Sennheiser GSX 1000 / 1200 Impressions
Jan 23, 2018 at 1:03 PM Post #932 of 1,519
Hooooley motha'o'god....

It's a common english idiom, it means "to set to the maximum level". Do i have to dumb everything down for you?

Don't say incorrect or "dumb" things. You are also misleading people to think the gsx has level adjustments. like my "cheap realtek" would, or any other sound card would, when it has no such thing!

Is this an "audiophile" term? Its no wonder these communities are so lost.

I'm keeping you honest.

Last edited:
Jan 23, 2018 at 1:13 PM Post #936 of 1,519
So you really don't know what an idiom is, do you? And you expect people to take you seriously?

trolling now are we? Alot of people will take what you said differently, whether you intended or not. I just set the record clear for those who don't know your "idioms".

But You don't know the diff between diff bit rates to your ears in windows. You don't understand reverb and why its beneficial in gaming for immersion. you don't even know the most common definition of 3d audio.... You are definitely no sound engineer.

This thread is going ot cause people to take head-fi.org less seriously. By blindly promoting a "gaming" gimmick.

Last edited:
Jan 23, 2018 at 1:19 PM Post #937 of 1,519
Again, you're confusing bit rates with bit depth, those are VERY different things. I am no sound engineer (although i did learn about singal processing, it's part of my job after all) but you're even worse than a layman... Artificial reverb is not beneficial to gaming. And i stand by my definition of 3D audio.

Also it's not "my" idiom

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Up_to_eleven

Last edited:
Jan 23, 2018 at 1:22 PM Post #938 of 1,519
Again, you're confusing bit rates with bit depth, those are VERY different things. Artificial reverb is not beneficial to gaming. And i stand by my definition of 3D audio.

Also it's not "my" idiom

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Up_to_eleven

Then you disagree with the sennheiser engineers. IMO its there for a reason. It increases sound stage, makes things more immersive imo. Like i said. I liked the full reverb for open world games, the minimal reverb for fps games. Just like they recommend. Don't know what you mean by "artificial" reverb. Isn't it all artificial?

You don't have any of the 4 common definitions of 3d audio I stated earlier. I'm not sure you even have a definition for 3d audio. You never even heard of HD audio, which the gsx is not. in 2017!

And I didn't say you made up the idiom, lmao..... thats funny. But Its no wonder you just go by whatever is literally said on paper or in theory, and not by whats happening in reality with your ears. You are definitely the type of person who would keep something like the gsx. Even when you don't like or use any of the effect features on it yourself.

Just the idea of it, is enough for you to own it....

Last edited:
Jan 23, 2018 at 1:34 PM Post #939 of 1,519
Then you disagree with the sennheiser engineers.

I do disagree because added reverb kills quality, it might be slightly better for positionnal audio (that is the goal of the gsx after all), but turning the "virtual room" into a cave is not immersive for me.

And Its no wonder you just go by whatever is literally said on paper or in theory, and not by whats happening in reality with your ears.

What happens between your ears is purely subjective, you might like getting punched in the nuts, that doesn't mean that it's a sensation everyone's looking for nor that it's a medically recommended practice. That's the difference between real world (science) and personnal preferences or biases.

You are definitely the type of person who would keep something like the gsx.

I would keep something like the gsx because:

1) countrary to other vss solutions it works reliably in any situation
2) the loss of quality is close to nil compared to other vss solutions
3) it's the best vss out there, because it's compatible with my brain/morphology and the 2 first points

Last edited:
Jan 23, 2018 at 2:48 PM Post #940 of 1,519
Not sure it does much for positional audio, as it does for immersion. I mean or else you would probably actually use it right? Are you telling me you don't like positional audio. What exactly don't you like about the reverb then, since in your opinion, you're actually lessening the potential positional audio you could have. ?? Why do you even use the gsx?

I didn't get the feeling of being in a cave. although they recommend the diff settings for outdooor environments and indoor. Their recommendations seemed to fit my brain. Strange they don't fit yours. I guess its all personal preference.

I think the gsx is not much diff from other vss solutions, and why I returned it. Its not close to nill at all, its a drastic loss in quality, same as other 3rd party vss solutions. Normal soundcard solutions sound clearer and just as good for positional audio if the game is designed for it. If effects of the gsx sound more immersive to you, thats a diff story compared to positional audio. For example sound effects from rear speakers in movies, like usually music, might sound enveloping but they are doing nothing for positional audio. I do think it made fallout 4 more immersive. But was a downgrade in bf1. And immersion is not a reason for me to buy it, surround sound positional audio was.

I can't get over this compatible with your bain comment, similar to what other posters have said as well. It sounds like bs to me.... or what people say to convince themselves when they have no other argument.

In fact, if your "brain" likes the gsx so much, why would you not like other vss solutions then. Because being being muffled or muddied, is the common complaint of them all. And you're brain seems not to experience that with the gsx...

I still think you just like the idea of the gsx and have money to burn. The actual end result or purpose is not what gets your jollies off. Thats why you say reverb increases positional audio, but don't even use the effect. You only hear what you are told you are hearing.

