sennheiser HD 449 Vs Audio terchnica ATH Ad 500,700
May 8, 2012 at 9:32 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Arana

New Head-Fier
Hi.
I will soon be able to get the hd 449 or ath ad500 at the same reasonable price. Although both boast a great sound stage and good highs and mids im confused on which to buy. This is 'cause the MRP of ath ad500 is more than hd 449, but it has had mixed reviews and i feel like it has to be expensive for a reason. so which would you reccomend and why?
thanks

May 8, 2012 at 10:23 AM Post #2 of 10
Quote:
Hi.
I will soon be able to get the hd 449 or ath ad500 at the same reasonable price. Although both boast a great sound stage and good highs and mids I'm confused on which to buy. This is 'cause the MRP of ATH-AD500 is more than HD 449, but it has had mixed reviews and i feel like it has to be expensive for a reason. so which would you recomend and why?
thanks

Samson SR850 or Superlux HD668B, both semi-open.

May 9, 2012 at 9:17 AM Post #4 of 10
I've got the HD448, which is sonically the same as the HD449.
I don't know where you got the idea they bost a good sound stage. The highs are nothing special, they're quite boring really.
The mids are what this can has going for it. If you like your mids, get the HD449, if you like the other ends of the sound range, I don't know.
I've been fiddling around with mine a little lately, one has cotton and the other plasticine, as well as the "bass tape" removed.
If you're a basshead, look elsewhere, as these cans just can't produce audiophile bass, they can sound like "fat subwoofers" though.
Also, they don't isolate very well and have little to no clamping force, although they're light and manage to stay on your head.

May 9, 2012 at 11:03 PM Post #5 of 10
The HD 449 is better than the HD 448 , if you are into audio clarity the sennheiser is the way. also the HD 449 has more balance (handles almost any genre thrown at it) . the ath a700 is not balanced and bass can be overwhelming.

May 10, 2012 at 5:45 AM Post #7 of 10
Quote:
The HD 449 is better than the HD 448 , if you are into audio clarity the sennheiser is the way. also the HD 449 has more balance (handles almost any genre thrown at it) . the ath a700 is not balanced and bass can be overwhelming.

well thats actually good news because im more into bass than balanced music.  

May 14, 2012 at 11:30 PM Post #8 of 10
Quote:
Hmmm, I guess official Sennheiser statements of using the same driver and them being sonically the same are wrong and you're right..

Yup 
tongue_smile.gif
 , same driver with tweaks , you remember the sennheiser hd 555 had the same driver as the hd 595 ? yet they sound different. also you could mod the hd 555 to a hd 595 , search the forums here or look on youtube and you will see it 
cool.gif

May 23, 2012 at 10:48 PM Post #10 of 10
 "if you are into audio clarity the sennheiser is the way."
isn't that too subjective? i tried senns and sonys but then shures made me believe in clarity

Users who are viewing this thread

Back