Sennheiser Gains New MOMENTUM
Sep 15, 2012 at 9:16 PM Post #316 of 461
Such a tempting product, but judging by Jude's description of the bass response I fear my HD25 may make them sound slow by comparison.

This is a very good point but I don't recall Jude talking about their speed. Just read it again and he said that he prefer "a bit tighter" bass. That can be interpret has being slow ??

Sep 15, 2012 at 9:27 PM Post #317 of 461
Quote:
This is a very good point but I don't recall Jude talking about their speed. Just read it again and he said that he prefer "a bit tighter" bass. That can be interpret has being slow ??

Slow by comparison :), in my experience the HD25 has a tendency to do that in comparisons. I still have my fingers crossed that the Momentum has the accuracy to hold its own.

... maybe I'm just hooked on that thump...

Sep 16, 2012 at 12:34 AM Post #318 of 461
Thanks Jude!
Good for Sennheiser for recognizing the mass market and giving them a superior product tuned to their taste.

If I had my druthers, I'd take less of a bass bump; but do like my classical on the warm side, and not as sterile as some others like it. Truth be told, I was actually hoping for a closed version of the HD598. Yet I'm still itching to check them out when mine arrive later this week.  Who knows, they may be exactly what I'm looking for to pair with the iPod Nano that I keep in my office. 

I wonder if plugging them into an iPhone will tame the bass a bit.  In my experience, many headphones sound bass-light straight out of an iPhone compared to other devices.  

Sep 16, 2012 at 6:01 PM Post #319 of 461
Turns out I live fairly close to RDD. Spoke with Brian, going over there tomorrow to pick up a pair. Hopefully they sound as good as jude lets on :) I think I'll like them a lot either way. I may end up keeping my DT880s anyway. I don't want to have to choose between them!

Sep 17, 2012 at 7:29 PM Post #320 of 461
Just picked them up. First impressions: VERY sexy. Let me just say they are not as big as they look in the pictures. In fact they don't quite go around my ears, but more around the rim of my ears. Unless you have fairly small ears, they probably won't go all the way over your ears. Ears. Listening to some electronic/dubstep right now (Gemini - Blue EP) and the bass isn't nearly as overpronounced as some people might worry about. If I put my E17 at a flat EQ, it's not overbearing in any way. I actually turned up the bass a bit. I have the bass at +2dB and the treble at +4dB. They seem pretty clear just from this one song, but it will take hours of listening to definitively say. I get the feeling these will only sound better with burn-in. My DT880s didn't impress me at all for the first 5 hours or so, but I think they got noticeably better between the 5 and 15 hour marks. They isolate fairly well for their size and the earcups, despite going on the outer rims of my ear, are very soft and comfortable.

Now listening to Infected Mushroom - Never Mind. These headphones are actually fairly quick and they sound great. It's making me excited for how they'll sound 10 or 20 or 50 hours from now. Can't wait to get familiar with these bad boys. Their signature does sound slightly warmer than the DT880s I have, but it's so much fuller in my opinion. That's not to say the Beyers don't sound awesome, but I find the mids to be a little recessed in them. I'm loving these cans right now.

Sep 17, 2012 at 7:35 PM Post #321 of 461
Quote:
Just picked them up. First impressions: VERY sexy. Let me just say they are not as big as they look in the pictures. In fact they don't quite go around my ears, but more around the rim of my ears. Unless you have fairly small ears, they probably won't go all the way over your ears. Ears. Listening to some electronic/dubstep right now (Gemini - Blue EP) and the bass isn't nearly as overpronounced as some people might worry about. If I put my E17 at a flat EQ, it's not overbearing in any way. I actually turned up the bass a bit. I have the bass at +2dB and the treble at +4dB. They seem pretty clear just from this one song, but it will take hours of listening to definitively say. I get the feeling these will only sound better with burn-in. My DT880s didn't impress me at all for the first 5 hours or so, but I think they got noticeably better between the 5 and 15 hour marks. They isolate fairly well for their size and the earcups, despite going on the outer rims of my ear, are very soft and comfortable.

Now listening to Infected Mushroom - Never Mind. These headphones are actually fairly quick and they sound great. It's making me excited for how they'll sound 10 or 20 or 50 hours from now. Can't wait to get familiar with these bad boys. Their signature does sound slightly warmer than the DT880s I have, but it's so much fuller in my opinion. That's not to say the Beyers don't sound awesome, but I find the mids to be a little recessed in them. I'm loving these cans right now.

Congratulation on being one of the first to hear these.  Can you compare the bass to any other headphones?  Would you consider these basshead cans merged with audiophile mids and highs?  How is the punch and impact of the bass compared to other headphones?  Can you reproduce the sense that you are in a club when listening to electronic/dubstep?  So many questions......

Sep 17, 2012 at 7:40 PM Post #322 of 461
Quote:
...the bass isn't nearly as overpronounced as some people might worry about. If I put my E17 at a flat EQ, it's not overbearing in any way. I actually turned up the bass a bit....

...Their signature does sound slightly warmer than the DT880s I have, but it's so much fuller in my opinion. That's not to say the Beyers don't sound awesome, but I find the mids to be a little recessed in them. I'm loving these cans right now.

So you mean to say the Beyer's have slight recessed mids then eh?

I'm totally a Senn sound signature fan, so this may seem like a great upgrade for my ATH-m50; the k550 are definitely going back (but the retailer's return policy is generous enough for me to do a good A-Bing).

I would never call myself a bass head, but I do find myself quite enjoying the LCD2's sound even though reviewers seem to universally say the LCD2s are a bass lover headphones (but I don't find them overly bassy for me).