Last edited:
Jan 23, 2018 at 2:56 PM Post #941 of 1,519
I can't get over this compatible with your bain comment, similar to what other posters have said as well. It sounds like bs to me.... or what people say to convince themselves.

Because HRTF algorithms rely on a trick in order to work, we have tried to explain this to you but you refuse to listen. The algorithms are calibrated using average values, average ear sizes, average head size, average cranial density (might explain why it doesn't work for you) etc... If you deviate from those values the vss might not work (because your brain is used to your own morphology).

Again, learn to fcking read:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Head-related_transfer_function

And yes, the GSX is better than the rest because it adds no unwanted reverb and the HRTF algorithms are the most accurate ones on the market when it comes to positionnal audio.

Jan 23, 2018 at 3:14 PM Post #943 of 1,519
Because HRTF algorithms rely on a trick in order to work, we have tried to explain this to you but you refuse to listen. The algorithms are calibrated using average values, average ear sizes, average head size, average cranial density (might explain why it doesn't work for you) etc... If you deviate from those values the vss might not work (because your brain is used to your own morphology).

Again, learn to fcking read:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Head-related_transfer_function

And yes, the GSX is better than the rest because it adds no unwanted reverb and the HRTF algorithms are the most accurate ones on the market when it comes to positionnal audio.

Its all tricks buddy. Its all virtualization into two ear cups.The diff methods don't matter much to most end users. .Thats what you are not understanding. Thats because you are more interested in the technical specs and what you are reading in the white sheets, then the actual end results.

I find the positional audio is better using the "F" option as previous poster stated. using just my onboard sound card. So I'd have to disagree the gsx has most accurate hrtf. Again, you probably think that because of what you read on paper, not what you are hearing.

It would be different if I was editing after reading your reply. Not sure what your problem is.

Last edited:
Jan 23, 2018 at 3:22 PM Post #944 of 1,519
What exactly don't you like about the reverb then, since in your opinion, you're actually lessening the potential positional audio you could have. ?? Why do you even use the gsx?

Because it's the best VSS out there even without sh*itty reverb that turns outdoor environments into an echo filled cave?

and why I returned it. Its not close to nill at all, its a drastic loss in quality, same as other 3rd party vss solutions

And we've already told you that you might have had a faulty unit or you might've set it up wrong, but you refused to listen to us.

For example sound effects from rear speakers in movies, like usually music, might sound enveloping but they are doing nothing for positional audio.

So, being able to tell whether something is in front or behind you serves no purpose in games?

In fact, if your "brain" likes the gsx so much, why would you not like other vss solutions then. Because being being muffled or muddied, is the common complaint of them all. And you're brain seems not to experience that with the gsx...

The gsx has little to no loss quality compared to other solutions, works reliably every time, again, i'm repeating myself here.

The actual end result or purpose is not what gets your jollies off. Thats why you say reverb increases positional audio, but don't even use the effect. You only hear what you are told you are hearing.

The original purpose is to turn 7.1 audio into HRTF stereo, this is what the gsx does the best, the rest of the effects are for people who like them. The reverb gives a better sense of space yes, but at what cost?

Its all tricks buddy. Thats what you are not understanding. Thats because you are more concerned with what you are reading in the white sheets, then the actual end result.

I understand perfectly how VSS work, you're the one too dense to accept that you might be wrong. The actual result is that i can accurately tell the position of something in a game just by using sound, this is the actual result i'm looking for that other solution fail to provide. Read the effin' wikipedia page.

Last edited:
Jan 23, 2018 at 3:27 PM Post #945 of 1,519
1. I didnt' think the reverb was bad and preferred it. again, guess thats personal preference. But seems another wasted feature for you. I actually think the recommendations from sennheiser were spot on. And i'm sure i'm not the only one who feels like this, otherwise why would they have included the options? Same goes for the eq recommendations. Movies and music. Most of you seem to turn the eq off also.

If you hate reverb and the eq's so much I'm wondering why you even have the gsx. Do you even use any of the GSX features? you must have money to burn.

2. I don't think i had a faulty unit since i've read others have the same complaints. the only people praising this thing in this thread, are regular forum posters it seems. Even most reviews online don't sound impressed. For the price it should be drastic differences.

3. I can tell rear and front sounds in bf1, BETTER WITHOUT THE GSX. how many times have I said that? Its the main game I play. Once i realized I could still iuse the in game 7.1 settings with my onboard card and game zeros with more clarity and no muffling. It was bye bye gsx. Tell me again how the gsx is better lmao....

Tell me again how my brain is different, or I had a faulty unit. Makes you sound like a desperate shill.

4. You love the idea of this "original purpose" and its the main reason you own the thing. Again, you care more about the technical aspects, then the actual end result. The whole idea of it is fascinating I admit. It captured me too. But eventually i had to wake up and realize I'm better off without it.

5. well, I'm hearing surround sound in games quite accurately, without the gsx. In Elder scrolls online, and bf1 which i mainly play. If anything the gsx made me explore these settings which lead to this revelation. I appreciate what I have more now. So I guess I have it to thank for that.So no reason to pay 250 dollars for no reason, other then a loss in quality. Which you call "close to nill" admitting there is a loss.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back