Sennheiser HD 25-C II dull sounding after 2 weeks burn in.
Oct 10, 2009 at 10:03 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

counterpoint

New Head-Fier
I purchased a pair of HD 25-C II headhpones about two weeks ago for late night producing sessions in my studio. I am running them from an M-Audio Firewire solo. I already have Sony v900s and Beyerdynamic DT880s. I bought them to because they are supposed to have a flatter response than the v900s and because they have a bit more volume, low end punch and isolation than the DT800s. Plus the reviews of these headphones are glowing all over the net!

I researched the crap out of these and the "C" model I believe is exactly the same headphone as the HD 25-1 II with a coiled copper cable instead of a straight steel cable, amirite?.

I have been burning these things in over night, every night with dance music and pink noise for two weeks now and the sound is still very dull. The high end simply is not there and snares sound more like thuds. Shakers are inaudible and congas sound dull and very far back in the mix.

I am at work right now for 12 hours and I am trying the ultra high frequency filter sweeps .wav I got on burninwave.com while I am away.

There is surprisingly little information about the C model with the curled cable on head-fi. Does this cable have something to do with the dull sound of these cans compared to the steel cable?

Does anyone have any tips that will help burn these cans in to bring life to the high end?

I must have played 100 hours of pink noise and dance muisic through these things and they still sound lifeless and dull!

Oct 11, 2009 at 7:43 AM Post #2 of 20
Oct 11, 2009 at 7:52 AM Post #3 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by counterpoint /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I researched the crap out of these and the "C" model I believe is exactly the same headphone as the HD 25-1 II with a coiled copper cable instead of a straight steel cable, amirite?.

Yes

Oct 11, 2009 at 3:32 PM Post #4 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by counterpoint /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well...

After 12 hours of Ultra frequency sweep (10-30000 Hz)

The highs have finally opened up a bit.

Looks like it will be 8 hours of pink noise at night and 12 hours of ultra high frequency sweeps during the day while I am at work for a while.
D

Yeah, cos phones that sound dull and lifeless really just do a complete 360 when you burn them in.

Oct 11, 2009 at 4:13 PM Post #5 of 20
yeh...just sell your headphones and get a DT250
wink.gif

jk drubbing

Oct 11, 2009 at 5:32 PM Post #7 of 20
It is the steel cable as factory standard in all HD25-1. You have to replace them with any HD6xx cable, even the cheaper original Sennheiser HD600 cable can solve the problem and make the HD25-1 really sings.

Oct 11, 2009 at 5:57 PM Post #9 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by ManAtWork /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It is the steel cable as factory standard in all HD25-1. You have to replace them with any HD6xx cable, even the cheaper original Sennheiser HD600 cable can solve the problem and make the HD25-1 really sings.

Well, not really.

I've tried them with various cables ranging from APS V3 to Cardas to Equinox and although they made subtle improvements to the sound, they didn't really change the overall recessed presentation. I suppose this is the way the HD25 sounds so the question is whether you like this signature or not.

Oct 11, 2009 at 9:21 PM Post #10 of 20
Have senn 25 1 and they are anything but dull ! Senn 25 has colored sound, in other words they are not flat at all ! But sound is subjective so get another headphone and enjoy your music !

Oct 11, 2009 at 11:43 PM Post #11 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by Drubbing /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah, cos phones that sound dull and lifeless really just do a complete 360 when you burn them in.

if by "complete 360" you mean stay the same, then you're right!

Oct 12, 2009 at 4:33 AM Post #12 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by roker /img/forum/go_quote.gif
if by "complete 360" you mean stay the same, then you're right!

Subtlety get picked up sometimes.

If you're looking for pink UHF and cables to change the sound of your phone - you need a different phone. One that sound the way to want it to from the beginning.

Oct 17, 2009 at 8:39 AM Post #13 of 20
Seemed like days of pink noise did nothing... a couple of 12 hour filter sweep sessions and they have done a complete "180!"

They are noticeably LOUDER as well when I take them on the move with my ipod!

Well... anyone reading this who has just bought hd25s... they take friggin ages to burn in!!! The more I listen to them, the better they sound now... but the first few weeks are painful!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back