Sennheiser HD 280 Pro - Replace cord or just replace headphones?
Nov 7, 2010 at 8:41 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

MiEsAmericano

New Head-Fier
Hey,

I bought a pair of Sennheiser HD 280 pros about a year and a half ago. The padding got worn out and the cord got a bit loosened up, but so far they've been a durable and reliable way to listen to music. They're the first pair of headphones I ever really went out of my way to spend a lot of money and do a lot of research on, and I'm glad that I bought them.

Part of the reason why I bought them to begin with was because I've heard great things in regards to the quality for the money (~$100) and the fact that the cord is supposed to be able to be replaced. Unfortunately, after months of bringing my headphones with me nearly everywhere I go, getting tossed around in my bag and being lent to my roommate and friends at the campus radio station, the sound quality has begun to deteriorate. When I adjust the angle of the cord in my ipod, the sound quality variates- I'm sure the cable is the problem. Sometimes the sound is really tinny, sometimes it's only in one channel, and most of the time it makes listening to music unpleasant to the point where I'd really just rather not. I can't seem to find any place to buy a cable for what I'd consdier a reasonable price for a headphone cable- sennheiser's website has them for $30 before shipping. After shipping, I'd have spent 1/3 of the cost of the headphones to simply repair them! And the purchase of the replacement cable will have been worthless if I botch up the process of replacing the cable. Although it's detailed in the manual, it seems like more than a simple process of just pulling out the old cable and throwing in the new one.

Anyone who's replaced sennheiser hd 280 pro cables before... I have a few questions.

Where did you buy your cable, and how much did you pay for it?

Was the process simple?

Alternatively, I could save up some money, use my hd 280 pros as a backup or emergency pair, and put the $30 I would have spent on a cable towards new headphones. Does the head fi community have any suggestions for an upgrade from this pair? I'm looking for something with similar durability, but if I could find a model with more ease of use in replacing a cable, that would be cool.

Thanks for the help!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back