Sennheiser HD-202 vs. HD-457 vs. HD-497
Aug 4, 2002 at 7:23 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

ultraviolet353

Head-Fier
OK, I know the HD-497 is supposed to be the best of these but let me tell you what I am looking for. I need good, solid headphones that will fulfill my volume needs when I am playing music through a portable cd player. My one complaint with portable cd players are the peak volume levels are weak as compared to cassette walkman. The 202 and 457 can be found for less than $30 so I would prefer to save a little money if they will do the job. Also, for peak volume, is it best to go for a closed headphone (HD-202) or an open one (HD-457). My one complaint about the HD-497 is it does not come with a wind up clip (like the 202 and 457)which is kind of a big deal since a 10 ft. cord is a pain when I go to the gym. Any input on the above would be greatly appreciated by this newbie.

Thank you.

Aug 4, 2002 at 7:30 AM Post #2 of 9
Welcome to Head-Fi, sorry about your wallet.
Not to confuse you anymore, but you might want to check into the Koss ksc-35. They are easily driven by a pcdp and would be perfect for active use. They can be found for under $30. Hope this helps.

Aug 4, 2002 at 7:40 AM Post #3 of 9
will these Koss really be better than the fuller sized Sennies? Will they be louder? I have a pair of Sony MDR-G52 headphone sthat look similar to the KOSS and they do not deliver on a portable CD player.

Aug 4, 2002 at 7:45 AM Post #4 of 9
I have not heard the Sennheiser phones mentioned in your post. The koss ksc-35 are extremely liked on this board. They should get plenty loud from most pcdp's.

Aug 6, 2002 at 2:46 AM Post #5 of 9
just a note.....would you actualy use the HD497's out and about.....they are somewhat big and some people tend not to like there strange look....

as for the volume they can be driven fairly well with a portable.....and the ksc35 is also very good...although it would let in more outside sounds....but that might not be bad out in public...depending on how loud your surroundings are and if you want to let in outside noise or not...

i can highly recommend the hd497 for the sound quality for the price but i can also highly recommend the ksc35

ray

Aug 6, 2002 at 8:57 PM Post #6 of 9
Depends on if you like a headphone or a clipon I guess. For convenience, I like headphones. The HD497 is for example brilliantly well designed for 'neck-resting' when you haven't got them on (the partly-sculpted headband is exactly for this purpose) and also look fine when you have them on.

WIth the Koss, it takes some effort to get them on, and even when you're proficient with them, it's not as quick as whipping the headphones off.

The 497's look fine on most heads. The size is borderline 'ummm... big' but not incredibly so.

Sound is great I think - on a par with the KSC's for most purposes, easily.

And you know what? The 497's would be louder than the 35's on your average gutless PCDP/MD. BUT, if you think the G52's don't deliver, it may be a problem cuz that's about the kind of volume you can expect.

And as for the cord, you only need to save the twisty wire things they come packaged with in the first place. Failing that, ziptie...

Aug 7, 2002 at 12:09 AM Post #7 of 9
Quote:

Originally posted by Magicthyse
WIth the Koss, it takes some effort to get them on, and even when you're proficient with them, it's not as quick as whipping the headphones off.

I'll race you then
wink.gif
I find the KSC-35 to actually be easier to put on/take off than "fuller size" headphones, because there's less adjusting to do -- they only "fit" one way. With a full-size heapdhone--especially one like the HD 497 that sits on top of your ears--I find myself trying to find the right angle for the headband, and the right position sitting on each ear.

Quote:

Sound is great I think - on a par with the KSC's for most purposes, easily.

The HD 497 have very good sound; that said, I personally prefer the sound of the KSC-35.

Quote:

And you know what? The 497's would be louder than the 35's on your average gutless PCDP/MD.

True to a limited extent, but not really that noticeable. These are both fairly efficient, portable headphones, that can get PLENTY loud out of any portable. But it sounds like ultraviolet might listen to music at possibly unhealthy levels if most portables can't drive efficient headphones loud enough.

Ultraviolet, neither will give you any real isolation, so if you're going to be in a noisy environment (and it's SAFE to be closed off) you might want to go with closed headphones because you won't have to turn them up as loud to be able to hear them.

Aug 7, 2002 at 3:53 AM Post #8 of 9
I certainly don't step outside with an open phone these days...

Aug 11, 2002 at 3:13 PM Post #9 of 9
If Magicthyse had called the HD212Pros the "V700DJ Lites,", I'd certainly call my particular HD497s the "HD580 Lites."
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back