away from my head, I end up with 7 feet of cable wrapped up. It's bulky and annoying. I miss the coiled cable on my Beyer DT250-80
frown.gif

Mar 6, 2007 at 4:42 PM Post #9 of 11
OK... So I'm listening to Roger Waters - The Pros and Cons of Hitch Hiking and about halfway through 5.01 AM there's this wooshing sound that goes from left to right. I actually looked up to see what it was before I realized that it was part of the song. Sweet!
eggosmile.gif

Mar 6, 2007 at 6:03 PM Post #10 of 11
When I sit here at my desk with all that extra cable just hanging around just waiting to get tangled up and damaged and I'm feeling really depressed and bummed out, I just hook it up to my main system through the almost-too-short extension cable and listen to tunes or watch a DVD in my comfortable listening chair and all is cool!

....for about ten minutes until someone else wants the main system, and chases me back to my computer desk and CD player.

But at least I get a few moments to actually appreciate a longer headphone cable!
600smile.gif

Mar 6, 2007 at 6:52 PM Post #11 of 11
I personally like long cables. Hated them at first but I've come to appreciate the extra cable length when I'm lying in my bed listening to tunes.
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back