Sennheiser HD 25-1 II Vs Audio Technica ATH-M50
May 14, 2012 at 10:42 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 43

pentel21

Head-Fier
Hi Head-fi'er ! 

I am new on this very great forum and I need some good advices to buy some cans. I saw that Audio Technica M50 is popular here. But I also like the HD 25 because it's small so portable. 

Except the portability (both are good for that no ? )
I'll use them in school and bus (noisy environnement) so I need an excellent isolation to don't destroy my ears with 75%+ of volume.  :)
--- 

This is some examples of music I listen: 

Ratatat - Loud Pipes : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=64liF2VuLxI (electro) 
The decemeberists - O Valencia : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zJXQSBWO5Qc&feature=relmfu  (rock)
Avishai Cohen - Elli : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H4eN13SXqv0&feature=related (jazz)
Arcade Fire - Wake Up   : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9zdNdjF-htY&feature=related (rock)

and finally, a great/excellent sound quality for the kind of music I listen to. 

Big thanks! 

May 15, 2012 at 11:28 AM Post #5 of 43
thanks

My budget: 200$ 
So I can get the Shure 840 or the DT770 at this price no ? 
But both seems to be big to be portable... comparing to the HD 25-1. 

Extrabigmehdi, I don't know why you say that HD 25 has bad SQ and uncomfy. I read a lot of reviews that say the opposite (bassy though, but neutral sound) 

No one like the ATH-M50 ? 
tongue.gif

May 15, 2012 at 12:06 PM Post #8 of 43
There is none which meets your criteria of portability, sound quality and isolation. It's Hd-25-1 ii. These are gems. I have compared the isolation of these with some real good passive sound blocking IEMs and they come closest when compared to any other open/closed on ear or over the ear headphone. I fully recommend them especially for the kind of genre you've listed. I listen to classic rock and metal basically and Hd-25-1 ii please me all the way through. The comfort isnt so bad. I wear them at work for hours in a stretch. I guess velour pads + your head gets used to it.

May 15, 2012 at 12:40 PM Post #11 of 43
AKG K550 is really attractive since it has excellent sound quality but really expensive  and big for me. 

thanks for you appreciation thread dubeam01 

I'll go with the HD 25-1 ii. 

Do I need an amp ?

May 15, 2012 at 1:04 PM Post #12 of 43
Quote:
But the OP is looking for portability....K550 is not suitable for that while the isolation though is best in class for home use, again not ideal for when on commute.

It was designed as a full size headphone for portable device use. Maybe you should revisit it's design & features.

Very best,

May 15, 2012 at 1:05 PM Post #13 of 43
Quote:

Extrabigmehdi, I don't know why you say that HD 25 has bad SQ and uncomfy. I read a lot of reviews that say the opposite (bassy though, but neutral sound) 

Congested soundstage, and they are still not enough detailed for my taste (well, that's probably because I'm used to the srh940).
Hd25 is all about the fun of having the mid bass slightly emphasized.
Nice vocals (because quite forward) , but there's something not clean in the mids - high region,
that make me think they are overrated.
And I believe people are often exaggerating the praise for anything from Sennheiser here.
I would follow the Malveaux advice, I don't think the hd25 are worth 200$, I would rate them 120$ at best.
Perhaps the hd25 are more interesting for professional, dj use, that's what they are designed for at begin.

May 15, 2012 at 1:07 PM Post #14 of 43
Most of the suggestions above (ie. DT-770, K550, srh-840) are too big for portable use.

I'm in a similar situation and currently looking for small portable headphones. Both the AiAiAi TMA-1 and Beyerdynamic DT-1350 appears to be comparable in terms of portability to the Sennheiser HD-25-1 II. The sound signature of all three are quite different. The DT-1350 is priced the highest of the bunch at $300.

May 15, 2012 at 1:19 PM Post #15 of 43
Iems are much more portable than the hd25. You can't put the hd25 around the neck, and the bag provided is useless.
You might consider Iems.
The hd25 are supposed to be built like a tank, but that doesn't mean you don't need to protect them.
I think Malveau is suggesting relatively big can (over the ears) because they usually  provide better sound quality than these tiny supra aural for similar  price.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back