Sennheiser HD 380 Pro cable options
Mar 18, 2012 at 3:24 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 59

reticon

Head-Fier
Best money I've ever spent on headphones and my ears are in heaven, but I hate this cable! Has anyone changed the cable on your HD 380 Pro? This thing is heavy! A non coily cable would rule. I worry if I am not super careful I could damage the jack on either my laptop or iPod ya know? Thanks in advance for any help!

Apr 7, 2012 at 12:58 AM Post #4 of 59
That looks like a 2.5mm plug on the headphone end.  You will probably have to build your own or have some DIY'er build one.  Judging by its bulkiness, the Radioshack 2.5mm right-angle plug should do with a little sanding down of its casing.
Edit: I mean that the plug that I am recommending should be suitable for the cable if you build it yourself.

Apr 7, 2012 at 12:01 PM Post #5 of 59

Quote:
That looks like a 2.5mm plug on the headphone end.  You will probably have to build your own or have some DIY'er build one.  Judging by its bulkiness, the Radioshack 2.5mm right-angle plug should do with a little sanding down of its casing.
Edit: I mean that the plug that I am recommending should be suitable for the cable if you build it yourself.

Where could I find some DIY people that would make me one? Or I guess another question, is it just a matter or soldering?I use old school ledded solder in the guitar amplifiers I build, and guitars I wire up, but the cables I use (Evidence) use special oxygen free this and that, silver solder, etc. I don't have any of that stuff, so not sure if I should make it myself.

Apr 7, 2012 at 12:59 PM Post #6 of 59
Quote:
Where could I find some DIY people that would make me one? Or I guess another question, is it just a matter or soldering?I use old school ledded solder in the guitar amplifiers I build, and guitars I wire up, but the cables I use (Evidence) use special oxygen free this and that, silver solder, etc. I don't have any of that stuff, so not sure if I should make it myself.

I use leaded solder as well.  Radioshack 2% silver, WBT 4% silver, or Cardas quad eutectic silver solder will do.  Order some Mogami 2893 microphone cable and solder the 2.5mm plug on one end and a Rean/Neutrik NYS231BG plug on the other.  If you do not mind spending a bit more, I recommend the Switchcraft 35HDBAU plug instead, it rules.  If you want a 1/4" plug instead, there's the Neutrik NP3XB.  There are guides on these forums on builing cables, complete with pics, and I'll bet you'll find video guides on youtube as well.

Apr 8, 2012 at 2:00 PM Post #7 of 59

Quote:

I use leaded solder as well.  Radioshack 2% silver, WBT 4% silver, or Cardas quad eutectic silver solder will do.  Order some Mogami 2893 microphone cable and solder the 2.5mm plug on one end and a Rean/Neutrik NYS231BG plug on the other.  If you do not mind spending a bit more, I recommend the Switchcraft 35HDBAU plug instead, it rules.  If you want a 1/4" plug instead, there's the Neutrik NP3XB.  There are guides on these forums on builing cables, complete with pics, and I'll bet you'll find video guides on youtube as well.

Wow! Thanks so much man, I can totally do the above. You rock! :D

Apr 24, 2012 at 12:17 AM Post #8 of 59
Why not use something like this?

Would that work?

Of course, it would be held in place only by friction but it's my understanding that the HD 380's cable snaps into place rather than screws.

I would've suggested using a HD 518 replacement cable since it starts as a 2.5mm male jack but I don't know if Sennheiser sells it. It sure doesn't show up here.

May 13, 2012 at 5:33 PM Post #10 of 59
I ended up keeping them. They are my favorite headphones. I bought many others in the $500 and under range, but returned them all. For my needs and sources (laptop, samsung tablet) these can't be beat. I love their sound, so I just deal with the cable.

I briefly had a pair of Beyerdynamic DT-880's as well with a straight cord, and for what it's worth... it was like 11 ft long and even more annoying. I can honestly say coily cable is better than 11ft of straight cable going everywhere when the laptop is on my lap or my tablet is in my pocket.

On the go I'll use my beyerdynamic dt-1350, I highly recommend those if you like the sound of the HD 380 pro's. The DT-1350's have a neutral sound with lovely mids, but they can't push that sub low bass like the HD 380 pro's can.

May 28, 2012 at 4:07 PM Post #11 of 59
Hi reticon,

I just bought this 380 pro headphones and I love the headphones but similarly ...don't like the coiled cable... I wish it was a straight cable. Anyhow, I tried lots and lots of closed back headphone pairs and did trial and error and ended up returning them because they didn't couldn't come close to the sound quality of 380 pros.

So, I also had open back Sennheiser 598 to compare how the closed back vs open back sound. I returned them because I don't need open back as of now. Anyhow, the point is that I was curious if the straight cable that came with 598 worked with 380 pros.... and it did...  only thing is it's not angled (as you see the cable that is attached in the left ear cup of the 380 pros) so you will have that little empty space remaining instead of that hole being completely filled but the wire fits perfectly.  I was thinking of buying an extra straight cable of Sennheiser hd 598 to use for 380 pros.  :) 

What solution did you come up with?

Jun 8, 2012 at 4:49 AM Post #14 of 59
P5 HEADPHONES ACCESSORIES ZZ25453  
P5 BLACK STANDARD AUDIO CABLE​
$17.38  
P5 HEADPHONES ACCESSORIES ZZ26441  
P5 IVORY MFI REMOTE CABLE​
$22.78  
P5 HEADPHONES ACCESSORIES ZZ26468  
P5 IVORY STANDARD AUDIO CABLE​
$9.20  
P5 HEADPHONES ACCESSORIES ZZ26611 ZZ25844
P5 BLACK MFI REMOTE CABLE​
$24.25  

MFI = the cable with inline iPhone/iPod remote and microphone.
Standard = the clean straight cable.

The only difference between these cables is the very small remote/mic, they have the same length and thickness.

Jun 8, 2012 at 4:51 PM Post #15 of 59
Go to http://btg-audio.webs.com/

Fair prices, quality product and he'll give you EXACTLY what you want 

Any length, any jack, removable/not removable, single sided, dual sided.. anything you can think of.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back