Sennheiser has been sold!
May 7, 2021 at 2:15 PM Post #3 of 20
Not surprising. What they were doing just wasn't working. Hopefully Sonova can right the ship, but I'm not optimistic.

May 7, 2021 at 9:03 PM Post #4 of 20
Not surprising. What they were doing just wasn't working. Hopefully Sonova can right the ship, but I'm not optimistic.
I purchased an HD800S, the newest version with the Penticon cord, from a fellow Head-Fier recently (Feb 21). I payed a little more than I wanted, but less than was asked.

On delivery of the phones, I immediately purchased several ear-pad/headband pads. For my money, the Geekria elite sheepskin pads are hard to beat, I ordered 2 pair https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08P8XNWYH/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1. Along with the slightly used OEM pad, the three pairs of pads should last the life of the phones.

Whatever happens to Sennheiser, I've got one of the best headphones I've ever listed to.

Last edited:
May 8, 2021 at 12:55 AM Post #5 of 20
I purchased an HD800S, the newest version with the Penticon cord, from a fellow Head-Fier recently (Feb 21). I payed a little more than I wanted, but less than was asked.

On delivery of the phones, I immediately purchased several ear-pad/headband pads. For my money, the Geekria elite sheepskin pads are hard to beat, I ordered 2 pair https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08P8XNWYH/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1. Along with the slightly used OEM pad, the three pairs of pads should last the life of the phones.

Whatever happens to Sennheiser, I've got one of the best headphones I've ever listed to.
They do make good headphones, but they also make a lot of crap HP's (basically anything under $200 that isn't an HD6XX). The problem is, for the avg consumer the only ones you can readily find on store shelves are the crap ones.

The big problem is they also made is clear that they can make a profit (shared no-less) on HD6XX's for a fraction of what they're charging for retreads of the same design they've had for ~20 yrs. They're still apparently selling the HD600 for $399 but they really should have lowered that to closer to (if not the same price) as the HD6XX just to get them into people's hands and build that brand loyalty with a really solid HP early on in their journey. That is how you get them hooked and eventually get them to buy the HD650 at $500, and maybe get a small number interested in the HD8-- series.

The fact that the HD6XX exists, means that Sennheiser should have done that, and had that available to consumers w/o having to order one of the various 600-series HP's online, or going through the dumpster-fire that is Drop. Problem is all you can find in store is the garbage-teir $150-200 HP's

The also needed to market their headphones. Hell, pay Cardi B, PewdiePie, Kyle Kuzma, or any other low-level "celeb"/athlete to shill for them. The fact that outside of audiophile forums no one even knows of Sennheiser (or at least their good HP's) is a major failure on their part. You can't just make a product, then rely on headphones.com or the likes to market them for you with random reviews. It's 2021, they should be better with marketing and especially availability. If they had even a basic marketing program and then had something like the HD600's priced at $249 and actually on store shelves (why can I find the craptastic HD450BT's at BestBuy, MicroCenter, Target, Walmart, and until recently Fry's....but I can't find an HD650 much less an HD600?!?!?) they'd be much better off.

Last edited:
May 8, 2021 at 1:01 AM Post #6 of 20
Well, it is time for me to stock up on spare pads and cables - just in case!

May 8, 2021 at 8:22 AM Post #7 of 20
Worth reading the entire press release on the Sennheiser site.

https://en-us.sennheiser.com/newsro...L5HPStwNw&utm_source=Linkshare&utm_medium=CPA

I find the partnership/partner language bizarre: "we have found a partner in Sonova"; "with the partnership for the Consumer business". They sold it 100%, what partnership, are there some clauses in the contract about Sennheiser retaining some influence?

Sounds like Sonova can do as it pleases going forward, having full ownership of this business unit. Being a public company, it won't be afraid to trim low-volume, research intensive units like audiophile products. Who knows? Let's see.

But for sure the 6-series is in mortal danger now. I agree with the above, get your spares.

