Sennheiser HD 280 Pro coming my way
Mar 29, 2009 at 10:03 PM Post #16 of 51
That's a very interesting suggestion, JVC RX700. I like JVC products in general.

Now I don't get the complete idea. The exact opposite of the HD 280? In which regards. In terms of accuracy or flat response? The both are closed.

I am a bargain geek. I love good quality for little cash. Who doesn't.

Maybe you can provide a few more descriptive details. They look very comfy. I might just jump on one of those.
happy_face1.gif

Mar 30, 2009 at 12:30 AM Post #17 of 51
Yes, you're right, they're both closed, so in that regard they're similar. But their sound signatures are opposite, I think. The 280s are very flat and detailed, sometimes grainy, but this is why sound engineers like them I suppose. The RX700 are colored in that they have very strong bass, and laid back mids and highs. They are very easy to listen to and why they seem to more popular with casual listeners. They're much more dynamic and impactful. The fit is not as tight so they don't isolate as well, but I find them sufficient and I think it also makes them more comfortable than the 280s, but some people like the tight fit.

There's a very long thread here if you care to know more: http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/jvc...i-nuts-375575/

Mar 30, 2009 at 1:29 AM Post #18 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr Machine /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi All!

New to the forum, yet a life long 'Head-Fier'.

I am sure the thread title will tickle most of you to a mere "yawn", but I feel happy like a school boy, back when I got my first Senns, nearly 40 years ago.

I have been dwelling on a pair of HD 500's the last 10 years and they have been very satisfying and provided sustained quality for all my listing excursions.
They still work fantastic; I just ordered a set of replacement ear cushions to make them look nice again. So, those will remain around in the future.

I felt like I wanted a different sound picture for a change.

It would be hard to make me sway from the Sennheiser brand, so I did some reading on a variety of headphones out there.

I thought isolation would be great. Nice tight fit and a brilliant uncolored sound picture with a snug response throughout the spectrum.

I know they don’t look like the very latest in design, but neither do I.

I plan to use them on my SWR Bass Combo to monitor myself playing. The HD 500 doesn’t quite respond snug enough not to say sluggish.

Also, I want to use those HD280’s with my Sony 505 ES Amp and a variety of other audio sources.

I read about the long burn in time. I think there is a lot to it. I anticipate maturity of those kind of headphones to be after several thousands of hours.

Budget always plays a role, as with all other things in life, so the price of $86 was a strong consideration.

I came across a few “Nay” Sayers on the HD280, that’s fine, all ears are different.

But, I would really like to hear from those who are happy with their 280’s and want to share a bit of their experience with them.

Thanks

Gratz on your decision.

But SEVERAL THOUSAND hours of burn in? Yeah had to rofl at that.

But seriously, have a great time for your monitoring purposes.

Mar 30, 2009 at 5:01 AM Post #19 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by mbd2884 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Gratz on your decision.

But SEVERAL THOUSAND hours of burn in? Yeah had to rofl at that.

But seriously, have a great time for your monitoring purposes.

Thanks for the Gratz! That's what I need to hear to get through until April 2nd, which is the estimated delivery time for my new ear covers.

Well, yeah, I consent, "several thousand hours"sounds a little outlandish. I don't know how I got there, esp. since I haven't even received the hp's yet.
It's easy to get carried away with so many opinions and reviews, 200, 500, 1k, 2k ...

But here is what I have experienced:

Those HD 280's will be the 3rd set of headphones I owned in my life. Besides a set of Sony's which I use at the gym and the countless throw-aways that come with the purchase of various portables.
The first set of Sennheisers I had at age 13, when I was just starting my vinly collection. To make the long story short, at first I was very disappointed by its looks and their sound (early 70's light weight open), but after short, they advanced to become among one of the most exciting parts of my daily in and outs.
At this point, I don't know what happened to them, it's simply too long ago. But I know for sure that I used them for no less then a decade and then probably retired, because I was on the road too much without any need for hp's.

The 2nd set I aquired are the HD 500's, which I still have right here, since 10 years. I now can't look at the completely desintegrated cushions anymore, so I ordered replacements. I should have done that 5 years ago already.
Other than that, they are just perfect, like a well worn in pair of quality boots or jeans.

That's where the 1000's of hours meet maturity and items like my headphones become a very close part of myself.

I like to think of those HD 280's as of another lifetime investment. I am sure you are with me on this one.
wink_face.gif

Mar 30, 2009 at 5:19 AM Post #20 of 51
The 280s were my first "expensive" and full-headphone purchase. I was really pleased with them. The isolation really is fantastic. Bass is usually sufficient and smooth (extends pretty low) but can be a bit punchy at times depending on the source and the song of course. Overall a neutral sound. I haven't had any probs with a "fragile" head band. Yes it is quite snug at first but it's necessary for isolation. Plus it'll be more forgiving after some wear. I kinda like the rugged design.

I'm sure you won't be disappointed.
FYI I have moved onto the Hd555s. Can't say I miss my 280s but they were great when they were my primary 'phones.

Mar 30, 2009 at 5:27 AM Post #21 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by Voohoo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The 280s were my first "expensive" and full-headphone purchase. I was really pleased with them. The isolation really is fantastic. Bass is usually sufficient and smooth (extends pretty low) but can be a bit punchy at times depending on the source and the song of course. Overall a neutral sound. I haven't had any probs with a "fragile" head band. Yes it is quite snug at first but it's necessary for isolation. Plus it'll be more forgiving after some wear. I kinda like the rugged design.

