Sennheiser HD 485 - a masterpiece for free!
Sep 14, 2009 at 2:44 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

Jack Mono

100+ Head-Fier
I went to J&R yesterday (a huge electronics store in Manhattan) and they had a wall with practically all headphones to listen to. Man, the Senn HD 485 is just pales most of them. I wasn't impressed with the Senn 500 series. I liked the Grado 225, however that is $200 and the HD 485 is $65. The Grado 60 was not on par. The Sony 700 is a joke for bassheads. It is a no brainer! Seriously, for $65, the HD 485 is a masterpiece for free! And 32 Ohm! The Koss Portapro is 60 Ohms. I was surprised there. They had AKGs and Beyers on the wall too. This later sounded very flat (true) but hey, who uses that for enjoying music anyway.

All in all, I stand stupified in front of such a low price tag. The phones certainly don't sound like $65 headphones. There must be a huge overstock of these at Sennheiser or the design is nor so appealing for sales, but I haven't heard anything better under $200 on that wall of headphones.

Sep 14, 2009 at 5:41 PM Post #2 of 14
I am glad you enjoy them but how exactly is it a masterpiece for free if you paid $65?
biggrin.gif

Sep 14, 2009 at 6:01 PM Post #3 of 14
perhaps he meant "practically for free", thoug $65 is still a relatively significant fund.

by the way, they're $89 at J&R online. maybe they had an overstock. you lucked out! wish i was there.

Sep 16, 2009 at 5:48 AM Post #4 of 14
It is 65 in the store... + tax... and yes, I meant, that for $65 it is a steal. Nothing come close to it even for double the price... I couldn't call BS if it costs $200... For $65 anyone can get into real good SQ

Sep 16, 2009 at 10:41 AM Post #8 of 14
They are nice phones, comfortable too and very reasonably priced; I bought them after I compared them to the HD595, I strongly preferred the fun-sound of the HD485.

Sep 16, 2009 at 11:00 AM Post #9 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by stuge(original) /img/forum/go_quote.gif
C'mon if you come to my country than you will understand $65 is a quite huge amount to be spend on headphones .People here don't wanna spend more than $10-15(thats expensive for them)

Hey,we are from the same country mate and i felt so bad when i bought my first ear phone pair for 15$
biggrin.gif
, but that was an year back.

BTW i see Bayers in your signature , did u get it from anywhere in india?I heard we have at and bayer dealers in india?Is that true.

Sep 16, 2009 at 11:41 AM Post #10 of 14
I have a HD465 at home and all i can say about them ... i hate them.
The sound is all blend together, the bass completely takes over the music, this sound like a mashed sound, i cant even listen them for one track.
k701smile.gif

Also the comfort is bad.

They are just not for me i guess.

IMHO take with caution.

Sep 16, 2009 at 3:11 PM Post #11 of 14
Dude, we are talking about the 485, not the 465! Those numbers are a bitch I know! The 485 is crazy comfortable as it is circumaural which the 465 isn't! The sound I won't comment, the 485 is a completely different set! It is like saying: Paris looks horrible, all deserty and full of rednecks... oh, yeah, Paris, Texas.

I see how $65 is a lot of money in India. All I can say, the HD 485 is worth to save for... and as you don't have a lot to spend, that should be your pick right there! It can be had refurbushed in the States for 54$... they send world wide too... some computerpart store in NY... I could look it up.

Sep 16, 2009 at 5:14 PM Post #12 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jack Mono /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Dude, we are talking about the 485, not the 465! Those numbers are a bitch I know! The 485 is crazy comfortable as it is circumaural which the 465 isn't! The sound I won't comment, the 485 is a completely different set! It is like saying: Paris looks horrible, all deserty and full of rednecks... oh, yeah, Paris, Texas.

I see how $65 is a lot of money in India. All I can say, the HD 485 is worth to save for... and as you don't have a lot to spend, that should be your pick right there! It can be had refurbushed in the States for 54$... they send world wide too... some computerpart store in NY... I could look it up.

The 485 and 465 are the exact same frame in different colors (Silver vs. Black). So the comfort is identical. They do have different drivers though. (The 485 uses the same driver as the PX100 portable.)

I used HD485's as my main phones for over a year. They are definitely basshead phones, but if you don't mind the bass bump they do have pretty good detail. I personally wouldn't put them in the same league as Grado 225's though (I own both, and would never choose the 485's over the 225's). I'd put them on par with the Grado SR80's, which sell for $89.

Sep 16, 2009 at 9:33 PM Post #13 of 14
Honeslty, my HD485 weren't embarrassed to be in the same locker room with my SR225i. They held up really well, especially for the price.

Sep 16, 2009 at 10:49 PM Post #14 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by LingLing1337 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Honeslty, my HD485 weren't embarrassed to be in the same locker room with my SR225i. They held up really well, especially for the price.

Ha! that's a way of putting it.

I'm seriously considering buying a refurb pair to keep my SR225i company.

well, actually a pair for my brother. at least, that's what i'm saying.
tongue.gif

Is purchasing refurb sennheiser products safe?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back