Sennheiser has sold its consumer audio business - to hearing aids company
May 13, 2021 at 7:25 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

chesebert

18 Years An Extra-Hardcore Head-Fi'er
Last edited:
May 16, 2021 at 1:25 PM Post #3 of 19
Not at this time. But it looks like an asset sale so engineers may or may not transfer to the hearing aids company. I would have rather preferred a consumer electronics company bought the headphone business not a medical hearing aid company

May 17, 2021 at 11:51 PM Post #5 of 19
So the pro cans are their money makers? Besides the mics. A lot of pros use HD600, HD650, or HD800, hopefully those won't be fading away.

May 18, 2021 at 1:08 AM Post #6 of 19
I believe HDxxx are all part of the consumer line and have been sold. I could be wrong.

May 18, 2021 at 9:29 PM Post #8 of 19
that royally blows, unless Sonova decides to keep the HD280, HD25, HD650, and others that are popular in pro audio

I'm most interested in HD6x0 amd HD25, so I can keep my 25 & 650 running a very long time =)

May 20, 2021 at 7:06 PM Post #9 of 19
Wait, I thought Sennheiser had pro headphones, such as the HD 25, the HD 280, and a few others (HD 650 is the consumer division). Are these also affected by the sale? (Link below to see that the HD 25 and HD 280 are listed under pro audio under the DJ section, not in the audiophile section as the HD 600 and 650 are.)

https://en-us.sennheiser.com/on-ear-dj-headphone-hd25
https://en-us.sennheiser.com/hd-280-pro

Note that for both of these, the Pro Audio section will be highlighted to indicate you are on this section of their website.

https://en-us.sennheiser.com/high-quality-headphones-around-ear-audio-surround-hd-650
https://en-us.sennheiser.com/best-audio-headphones-high-end-stereo-hifi-hd-600

Where as for here, the Headphones & Soundbars are highlighted to indicate their consumer section.

I could be misinformed though.

May 21, 2021 at 10:56 AM Post #10 of 19
From what Linus said in his video, the pro HD6xx series was included. And he also said further on that all headphones were included in the deal. This is just one source of course. The future will tell what happens. I doubt they will drop a lot of the classics very soon, as the buyer has also been allowed to use the Sennheiser name, so I think that Sennheiser may still have something to say about it in the first year(s) of the deal.

We'll have to see if Sonova decides to remain in the audiophile market, or if they decide to go for the more lucrative popular market (wireless BT for portable use, 'hip' headphones in multiple colours and such toys, etc). Still, I wouldn't wait til 2022 if you want something like an HD600 or 650.

I do wonder if Sonova will keep the manufacturing in Ireland (maybe they can also use that for their hearing aids) or if they will move it all to China, like AKG did.

May 24, 2021 at 6:41 PM Post #11 of 19
Feb 22, 2022 at 11:55 AM Post #12 of 19
Wow this was a shocker. Given the level of technical expertise is their hearing aid and improvement products Sonova might surprise us and improve some products. they work within areas of the human auditory spectrum that their engineers might bring new levels of insight too from another perspective. fingers crossed. I have had senn cans in one form or another from stealing my dads as a kid to new 800 and iem's.

Mar 22, 2022 at 1:20 PM Post #14 of 19
This blows...does it mean I can't find reasonable, affordable replacement cables for my HD 580's and 650's, as well as my Drop 58X's?
No, there is a healthy aftermarket for cables for those. Nobody buys Sennheiser factory cables.

Oct 20, 2022 at 10:25 AM Post #15 of 19
From what Linus said in his video, the pro HD6xx series was included. And he also said further on that all headphones were included in the deal. This is just one source of course. The future will tell what happens. I doubt they will drop a lot of the classics very soon, as the buyer has also been allowed to use the Sennheiser name, so I think that Sennheiser may still have something to say about it in the first year(s) of the deal.

We'll have to see if Sonova decides to remain in the audiophile market, or if they decide to go for the more lucrative popular market (wireless BT for portable use, 'hip' headphones in multiple colours and such toys, etc). Still, I wouldn't wait til 2022 if you want something like an HD600 or 650.

I do wonder if Sonova will keep the manufacturing in Ireland (maybe they can also use that for their hearing aids) or if they will move it all to China, like AKG did.
Everything went to this for a long time, the main thing is that the headphones would continue to be produced. Especially the classic ones, I really like them. I often read about business ethics and use https://studymoose.com/free-essays/business-ethics for this. When I see such high-profile statements, it is always interesting for me to delve into the process. It's really interesting how everything happens and what it will lead to.
I think everything will be saved in Ireland

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back