I'm sure you won't be disappointed.
FYI I have moved onto the Hd555s. Can't say I miss my 280s but they were great when they were my primary 'phones.

That's very stimulating as well. I like "punchy and neutral" definitions. That's what I need. Alltogether just alittle more agressive than my HD 500's. I need something that really roars at me
atsmile.gif

Yeah, I am also considering the HD555 for the advanced future, maybe for movies, all around music, for my girlfriend or when I need a break from the 280's.

Mar 30, 2009 at 1:46 PM Post #22 of 51
I really like mine. They don't sound quite as natural as my AKGs, but that's only noticeable in direct A/B comparisons.

Mar 30, 2009 at 2:36 PM Post #23 of 51
I myself am a fan of the detailed sound. I can't really see this as being a negative aspect. The main complaints I've heard is: too analytical, lack of character; uncomfortable. The latter may be remedied after a couple hundred hours of use, and the sound will definitely improve as well.

Also, many people popped the Beyerdynamic (DT250?) velour pads on their HD280s for extra comfort. I'm on the fence about this mod, as I think they're both comfortable, but the velour is better for extended periods of use, at the expense of some isolation. You might also see this will slightly change the sound signature. And you may want to pick up some sticky tack/blu-tak for that mod -- search for it.

Also, thanks for the heads up, Mr Machine. I had no idea they did a 380 Pro. That may be my next headphone upgrade. I've been considering going back to A900s, but I really like what I'm getting from the HD280s.

Mar 30, 2009 at 6:12 PM Post #25 of 51
I think you will be happy with them. I like mine very much, there's really nothing to complain about at this price point. As others have said, they isolate very well, the discomfort, I think, is exaggerated - I use them for hours and consider them to be quite comfortable. They are detailed and the bass extends low and is tight. I don't really think there is lack of it as other people say, but YMMV
smily_headphones1.gif
You can always do the blue tack mod later.

@ Rex81: Heh, you really like your RX700, you recommend them wherever you go
smily_headphones1.gif
I should try them - it can hardly be a disappointment at that price
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 30, 2009 at 6:15 PM Post #26 of 51
Enjoy the 280s! I like mine, especially if I just feel like playing around with an equalizer. Just don't tell Duggeh.
wink.gif

Mar 30, 2009 at 7:34 PM Post #27 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by koshman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
@ Rex81: Heh, you really like your RX700, you recommend them wherever you go
smily_headphones1.gif
I should try them - it can hardly be a disappointment at that price
smily_headphones1.gif

Guilty, but I only recommend them to those that I truly feel would benefit from them. You don't see me recommending them to the guy that wants a sexy portable, or wants to spend more than $500, etc. But if anyone is looking for a great headphone under $200, these are it. Look at my sig. I started with HD280s, then bought all the others, ended up spending well over a grand before I found the RX700. I compared them all to the RX700 and then I sold (or are in the process of selling) all the rest. I just want to save people the hassle that I went through, as well as the money, when the best sub $200 phone is $34.

I see people recommending HD280, D1001, DT770, and I think: "No way, they can get a better phone for a third of the price!" and I have to tell them about the RX700.

Just trying to testify the gospel and spread the word.
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 30, 2009 at 8:19 PM Post #28 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr Machine /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Yeah, I am also considering the HD555 for the advanced future, maybe for movies, all around music, for my girlfriend or when I need a break from the 280's.

Well you better hope you can wear the things longer than 30mins before the clamping force gives you a headache. Or you'll be getting those HD555's sooner rather than later..
tongue.gif

I put my 280's over a mini Basketball for days trying to stretch them out. I eventually gave up on them on after YEARS of trying. I had them for 4 years used them around the house/pc/and gaming...I finally gave up on them and gave them to my daughter and she uses them when she is on the PC/Ipod. I put them on again this weekend and was reminded that noise isolation comes at a price with the 280s..... Comfort. Hope this isnt the case with you. It sucks to have a pair of cans you can only wear for 20mins at a time. I'll stick with my Denon d1001's for "light" use.

Mar 30, 2009 at 8:40 PM Post #29 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by ndskyz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well you better hope you can wear the things longer than 30mins before the clamping force gives you a headache. Or you'll be getting those HD555's sooner rather than later..
tongue.gif

Hehe, that's funny and could very possible. I am in the process to discover headphoning as a culture. I never thought I would ever discuss my hp use on an internet forum.
Headphones have been a necessity since I am a kid (some 40 years ago
triportsad.gif
), to for follow my "listening to music" addiction.

My head is actually not as wide as it is long, lol, also I have imprints on both sides already
biggrin.gif
I think those 280's will fit right on there ...

But seriously, I think they will be perfect for sporadic, analytical listening and monitoring and esp. to coop with the massive impact coming from my SWR bass tuner.

Mar 30, 2009 at 8:48 PM Post #30 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rex81 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
... I just want to save people the hassle that I went through, as well as the money, when the best sub $200 phone is $34.

I see people recommending HD280, D1001, DT770, and I think: "No way, they can get a better phone for a third of the price!" and I have to tell them about the RX700.

Just trying to testify the gospel and spread the word.
smily_headphones1.gif

I think that's great. By nature, I am a minimalist, I consider 'great gain from small investment' as a major contribution to happiness
smile.gif

I've been browsing for a good buying source, my usual ordering sources don't carry those RX700. Also I think there is an open version for a few more bucks, which I would prefer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back