Sennheiser HD-580 advice
Apr 10, 2006 at 5:25 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Eagleboy

100+ Head-Fier
Hi all - I've been browsing the forums for about a week looking for information on upgrading my headphones.

I came into a pair of Pioneer SE-DIR800C wireless cans, and sold them for headphone cash and extra cash on eBay. I have ~$220 left. After reading the forums, I decided on the Sennheiser HD-580's. How much is the approximate street value for a used pair of 580's? Ebay shows very varying prices...

I called Sennheiser USA's spare parts line today, to confirm that you can't buy the HD-600 grills anymore. They quoted $37.50 EACH for HD-650 grills. Disguisting! Is there any company that still sells the 600 grills or that makes a better looking grill for the 580 than what comes stock on it?

Also, currently I am running HD-515's. I am quite partial to the one-sided cable setup, and am wondering if there's any way to convert the 580's to a one-sided setup, and if there are any reasons why the higher-end cans tend to have cable-per-side.

As for amplification, I'll be running the HD-580's through a Headroom Total Bithead amp (got it for free... would be using something else if I had to pay for it).

Thanks!
-Tom

Apr 10, 2006 at 5:28 PM Post #2 of 4
Around $100-120 or so would seem to be reasonable for an HD 580 in good condition, since new ones are $160-$200.

I can't think of any standard ways to convert the cable to one-sided. I also don't think it makes a difference...high-end phones vary in choosing one or the other, and both work fine. Having a two-sided cable presumably allows for easier servicing, since there is no internal wiring in the headband.

Apr 10, 2006 at 6:52 PM Post #4 of 4
Quote:

Originally Posted by OceanEnthusiast
you may consider buying them new. J&R has them for $150, you may even find them for cheaper.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...559461-1050551

Hmm... with free shipping to boot as well. I might have to go the new route!

However, I love buying used - if I don't like something, I can always turn around and sell it for around what I paid for it. "Free trial" in a way.

But for $150 with no shipping costs, I might have to go this way. I like eBay, but sometimes it's nice to be able to bypass the risks and everything.

Thanks for the link!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back