sennheiser HD 215 or Creative Aurvana Live
Jan 17, 2009 at 3:48 AM Post #2 of 15
Both aint good for Metal with Aurvana live being slightly better but still not the best u can get.

what is your budget?

you can checkout Grado SR80 or SR225

Jan 17, 2009 at 6:24 AM Post #4 of 15
in that case Creative Aurvana Live! will be better...if as claimed they are similar to D1001 then they should improve with burn-in i.e the more u use it the better they get.

Btw how much are u getting Denon D1001 ?

they have better construction.

Jan 17, 2009 at 1:41 PM Post #6 of 15
I just received a pair of CAL'S yesterday from amazon, I'm no audiophile but there's clearly a noticeable improvement over my HD485's

The bass is far less bloated which results in a more detailed sound and better separation between instruments. They also sound far more 'lively' which is probably a result of the improved treble/mid range yet they're not earpiecing at loud volumes unlike the Sens.

Comfort is great too, lightweight and the leather style cushions are very nice.

For £40 i couldn't of really asked for much more.

Btw just been listening to some Metallica and they sound great to me.

Jan 17, 2009 at 2:02 PM Post #7 of 15
The SR80's are no competition for the CAL's. The SR225's, hmm... I'm not sure, they never impressed me. Recabled CAL's kick ass.
wink.gif

Jan 17, 2009 at 2:18 PM Post #8 of 15
The Cal's are superb for metal.
Come to think of it they make anything sound great.
I paid £40 for mine and it may be the best £40 i ever spent on a phone.
Superb comfort,not bad isolation and sound thats better than many phones triple the price.
I dont think there is a better portable out there.

Jan 18, 2009 at 7:50 PM Post #10 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by anglocentric /img/forum/go_quote.gif
sounds good, do they fit over the ear? also is re cabling a bad idea for someone inexperienced with that sort of thing?

I could finally compared my recabled CAL! (using Denon AH-D5000 stock wire) with a stock one and I can confirm majkel is definitely right(thanks, majkel!). Even when used straight out from the Sansa Clip, the recabled one sounds better. I have posted the differences that I noticed at the D1001 recabling topic, you should check it out.

Jan 19, 2009 at 6:13 AM Post #13 of 15
Quote:

tbh i didn't really understand that.

I have bigger ears than normal but they do fit over the ear nicely and besides the soldering job the recable is not a hard thing to do. There are even pictures in this thread (the two headphones are almost the same)

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/rec...-d1000-353941/

Jan 19, 2009 at 1:41 PM Post #15 of 15
Quote:

does look promising, do you think it would be worth re cabling some dirt cheap phones as practice?

I chose the CAL! because it's cheap enough to start with, it is very easy to take it into parts and put it back together (see the pictures in the thread) and it does work.

Although I should mention that I don't hear the differences using the Logitech Z-10 headphone out (which is better than an integrated soundcard), only from the Sansa Clip. But I am waiting for a better DAC and a cable to connect it to the headphone amp which I think will make it much better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back