Sennheiser GSX 1000 / 1200 Impressions
Sep 6, 2017 at 1:03 AM Post #631 of 1,519
Because if it was there would be no market for dolby headphones & co, just because you managed to convince yourself (many think that stereo is better than virtual surround) doesn't mean that every game has it. Games that have HRTF or 3D audio have a specific setting for it, as i've said there are a about three of them on PC (on ps4 there is Uncharted 4, Uncharted Lost Legacy, Horizon Zero Dawn). When it comes to BF1, there was an "enhanced stereo" mode in BF3 which was moved into "headphones" later on, it's a pseudo virtual surround, it doesn't do much. And when you select "surround" it does explicitly say that this setting is made for surround headphones (read dolby & co).

I'm using large speakers and surround. with my stereo headphones. LMAO.... I don't mind left and right channels not being very dynamic, I find thats an advantage even though most would deem it broken. I just hope its not considered poor sportsmanship. I asked this on the forums and people think I'm nuts. so screw it. Time to pwn in 2017.

Its still definitely more surround sounding then putting bf1 in stereo mode. Theres a big difference and i can hear rear sounds. This is still very shocking to me and I'm wondering if I'm from another planet...

Last edited:
Sep 6, 2017 at 5:10 AM Post #632 of 1,519
Does anyone happen to use this with a V-Moda Boom Mic attached? I've hooked up my Fidelio X2s to the GSX via the Boom Mic's cables which don't allow for the Fidelio's cable to be attached and I've noticed a distinct drop in base as a result (this could be a result of me not configuring the mic properly as it won't acknowledge that I'm making sound into it). I'm not enough of an Audiophile to identify if any other sound elements are changed but the base is quite clearly lowered.

Is this likely to be a result of not using the Fidelio's own cable or should that have no bearing on it?

Sep 6, 2017 at 7:23 AM Post #633 of 1,519
Does anyone happen to use this with a V-Moda Boom Mic attached? I've hooked up my Fidelio X2s to the GSX via the Boom Mic's cables which don't allow for the Fidelio's cable to be attached and I've noticed a distinct drop in base as a result (this could be a result of me not configuring the mic properly as it won't acknowledge that I'm making sound into it). I'm not enough of an Audiophile to identify if any other sound elements are changed but the base is quite clearly lowered.

Is this likely to be a result of not using the Fidelio's own cable or should that have no bearing on it?

You are using the splitter included with the BoomPro, yes?
I don't like the BoomPro though, both cables I've used had channel imbalance so now the BoomPro sits glued to my speaker.

Sep 6, 2017 at 7:26 AM Post #634 of 1,519
I'm using the splitter yeah. I've no idea if I've got each bit in the right place though, I'm sure it's immediately obvious how it all fits together properly but I'm at a loss and a lack of manual doesn't help.

How should it be connected? Am I able to use the headphones own cable?

Sep 6, 2017 at 8:18 AM Post #635 of 1,519
I'm using the splitter yeah. I've no idea if I've got each bit in the right place though, I'm sure it's immediately obvious how it all fits together properly but I'm at a loss and a lack of manual doesn't help.

How should it be connected? Am I able to use the headphones own cable?

There's signs on both.
Yeah, just leave the headphone end of the splitter loose.

Sep 6, 2017 at 11:56 AM Post #637 of 1,519
Just to clarify again, I have the Mic plugged into the X2's cable port (the X2's cable is completely unused here) I then connect the end of the mic volume box into the Y Splitter that came with it and then I connect the headphone jack into the headphone port and the mic jack into the mic port.

I get sound from the headset still, but it loses bass. Is there a way of using the X2's cable but still use the Mic as well?

Sep 6, 2017 at 9:19 PM Post #638 of 1,519
I'm using large speakers and surround. with my stereo headphones. LMAO.... I don't mind left and right channels not being very dynamic, I find thats an advantage even though most would deem it broken. I just hope its not considered poor sportsmanship. I asked this on the forums and people think I'm nuts. so screw it. Time to pwn in 2017.

Its still definitely more surround sounding then putting bf1 in stereo mode. Theres a big difference and i can hear rear sounds. This is still very shocking to me and I'm wondering if I'm from another planet...

The Game Zeros might be a big factor in this though, cause when I hooked up my hd 202's, it didn't sound like I was getting surround sound. no soundstage at all sounded like stereo and pretty bad. I tried really hard to hear the rear sounds, and everything just sounded left and right. So more mind boggling stuff, cause game zeros are also stereo headphones....lmao.

So whether surround mode setting for bf1 in game works properly might depend on the headphiones more then I thought. Surprisingly, even the stereo game zeros seem to be indeed made for gaming, and I hear perfect surround sound in bf1. rear sounds are behind me perfectly. My mind is even more blown now. I guess soundstage is what matters most.

