Sennheiser from the past - HD250 Linear 1, coming soon HD540 HD560 Ovation2, HD450, HD480 II, HD480 Classic and Surrounder
Mar 29, 2012 at 4:37 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

daydesiang

100+ Head-Fier
I had bought a few older model Sennheiser, at first I just thinking of collect some headphone just for the fun of it... until I came across a few model~ 

Well since I dont have any proper setup, so I cant do a proper review on each of them~ today I'll start with HD250 Linear MK1

= HD250 Linear MK1 =

photo borrow from nkkuma1 (since I bought from him)

Description of Manual

General Description
The HD 250 Linear are closed dynamic hi-fi stereo headphones with the
feel of an open design. They are an ideal choice not only for professional
monitoring and live sound recording, but also for use with high-end hi-fi
systems where they ensure undisturbed enjoyment of music.

Features
- Precise sound reproduction with wide dynamics
- Extremely lightweight aluminium voice coils ensure an excellent transient response
- Neodymium ferrous magnet systems for optimum sensitivity
- Diffuse field equalised for unadulterated listening
- Detachable OFC copper cable, very low handling noise

Technical Data

Frequency response ..................... 5 – 40,000 Hz (– 10 dB/1 kHz)
10 – 25,000 Hz (–3 dB/1 kHz)
Transducer principle................................................ dynamic, closed
Frequency characteristic .............................diffuse field equalised
Nominal impedance ................................................................. 300 Ω
Characteristic SPL .....................................106 dB (at 1 kHz, 1 Vrms)
Load rating............................................................................. 200 mW
THD ........................................................................................... < 0.2 %
Ear coupling ......................................................................circumaural
Contact pressure.............................................................................3 N
Weight (without cable)............................................................ 215 g
Connector ............................. 3.5 mm Ø stereo mini jack plug with
adaptor to 1/4” (6.3 mm) stereo jack plug
Connection cable................................................. 3 m, detachable,
dual-sided OFC copper cable

Initial Impression

At first I would like to thank nkkuma1 who sold me this HD250. When I received it i was shock that they looks like brand new!!! Except that the inner ear foam is broken, the whole headphone looks perfectly unaged! Even the earpads looks brand new and the cable still very soft! When I first put it on, it feels so light, no clamping force! Its a very comfortable headphone~

Sound Impression

As stated above, I doesn't have a proper setup to do a proper review. Therefore I'll just post an impression based on my current setup. Plus I had removed the inner foam since I still cant get one in my country. So, my review might not be accurate.

After I played with a few songs I feel that this is a perfect headphone for trance music! Yes, it may have a recessed mid but the bass respond is great, it hits hard and it deep enough. The treble is perfect for these kinda of music, it feels like I'm inside a club! Even underpowered (300ohm) direct from my source, it still can bring out the details of the musics~ the instruments/music was moving from left to right (up and down) smoothly. The soundstage is big for a closed headphone, still not as big as open can. Well, for my case I believe that it sounds tiny if compare to modern headphones, hence the separation between instruments is good!

Overall, I would say it sounds like you're in a big club and having a nice party~ :wink:

Move on to other musics, I didnt listen much to rock music so I would like to skip on rock musics. When I play some modern pop, pop, classic with it, it perform very good on the music/instruments part but slightly let down on the vocal part. Well the slightly recessed mid doesnt bother me since it give me a better vocal imagine.As I mention above I removed the inner foam, it makes the vocal thin and sharp. Slightly sharper than what I prefer. Let me put it this way, when the performer sing 'sssS' (or from lower pitch to higher pitch), it sounds abit sharper than it should.From the other review HD250 bass is slightly stronger and may outperform the mid and highs, but for my case it sounds right, when i plays jazz, the bass doesnt kill the overall sound but brings out the jazz-motion. When come to classic, instruments sounds accurate and at the correct position, but just the vocal still slightly sharp and thin for some.

Overall, I would say it sounds like you're inside a studio room/smaller closed room. Or something like you listen to slow music at night where your surrounding is quite at lower volume.

Here's a quote from TNT-Audio http://www.tnt-audio.com/ampli/solo_e.html - when he compare HD650 with HD250 Linear MK2

Now to the 650's. Not at all what I expected. Suddenly here was a full-range set of headphones, seamless from top to bottom with the most delightful easy presentation and bass to die for. Utterly, utterly transformed. They made the 250's sound like a toy town orchestra.

I agree with him with this statement. HD250 do sounds small if compare to HD650. Something like the whole band is inside your headphone while HD650 sound more like you're at live if compare.

Conclusion

I love this headphone alot! Listen to it at night is a real enjoyment~

Please bear in mind that I'm just a Mid-Headfi, my opinion stuck with my experience~ and a better equipment will bring this headphone to another level. More impression to come as I'll try it with a better source :)

Mar 29, 2012 at 6:00 AM Post #5 of 14
Great Idea!
I have a few older Sennheiser Headphones, actually two HD545s. One had the foam degrading on the ear pads and the driver dust cover. I grabbed some old Stax earpads from an SR5 and some koss foam and made a little frankenstein out of one of them. Surprisingly the foam dust cover makes very little difference. The pads made more of a difference even though either is minimal even comparing directly.

The HD250 that lost the dust cover should be considered an accurate review.
Nice, I've always wondered what these older models might sound like. I suspect they all have the smooth signature of the modern line.

Apr 11, 2012 at 8:21 AM Post #7 of 14
Too bad the shipping fee to Malaysia is very expensive~ but i think i have to order one asap since the HD250 tuning is great as a 'whole'

i once recable it and it turn to the worst~ even with pure silver or pure copper, it will sounds either very bassy or very treble hot~

Apr 11, 2012 at 8:47 AM Post #8 of 14
Maybe you can try a Sennheiser representative in Malaysia? If you are lucky they might have it on stock somewhere so you can save up on shipping.

In the worst case I can send you a pair as it is not so expensive locally so sometimes I visit them and buy some foams and pads (I have several pairs)

I think the stock cable is fine as it is, the biggest upgrade you can get in the long-term is a more transparent source and powerful amp.

Feb 28, 2015 at 6:25 PM Post #9 of 14
Long shot but im after a pair of cusions for my Hd 450......my first real headphones, back to 1980......any help, cant seem to find any, will any other senn numbers fit these 450 ?... thanks

Mar 1, 2015 at 2:26 AM Post #10 of 14
Sennheiser sell spares for the HD450 at http://headphonespares.sennheiser.co.uk/hifi-tv-headphones/hd-450
Earpads £11.36 and a cable for £22..

Mar 1, 2015 at 2:36 AM Post #11 of 14
This might be a little off topic, but its a fun walk down memory lane for me.  My first headphone was the Senn MS100.  I was 13 when I bought it in 1984.  At $80 that was a lot of dough for a middle school kid.

Its a high-res .pdf and slow loading.

http://lcweb2.loc.gov/master/mbrs/recording_preservation/manuals/Sennheiser%20%28Misc.%29%20%281%29.pdf

Just thought I'd share

Mar 1, 2015 at 2:43 AM Post #12 of 14
£11 wow not cheap for a small bit of foam, .looking at ebay cant find anything for the 450, only simalar size for the 433......not sure if they will fit ? These phones brand newconly cost £20..

Mar 6, 2015 at 4:48 PM Post #13 of 14
these are my hd 450....so any help please let me know.....thanks....

largesennheiser-hd450-new.jpg

Mar 10, 2015 at 12:10 PM Post #14 of 14

Users who are viewing this thread

Back