TWO MORE DAYS!! -=D

Sep 17, 2012 at 7:41 PM Post #323 of 461
Quote:
Congratulation on being one of the first to hear these.  Can you compare the bass to any other headphones?  Would you consider these basshead cans merged with audiophile mids and highs?  How is the punch and impact of the bass compared to other headphones?  Can you reproduce the sense that you are in a club when listening to electronic/dubstep?  So many questions......

I don't claim to know a bunch of fancy terms but I'll try to describe it the best I can. The only reference I have is the HD280 and the DT880 250ohm. The bass is better than the HD280s. It has more punch, whereas I found the 280s to be a bit muddy. The mids are much better than the DT880s, but I can't quite recall the 280s being anything special in that department. Man, now that I think about it, the 280s don't seem special in any department. Haha. The highs are not bad at all, not quite as crisp as the DT880s but I can hear tons of depth in every song I listen to. Echoes, artists breathing, that sort of thing. They definitely sound fun, versus analytical. Keep in mind I've been listening to them for less than an hour. I imagine the drivers need to warm and loosen up. It's quite chilly here today as well. Also the cord nowhere near as long as the Beyers but I think that's the point. And I don't look like I'm landing a plane with them on!

Oh, and the other cord that it comes with, without the controls, doesn't have the swivel plug on it. But the pause/play/skip function of the center button does work with my Galaxy S III, just not the volume.

Sep 17, 2012 at 7:45 PM Post #324 of 461
Nice impressions Yokken. My Momentum should be arriving in a few days (RazorDog sent them out today). Your impressions leave me hopeful and excited. I don't mind bass as long as it's not overdone and Full-Mids are a must. I hate recessed mids. I'm happy the bass isn't overwhelming, which makes sense since this is Sennheiser.
biggrin.gif

Sep 17, 2012 at 7:47 PM Post #325 of 461
Quote:
Nice impressions Yokken. My Momentum should be arriving in a few days (RazorDog sent them out today). Your impressions leave me hopeful and excited. I don't mind bass as long as it's not overdone and Full-Mids are a must. I hate recessed mids. I'm happy the bass isn't overwhelming, which makes sense since this is Sennheiser.
biggrin.gif

I am so tempted to order these even though I am also awaiting a preorder of the M-100.  So often I read of bass-heavy headphones with recessed mids.  It is great to hear that is not the case with Momentum, although maybe not so great for my wallet.

Sep 17, 2012 at 7:50 PM Post #326 of 461
Quote:

I don't claim to know a bunch of fancy terms but I'll try to describe it the best I can. The only reference I have is the HD280 and the DT880 250ohm. The bass is better than the HD280s. It has more punch, whereas I found the 280s to be a bit muddy. The mids are much better than the DT880s, but I can't quite recall the 280s being anything special in that department. Man, now that I think about it, the 280s don't seem special in any department. Haha. The highs are not bad at all, not quite as crisp as the DT880s but I can hear tons of depth in every song I listen to. Echoes, artists breathing, that sort of thing. They definitely sound fun, versus analytical. Keep in mind I've been listening to them for less than an hour. I imagine the drivers need to warm and loosen up. It's quite chilly here today as well. Also the cord nowhere near as long as the Beyers but I think that's the point. And I don't look like I'm landing a plane with them on!

Oh, and the other cord that it comes with, without the controls, doesn't have the swivel plug on it. But the pause/play/skip function of the center button does work with my Galaxy S III, just not the volume.

Based on your initial comments, I think I want these.  I have not heard the HD280, but thought the HD380 was light on bass.  Beyer is known for recessed mids, so Momentum wins there and you mention the highs on Momentum are not as "crisp" as the DT880.  I tried the DT880 and felt they were too bright, so, along with Jude's review, Momentum may be hitting my sweet spot.  It's a shame it's such an ugly headphone...... :wink:

Sep 17, 2012 at 7:57 PM Post #327 of 461
Do the smart thing and wait for just a few more impressions to come in before pulling the trigger. You may find that my ear is not as well trained as I think it is. Not trying to inject any fear or doubt, but these are just my initial impressions and they may change over time. But for right now, they sound as good as a $350 headphone should right out of the box... even though I'm sure $100 of that is for style alone.

And I am still trying to find the right position on my ears. I've been shifting them around a bit trying to get what feels like the best seal.

Sep 17, 2012 at 8:01 PM Post #328 of 461
Quote:
Do the smart thing and wait for just a few more impressions to come in before pulling the trigger. You may find that my ear is not as well trained as I think it is. Not trying to inject any fear or doubt, but these are just my initial impressions and they may change over time. But for right now, they sound as good as a $350 headphone should right out of the box... even though I'm sure $100 of that is for style alone.

And I am still trying to find the right position on my ears. I've been shifting them around a bit trying to get what feels like the best seal.

Sound advice, especially since the don't seem to fit perfectly and I'm wondering how comfortable you find them for long listening sessions as my ears are not as big as Chef Robert Irvine's, but they are larger than average.

robert-irvine_med.jpg

Sep 17, 2012 at 8:03 PM Post #329 of 461
Quote:
Sound advice, especially since the don't seem to fit perfectly and I'm wondering how comfortable you find them for long listening sessions as my ears are not as big as Chef Robert Irvine's, but they are larger than average.

robert-irvine_med.jpg

Well what confuses me is how jude can say they are comfortable enough to wear for hours at a time without taking them off. Either he has really small ears, or just big enough where the cups will fit perfectly on the edge.

Sep 17, 2012 at 8:37 PM Post #330 of 461

They look pretty average sized to me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back