Sennheiser HD 4x8 and HD 4x9 - Who knows them better; Sennheiser or Headroom?
Jun 18, 2012 at 4:25 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Sputtid

New Head-Fier
 I was looking for a cheap portable headphone I could pick up from an electronics store nearby. I decided on a pair of Senn's HD 428 mainly because I really liked the HD 448's sound, and according to Headroom's frequency response measurements the 428 and 448 are exactly the same, with the HD 438 being the odd one out sporting much more emphasized bass.
 When I finally decided to go to the store I was surprised to see that the 4x8 range has been replaced with the 4x9s. It turned out that - according to one of Sennheiser's Facebook responses - the 448 and 449 are the same besides housing. Now I only had to learn whether the 428 and 429 are the same too so I could pick up the latter instead of the former. To find out I sent an e-mail to the company that imports Sennheiser's into my country. They told me that the two headphones are exactly the same. They even added that the upgrade took place only to combat fakes.
 Yet headroom's frequency response graphs paint a different picture, have a look. According to them the 428 and 448 are similar just like 429 and 449 but the two pairs are vastly different from each other when it comes to bass, with the updated headphones having a curve resembling that of the HD 438 and 439.
 So help me out Head-Fi! Who should I believe; Headroom or the manufacturer? Is it possible that that there is an error in Headroom's measurements? And by looking at the graphs - or based on listening experience if there is any - could you tell me if the 429 and 449 are better SQ wise than their predecessors? Note that I don't have a chance to listen to them before chosing.
Thanks in advance!

Jun 18, 2012 at 4:50 PM Post #2 of 7
I would trust the Manu first.

But, I would also (if possible) buy from a seller with a 30 day return policy.

Just my two cents, Jim

Jun 19, 2012 at 5:08 AM Post #3 of 7
Thanks, I'm leaning towards the manufacturer too, but the graphs show such a big difference...
Another problem is, we have no shops with that kind of return policy around here.

Any portable Sennheiser aficionado out there?

Jun 19, 2012 at 5:40 AM Post #5 of 7
Yeah, I know but I'm just not comfortable with them when it comes to audio equipment.
Had too many bad experiences with warranty claims.
Truth is, Hungarian businesses in general lack healthy consumer services and buying from an international seller is not an option.
In a shop I can at least kick their physically present arse if they try to rip me off.

Jun 21, 2012 at 1:04 PM Post #6 of 7
I bit the bullet and bought the 429. The 428 was still on display and I had a chance to listen to them. After checking out the 429 at home, my impression is that they indeed sound very similar.

Dec 11, 2012 at 11:23 PM Post #7 of 7
Quote:
I bit the bullet and bought the 429. The 428 was still on display and I had a chance to listen to them. After checking out the 429 at home, my impression is that they indeed sound very similar.

I know this is old, but maybe headroom graphed a fake :wink: hahaha

Users who are viewing this thread

Back