Sennheiser HD-25 SP II for $95
Nov 14, 2011 at 5:51 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Shweed

New Head-Fier
Nov 14, 2011 at 7:37 PM Post #2 of 8

Quote:
just saw the following website stocking the Sennheiser HD25 SP II headphones for $95,
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/751941-REG/Sennheiser_HD25SP_II_HD_25_SP_II_On_Ear.html
based on online reviews of the site it seems trustworthy but I have no experience with it.
I was just looking to find out what the difference was between the HD25-1 II and the HD25 SP II. does the SP sound the same, if not how much worse?

I have heard about them, my friends on the US have bought stuff from them..they are reliable.

I'd love to help more on the HD-25's comparison but i haven't used them. 

Feb 6, 2012 at 1:50 PM Post #3 of 8
the SP II model SUCKS for anything but DJing maybe.

they have no bass even after 20 hours of high SPL dubstep break in and gave me headaches trying to listen to them for long stretches as they're so bright in the upper midrange & lower treble. i was furious when i bought them as they didn't sound like $200 phones should and i didn't even think they were worth $95. i'd rate them as $30 headphones at best for everyday use.

they can play insanely loud without distorting and have tons of speed and detail, but a rolled off bass and amped up treble that makes them sound like tiny bookshelf speakers. even my little NHT superzeros had more bass. i stopped using them the second i brought home a pair of $50 AKG K44s. those have acceptable bass, though still a little polite and a much smoother treble response with excellent low level resolution and speed if a bit of spotlighting on siblants that tells you when a track was recorded with too much treble.

they totally ruined the sound of binaural recordings which sound much more natural on even $30 semi-open JVCs. they impart a closed in almost plasticky sound that destroys the imaging & ambience of a good binaural recording.

for the price difference, i imagine the studio version has better drivers and a flatter frequency response and that the SP IIs are designed to cut through the noise of a DJ rig at full volume more than be fun reference instruments. i didn't care for the grado style swivel cups one bit either.

Feb 6, 2012 at 2:08 PM Post #4 of 8
BH is a pretty well respected site, safe to order from.

Feb 6, 2012 at 2:33 PM Post #5 of 8

Quote:
just saw the following website stocking the Sennheiser HD25 SP II headphones for $95,
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/751941-REG/Sennheiser_HD25SP_II_HD_25_SP_II_On_Ear.html
based on on-line reviews of the site it seems trustworthy but I have no experience with it.
I was just looking to find out what the difference was between the HD25-1 II and the HD25 SP II. does the SP sound the same, if not how much worse?

The big saving in price is that the headband is very cheap to make compared to the split headband of the HD 25-1 II, HD 25-13 II, etc.

But - at the same time - Sennheiser down-rated the capsules and the SP is nowhere near as good as the split headband versions.

Feb 7, 2012 at 10:30 AM Post #6 of 8
regarding B&H photo... agreed. i've bought a bunch of stuff from them and never had a problem and when i didn't like  the HD 25 SP IIs mistakenly thinking i was getting the studio HD 25s, they took them back without fuss. it doesn't hurt that they generally have the best prices either. that's why i keep going back... if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

i just bought a sansa clip+ and a 32gb SD mini card from them and "splurged" $2.79 for 3 day shipping and got my stuff in 3 days.

good customer service is becoming the exception to the rule these days. do NOT get me started on sony & creative labs! LOL

Feb 7, 2012 at 12:37 PM Post #7 of 8
Basically the Sp version is a low priced HD-25 with inferior drivers and sound quality. For a few extra bucks, its better going for the 25 I II's. 

Feb 7, 2012 at 5:00 PM Post #8 of 8
Both HD25SP and HD25-1 have a nasty 7kHz spike that will make some people uncomfortable.  On HD25-1, it is a little bit more subdued.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back