By the way, short impressions on the sale here at 51:59. Hard to disagree with them.

May 8, 2021 at 9:14 AM Post #9 of 20

https://en-us.sennheiser.com/newsro...L5HPStwNw&utm_source=Linkshare&utm_medium=CPA

I find the partnership/partner language bizarre: "we have found a partner in Sonova"; "with the partnership for the Consumer business". They sold it 100%, what partnership, are there some clauses in the contract about Sennheiser retaining some influence?

Sounds like Sonova can do as it pleases going forward, having full ownership of this business unit. Being a public company, it won't be afraid to trim low-volume, research intensive units like audiophile products. Who knows? Let's see.

But for sure the 6-series is in mortal danger now. I agree with the above, get your spares.

By the way, short impressions on the sale here at 51:59. Hard to disagree with them.

I suspect the "partnership" language is there because these products will continue to be branded as "Sennheiser" so they want to suggest a continuity in quality and support for the products. It's also possible they have some deals in place in terms of manufacturing facilities or other cooperation

May 8, 2021 at 10:48 AM Post #10 of 20
Sonova used to be called Phonak (it was their original name, not some acquisition/merger stuff) and they still use that name as a brand.

Might ring a bell with some around here... Make of that as you will.

Edit: lol, and it I just noticed my signature. You can tell how long it's been since I've been around here.

Last edited:
May 8, 2021 at 11:06 AM Post #11 of 20
Sonova used to be called Phonak (it was their original name, not some acquisition/merger stuff) and they still use that name as a brand.

Might ring a bell with some around here... Make of that as you will.

Edit: lol, and it I just noticed my signature. You can tell how long it's been since I've been around here.
I didn't know that. Phonak IEMs were pretty popular around a decade ago. The audiological expertise was part of the appeal too.

May 8, 2021 at 12:39 PM Post #12 of 20
I didn't know that. Phonak IEMs were pretty popular around a decade ago. The audiological expertise was part of the appeal too.

They were the hot shizz for a while. The original 112s/121s were very good and cheap, but had cracking issues, as well as cable degradation issues.

They sort of lost their way with the 232s (great, but too expensive for what they were). And the 012s fixed the originals problems, but the buzz had gone by then and they focussed more on the bass which they never were going to be best at.

Anyway, perhaps with an already established team they can do better.

May 8, 2021 at 6:15 PM Post #13 of 20

Sennheiser still owns the IP of the brand, and will continue to operate in the professional world running their own destiny. Whilst they may have sold the consumer line of business, they'll most likely be sharing innovation and tech duties, as well as continuing to manage their outward branding.

May 8, 2021 at 6:29 PM Post #14 of 20
Sennheiser still owns the IP of the brand, and will continue to operate in the professional world running their own destiny. Whilst they may have sold the consumer line of business, they'll most likely be sharing innovation and tech duties, as well as continuing to manage their outward branding.

How can they possibly still own the IP? Are you saying the buyer will pay them royalties every time they make use of the IP to produce tangible items? (i.e. 1000 HD-600 units produced in June 2021, now buyer has to pay royalties to Sennheiser on the related IP). I am struggling to understand what the buyer bought in this case... the factory and molds?

May 8, 2021 at 6:47 PM Post #15 of 20
How can they possibly still own the IP? Are you saying the buyer will pay them royalties every time they make use of the IP to produce tangible items? (i.e. 1000 HD-600 units produced in June 2021, now buyer has to pay royalties to Sennheiser on the related IP). I am struggling to understand what the buyer bought in this case... the factory and molds?
They still own the IP of their own brand, which will continue to exist outside of the consumer headphones division, which has been sold. Of course, I don't know the specifics of the deal, but the value exchange that has taken place is that Sennheiser got/continues to receive cash, and the purchaser gets to make a profit from producing headphones under the Sennheiser banner.

If it were me, I would have negotiated an upfront cash sale, plus a continued licensing fee for the use of the brand name plus the ability to leverage talent and tech from inside Sennheiser.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back