Sennheiser HD 449 dissapointing
Oct 17, 2013 at 7:30 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

davidbcn82

New Head-Fier
Hi to all. This is my first message in the forum. I came here looking for opinions about what I bought; answers to my questions about how a more expensive h-ph (is the abreviation you use?) could sound worse than a cheaper one.

See my opinion here: http://www.head-fi.org/products/sennheiser-hd-449-headphones/reviews/9749

This week I work many of the time out, but I left the computer with a long playlist of different styles of  music to do a break-in, and my wife pauses-resumes several times each day (to let components rest). 
Tomorrow will test some songs I use to listen, to see if the highs don't hurt my ears, but I am almost sure I will return them, because I want to hear the bass, and the 449 seems to fault on that.

This message is a mix of opinion and suggestion of what to buy (if there is something better around this budget, $100-150, mainly bass for trance music, and short cable, to put a volume control in the middle and not going with 1 mile of cable hanging from the sofa). But it's difficult to ask in this forum considering that I want to buy phisically in Barcelona, like in Fnac, El Corte Ingles and these big shops, in case I want to return (again), and perhaps the model you recommend is not in the shop (or in their web). I could never imagine that there could be that differences in sound between models.

Oct 17, 2013 at 8:09 AM Post #2 of 7
Return those if you're not happy with the sound and ask in this forum
http://www.auriculares.org/foro/

You could get good deals at the "compraventa" 

But honestly, online you'll find best prices and choices. No FNAC, and especially not the 7plantas Corte Ingles in Barcelona will be selling hi quality headhones. Be aware you might not find the same headphones people could propose here in your area.    

Oct 18, 2013 at 6:42 AM Post #3 of 7
Thank you, squallkiercosa.

As you could reas in the review, some complain about Youtube music quality. The only thing I know is that my simple wireless-FM philips have a very charm bass (among the simple overall quality), while the HD499 sound like empty, like those chinese computer speakers of the size of a tennis ball that create that sharp acute sound like when you scratck a plate with the fork... well, I am exxagerating, but it's to show my disapointment and that you understand me.

To simplify: you have to raise the music volume to feel the bass vibrate inside your head, and then the high freqs annoy.

Shops like Fnac, el corte ingles and so perhaps are not super-specialized, but there can be nice things for average price; tomorrow I'll take my mpw and hope that the ambient sound let me try some of them.
Online? I buy many things online, but this particular thing I want to do all right and I'll not start a "try-return-try another" maze. It's like clothing, I don't buy it online.
I wanted to buy a good cable ones because I'm fed up to carry the tablet up and down my home plugging the FM transmitter in every room I stay. If it only existed a wireless nano-transmitter really portable...

Oct 18, 2013 at 12:50 PM Post #5 of 7
  Anything below the HD600 are pretty mediocre from sennheiser

HD 25? HD 598? Momentum? etc.
You might get hell for that one...
very_evil_smiley.gif

At least, you have the balls to express your opinion...
biggrin.gif

"Anything above the HD600 are pretty mediocre from sennheiser" may have been safer
biggrin.gif

Sep 8, 2016 at 4:31 AM Post #7 of 7
I`ve bought one HD 449 yesterday and I got, what I wanted.
Sound is very similar to Koss Porta Pro: Small amount of heights, nice warmer mids and more bass. Relatively narrow soundstage. 
This headphones ARE for everyday listening of every genre. Does not hurt your ears by pressure or sharp sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back