Sennheiser HD 580 bad...Beyer DT 831 good!
Aug 25, 2002 at 12:48 AM Post #17 of 27
I got to hear the HD 600s at Hirsch's headphone extavaganza (there were at least three pairs floating around!) today. I was expecting something muffled and dull from reading these threads... but they were awesome! They were plenty bright and the bass sounded so natural and smooth and everything else sounded so realistic. Just my two cents worth, as they say!
biggrin.gif

By the way, Hirsch's headphone extravaganza was dazzling! Thanks Hirsch!

Aug 25, 2002 at 7:29 AM Post #19 of 27
Quote:

Originally posted by blr
muffled-I don't know perhaps your 580s are damaged or your hearing has a roll off at the high end.

Everyones hearing has a roll off in the high and low end. And the mids are accentuated.

But back on topic. I love my 831's. No simpler way of putting it. They are like crystal. I dont find the highs accentuated at all, they are clean, crisp and very clear. This is the way headphones should sound
wink.gif

Each instrument is very well produced and not hard at all to pick out in the mix. Which is invaluable in my profession. Im keen to hear some high end cans. Such as the Rs1's, Mdr10's and ATHW100's. But as for right now the 831's are in my opinion the perfect headphone.

Aug 25, 2002 at 8:51 AM Post #20 of 27
These threads should serve to remind us all that each of us hears differently, and that depending on the equipment you have, a turd of a headphone can become a sweet flower, and vice versa. Also, remember that the type of music you prefer will also bear heavily on what headphones you like.

P.S. Nice avatar Poddy. Did you see them when they went to Oz earlier this year?

Aug 25, 2002 at 12:24 PM Post #21 of 27
Thanks Poddy, and all the other true believers for backing me up.

It's time for us all to come out blinking into the light and be counted!

To give you an example of the difference between my old Senn 580's and the Beyer DT831's, I would sometimes fall asleep while wearing the Senns (which is fine if you WANT to fall asleep), but with the Beyers I'm WIDE AWAKE.
biggrin.gif

And by the way, regarding my nic, I'm not really deaf, It's what we in our country like to technically call a JOKE....thats right, J-O-K-E. But I'm glad it's given some of the wags here a moment of joy.

Come to think of it, if I WAS deaf this would be a MUCH cheaper hobby.
biggrin.gif

Aug 25, 2002 at 12:31 PM Post #22 of 27
Quote:

Originally posted by tone-def
Come to think of it, if I WAS deaf this would be a MUCH cheaper hobby.
biggrin.gif

Yes, then you could just get the Philips HP890 and never have to come here again.

smily_headphones1.gif
<--------a tone-deaf person enjoying the HP890

Aug 25, 2002 at 4:53 PM Post #23 of 27
since A&M hasn't posted in this thread, I'll tackle his position.

Get a replacement cable and a powerful amp before you say senns are muffled.

Either way, you aren't the only one who prefers Beyer to Senn... Jan's the same way.

Aug 26, 2002 at 12:18 AM Post #24 of 27
GFriends,

I think the tide is turning. More and more people are coming to realize that the 580/600's are over-rated at best. They are not bad but they are nothing to get real excited about either. I've now tried them with every cable I know of and a great amp but they still sound like they were built for the old folks down at the rest home.

I haven't tried the Beyers yet but I look forward to it soon.

Until then my personal favorites are the HD590 w/Stefan Arts cable and the Grado 225.

Oct 6, 2002 at 7:44 PM Post #25 of 27
It really depends on the ear anatomically. I am not going to go into it or anything, as that should be left to those with PhDs in the field; however, I believe that to each person their own. Some people will find the Sennheisers to be great for them, and some will think of them as trash and believe that Beyers are the only way to go. Personally, I am a Beyer fan and I own the DT770s. Go Beyer!

Oct 6, 2002 at 9:22 PM Post #26 of 27
I would hate to have to choose between these two headphones. I really like them both, and can pick up either pair and have an enjoyable listen. The Beyers certainly have accentuated highs relative to the Sens, but the payback is wonderful detail.

I find the bass from the 831s to be quite impressive, and am surprised by comments that imply a gross lack of bass. Not true in my experience, and I am a bit of a bass-head in one respect: it must be there! I have noticed that the Beyers thin out if not used frequently. It takes a couple of hours of playing for them to come back. Odd effect, which I have never noticed on other phones.

gerG

Oct 7, 2002 at 3:26 AM Post #27 of 27
HI all
frown.gif
They still sound like they were built for the old folks down at the rest home.) Yes sir ree us old folk at the rest home are very grateful for the somewhat laid back sound of the 580s. We all have bad hearts and other problems so we need to hear it easy and the 580s are our cup of tea. Now just hold on there whipper snapper some of use old tough folks got the equinox replacement cable and even cut quarter size holes in the 580 pads to give us more up front sound and to hurray our demise with all the sound that we are now getting from the 580s far from laid back. I even know of a old-timer who got an Max-Out META42 to go with the equinox cable and 580s with the cut holes in the pads. So you better watch out for us old folk down on the rest home. We just might be hearing stuff a lot better than you young soon to be old rest home folks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back