If getting studio headphones I'd probably have to definitely get open back, and who knows if it would even be as good. Its why I went with the game zeros after trying out the game ones, simply to have a good closed back set for more noise isolation, designed for gaming. At least I bet right on those. Didn't think noise isolation would be as good as game ones, but they are. So is the bass contrary to what most online reviews say.

Not much of a surprise here though with the hd 202's for gaming cause in the gsx they were totally unusable. so muddy and bassy you couldn't make out any needed sounds and turning up volume hurt my ears.

Last edited:
Sep 7, 2017 at 1:02 PM Post #640 of 1,519
Nah, soundstage and quality wise, the game zeros are really nice. I'm gaming with a pair of HD598 and a GSP 300, both give perfect surround with the GSX 1000 in BF1.

ya didn't realize this. So the only difference between the headphones marketed as surround is probably the special software they have designed for it. I bet if you could make those work with the game zero's hardwareid would be even better cause they really are awesome.

So basically if its designed for "gaming" really does make a difference. I gotta say it.

And ya i tried some surround headphones, like Arctic 7. And i couldn't believe people would buy them, sounded like a tin can over my ears and so cheap sounding for alot of money. So I tried the game ones, and immediately what a difference. I like a very full sound, not muddied, good balanced and the game ones were very filling compared to other tinny game sets.

I was using the pre-built sennheiser 558 eq with sonic studio and it was perfect. definitely a 558 setting work great on the game one. really balanced. And constantly I would hear sounds and think they were coming from someone talking to me or behind me and would pull off the heapdhones and look behind me, and that was just using stereo settings.

That has happened to me with the game zeros as well in surround if not as much in stereo, but I can't imagine any closed back headphones having as good a soundstage. I mean wow. and the bass is just as good as the game ones. for sure. but I indeed can't use the prebuilt hd558 setting in sonic studio for the game zeros or it sounds bad. I have to make my own custom one. but even just basic dynamic preset sounds great with them.

Last edited:
Sep 10, 2017 at 9:04 PM Post #641 of 1,519
Guys, My Game Zeros cannot handle this song I think. Something aboutt this mid-high range sound in it, like the hard plucking of a guitar or bass string? lol i dunno but it sounds like the left ear pops at around 1:02 into the video right when the song changes into the next verse or chorus whatever it is.

Do you guys hear the same thing?

BI played it with my room logitech speakers and I wasn't hearing it. Doesn't seem to matter how I change the eq. this is the only song this happens with, very weird.

Thanks in advance for the help.

Last edited:
Sep 16, 2017 at 12:43 PM Post #642 of 1,519
Forgot to say earlier only thing that happens when putting windows to 5.1/7/1 instead of stereo, is it sounds tinny and crappy garbage sounding. Putting windows to stereo and then surround in game, sounds way way better, way more bass and fuller sound. same exact directional ques, but less overwhelming.

Sep 16, 2017 at 11:07 PM Post #643 of 1,519
Could just be that your ear-head/shape/structure doesn't work too well with the generic HRTF solutions that are out there.

I get brilliant rear cues on all the ones I try, but an absolute muddy mess when it comes to frontal on most.

The GSX is by far the best working solution for frontal cues for me, but still only to 30-40 degrees forward of my ears.

For interest - how/where do the sounds in this video appear for you? (run in straight stereo with no effects/processing at all)

Sep 18, 2017 at 9:46 AM Post #644 of 1,519
Could just be that your ear-head/shape/structure doesn't work too well with the generic HRTF solutions that are out there.

I get brilliant rear cues on all the ones I try, but an absolute muddy mess when it comes to frontal on most.

The GSX is by far the best working solution for frontal cues for me, but still only to 30-40 degrees forward of my ears.

For interest - how/where do the sounds in this video appear for you? (run in straight stereo with no effects/processing at all)

who are you responding too? I don't have any complaints about my game zeros. And at this point, I assume they are better for gaming then your 400 dollar studio headphones when it comes to HRTF.

Most people would say that rear sounds are what they have a problem with. But in that video it is indeed hard to tell front sounds. I hear them in that vid but rear ques are louder.

Although, I don't have that problem in bf1. I think the video is the problem. And I believe the video/recording was the problem in my previous post too about the left ear popping.

Imo, the gsx turns my game zeros into a muffled muddy mess. My onboard is clearer and better for positional sounds in bf1 and makes the gsx look like a scam product and a downgrade. I don't understand how supposed "audiophiles" could recommend it.

Maybe I got a defective unit, although I doubt it. I didn't bother to exchange it, because its not gonna be better then my onboard anyways, especially for the price.

Last edited:
Sep 19, 2017 at 2:39 AM Post #645 of 1,519
For me I've yet to notice any difference between Asus Strix RAID DLX and GSX . but I've not yet played any good game, because I waited for OLED and Dream Screen (philips ambilight alike) so soon I'll play GTA , Witcher 3 and I could enjoy the sound. the sound is good, but ESX sound chipset is the best chipset in the world for sound as I believe . it just feels right

Users who are viewing this thread

Back