sennheiser HD-25 good for noob?
Jul 10, 2011 at 10:11 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 110

Daydreamin747

Head-Fier
Hey guys, this is my first ever post.  I've been surfing this site for quite a while now and found all the information extremely helpful in the search of finding a new set of good cans.  However, i still have some questions that are unanswered.

1. can untrained ears (mine. I've only owned skullcandys) tell the difference between beats solo hd and sennheiser hd25 1-ii?

2. does the regular sennheiser hd25 1-ii version and the adidas version have any differences sound quality wise?

3.  Are these even the best headphones i can get for the price?

My musical preferences are hip hop/rap (lupe fiasco), reggae (bob marley), rock (linkin park), and soft rock (jack johnson).

Jul 10, 2011 at 10:44 PM Post #2 of 110
I think you'll like them. They are my favorite headphone for $200 and less. Perfect for the genres you listed. It's not overwhelmingly bass heavy like some other phones, but well balanced and PUNCHY. one of the most punchy headphones in that price point.

Only difference between Adiddas version is the looks.

Jul 10, 2011 at 10:49 PM Post #4 of 110
Great headphones

They do need some power to push, so an amp might be in your future. Just wait and see.

great overall sound

Sorry to lead you off, but if you can't buy an amp. FiiO E9 $100 btw

You should check out ATH-M50's

they are classed together, the m50's are cheaper, over ear, bigger bass and don't need an amp. 

Jul 10, 2011 at 10:50 PM Post #5 of 110

Quote:

Beats: 3/10 - worth $100 IMO

HD25-1 ii: 6/10 - well worth the price if you want to switch off to portable

M50: 6/10 - well worth the price and doesn't need an amp. Good for portable too, but not as much as HD25

Jul 10, 2011 at 10:50 PM Post #6 of 110

Quote:
Great headphones

They do need some power to push, so an amp might be in your future. Just wait and see.

great overall sound

Sorry to lead you off, but if you can't buy an amp. FiiO E9 $100 btw

You should check out ATH-M50's

they are classed together, the m50's are cheaper, over ear, bigger bass and don't need an amp. 

The HD25's don't need an amp either.

Jul 10, 2011 at 10:56 PM Post #9 of 110

Quote:
Yeah, portability and durability are big issues.  ive heard the hd25's are built like tanks. is this true? 

Yes, but you can do better.

M50's are legendary for their build quality.

But, I'm trying to stress that you need an amp with them. Without a good amp, you can't get the sound you wanted with them, and they sound pretty bad. To my ears.

Here's a review with both the M50's and the HD25-1 ii:
http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/433318/shootout-84-portable-headphones-reviewed-fischer-audio-fa-004-koss-ur55-added-06-06

Jul 10, 2011 at 11:04 PM Post #10 of 110

Quote:

Yes, they do need an amp

Impedance does not tell the full story of how difficult a headphone is to drive. I use the HD25's as a portable and can notice very little difference between my Cowon J3 and Audio-GD NFB-12 (which I use to drive 600ohm Beyers) as the source. The HD25 may very slightly benefit from amping, but not enough to justify the bulky form factor a portable amp brings. 

Jul 10, 2011 at 11:12 PM Post #11 of 110

Quote:
Impedance does not tell the full story of how difficult a headphone is to drive. I use the HD25's as a portable and can notice very little difference between my Cowon J3 and Audio-GD NFB-12 (which I use to drive 600ohm Beyers) as the source. The HD25 may very slightly benefit from amping, but not enough to justify the bulky form factor a portable amp brings. 

You'll be amazed how a Cowon can drive headphones

My T50RP are like fish out of water without an amp.
To my desktop, they sound horrible, but my Cowon S9, which is the same as your J3, my S9 pushes it fine.

He's running from a Ipod, so pretty much any can needs more power. 

And it's true that Impendance isn't just the only factor, but it is the largest factor.

But, if OP wants to buy a headphone and have it sound grainy and bloated when turned up or no sound when turned down, let him. I'm just trying to help someone out here.

Jul 10, 2011 at 11:13 PM Post #12 of 110
first of all, thanks, botbyte, for the site. i looked and was surprised to see that both the sennheiser hd25 and the ATH m50 have the same sound quality rating, despite the sennheisers being nearly 70 dollars more.  but, which headphone runs better un-amped? because, as synergy said, i might forfeit a minor boost in sound quality for the portablability of not bringing one.

Jul 10, 2011 at 11:16 PM Post #13 of 110
The M50 doesnt come anywhere near close to the HD25 in sound, build quality, durability or portability. in any case it only manage to trow some punches in comfort, and because any circulaural is relatively more comfortable than a supreaural. take this from someone that owns both and used them both a lot. even without amping the HD25 leads.

HD25: 110% rugged plastic, flexible, modable, interchangeable parts, superb sound quality, improves with an amp, specially the bass. easy to carry around, dont need to baby them, I just trow mine in a backpack with my book and clothes and thats it.

If i were you Id get me the HD25 use it like that for a while, months or so and get an amp later if you are not satisfied. just dont bit the M50 hipe, I regreat buying mine. they are good for 110 - 130$ but HD25 is in another league.

Jul 10, 2011 at 11:33 PM Post #15 of 110

Users who are viewing this thread

Back